Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Powder, Primers, and Ammunition Oh My....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Powder, Primers, and Ammunition Oh My....
    Posted: April 04 2021 at 9:43am
Just heard a very interesting conspiracy theory about the ammunition and reloading supply shortage.
 "The reason you are seeing this shortage has nothing to do with a shortage and everything to do with the 2nd Amendment.  The Right to Keep and Bear Arms shall not be infringed.
So, go ahead and keep and bear those arms. Won't do you no good with no bullets to shoot out of them. Your government officials have blocked the ammunition manufacturers from selling to the public anymore. This will also boost a future buy back program. The bottomline is that, the 2nd Amendment will still be there. You just have to get good at using a Slingshot or Wrist Rocket or BBGun again."  Retired AZ Senator Driggs
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2021 at 10:00am
Ammunition is still for sale to the public, it’s just at ridiculous prices and it sells within a few hours.  It might be that the government has cornered a lot of the production too, that’s happened before.  

It does seem that primers and powder is just not making it to the retailers, and that might be because it’s being used for ammunition production. 

I do admit, something does not smell right here.   It’s lasted a long time.  I’ve not seen any of my go to match powder (Varget) for sale in a few years now.  It’s made by ADI in Australia, maybe they are shut down...
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2021 at 10:10am
The commentary I supplied made me chuckle and then I remembered that I was at Big 5 Sporting Goods a few days back. The shelves that normally would be stocked with shotguns and rifles along with ammunition ranging from 22 through to 45-70, is now stocked with BB Guns. One box of 17HMR sitting all by itself on the bottom shelf however. Does give one pause for thought...
WilliamS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WilliamS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2021 at 10:46am
One thing I've noticed is that there are a LOT of new gun owners right now. So while many of us are used to buying at pre-panic prices and stocking up, there's a large, fresh market that has no ammo (creating a sense of urgency) and also no benchmark for what prices are supposed to be, so they just assume that $1/round of 9x19mm is normal. Not sure how long it will take until ammunition manufacturers decide that adding machinery will remain profitable in the long term but I would bet it will be another 1-2 years of ammo drought before they do, and another 2ish years to get caught up with demand in the major calibers and start running the oddball stuff again.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2021 at 11:04am
I have just enough 22, 303, and 308 to keep me afloat for a couple of years. My issue is finding 12 and 20 gauge ammunition,  as well as 9mm and 45 ACP. 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2021 at 11:26am
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2021 at 9:44pm
just because your paranoid doesnt mean they are not after you , 

specially when they have repeatedly said , out loud , THEY ARE !
they have made no bones about it even announcing in the last campaign they are coming for them , now just how stupid do yall think we should be about all this "keep your second" BS , they have taken control of the first already , this will never go away till its once again unfavorable to be communist in this country , but then i even want them to have free speech and the right to arm themselves , i just want them looked on with the anti-american view they hold , 
Marco1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 9:11pm
Read on the net that between August 2020 and January 2021 there has been over 5 Million new firearm owners in the USA.  and that 85% of these are women.  these are people who have never before owned or used a firearm. No wonder you guys are struggling to find ammo etc.
Stackbar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stackbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2021 at 1:26am
Marco1010 how’s the supply in your part of the country? It’s gone back to normal here in Taupo, 
Marco1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2021 at 2:33pm
We are still short on many of the common powders used, in saying that I have just had to try IMR or Hogdon instead of the usual ADI i use.  Gunworks still have a fair range, just limiting orders to 1 bottle per purchaser.  Primers were out of stock for a while, but more come available lately.
Certainly haven't had to go down the black power route like our friends in the USA.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2021 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Marco1010 Marco1010 wrote:

We are still short on many of the common powders used, in saying that I have just had to try IMR or Hogdon instead of the usual ADI i use.  Gunworks still have a fair range, just limiting orders to 1 bottle per purchaser.  Primers were out of stock for a while, but more come available lately.
Certainly haven't had to go down the black power route like our friends in the USA.
I just threw out the BP option for those who are in short supply of the normal stuff...
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2021 at 9:20pm
remember guys this happened when clinton was elected - again when BO was elected , its happened again with this election , the prices adjust and the game comes back in the end , im not going to the dark side just yet , my gunclub got a shipment of shotgun she!!s and some rifle and handgun ammo in the desired calibers - not a lot but enough to tide us over for the beginning of the season , prices have gone up and i doubt they will drop significantly in the near future but ....there is ammo coming back , 

that said we are in the heart of the pending disturbance of "the trial" and the police range was active across the road this weekend and this week so far - ive not heard that much gunfire in a single day as monday in a single location - ever , the cops have no shortage , if those that are contemplating unrest could have heard it [60 miles south of me] they would stay home and watch TV when whatever might happen was starting up , 
im also aware of the depth and breadth of the mobilization efforts , ill not go anywhere near the cities anytime soon , my personal contact is the DIL that has been put on alert with the national guard , but i have law enforcement friends and even DNR enforcement friends that are also packed for mobilization , any idiot would stay home if they knew just how deep this threat prevention is getting , 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic