Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

303 rear sight question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatorshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 303 rear sight question
    Posted: April 04 2021 at 8:47pm
I have been lurking here a while. Trying to learn. So I have a E.R. Stamped wrist, ftr in 1953, barrel is BSA stamped with either 18.5 or 19.5 tons and bnp stamp. Mk III. Barrel appears new. Chamber has a abrupt shoulder, throat was measured with soft lead slug at .315. Fired cases are .314 id,  Has 5 groove LH twist. The mag cut off slot is present but parts are missing and stock is covering slot.

Question is a windage adjustable rear sight correct for a pre ww1 rifle and if so where could I locate one?
My NOE 316, 213 gr hits really far right at 50. From what I remember it used to shoot 180 Remington coreloks point of aim at 100. But that was with my high school aged eyes. I’m a lot older now and can’t find any factory Remington to test. So would like to be able to adjust without drifting front. My grandfather gave me this rifle he purchased in late 60s we didn’t shoot three boxes out of it back then,  Just pulled it out of the safe decided to get my son interested in the history etc...
 Any information will help. 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 11:26am
Nice to have a rifle that's been in the family for a long time! Great to be able to pass on.
It looks to be in great condition.
For testing purposes; I would suggest trying to get some PPU 174 grain .303 ammo. It is very good and accurate. This will give you some idea if the rifle has lost it's accuracy after being stored for a long time. The Enfields are sensitive to the fit of the woodwork, if it's loosened through shrinkage, or warped in anyway it can cause accuracy problems.
Check the main trigger guard screw for tightness. If it groups well that is just off centre, you can drift the front sight to get it centred left or right.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Gatorshooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatorshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 12:00pm
thanks! I have some ppu new .311 soft points and new brass will work up a load eventually. Only factory loads are one or two boxes of seller and bellot fmj. How is that for accuracy?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 1:12pm
S&B shoots well, but is problematic to reload.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 8:15pm
Howdy Gatorshooter;
Tidbit;Please to note,
If you ever decide to purchase (change over to) a Mklll adjustable windage sight you might (prolly will) find most of them where heavily pinned (LOC post 1916) into the center position rendering the wheel adjustment basically useless.
Cheer’s.
Anyone seen the Tardis Box anywhere? 🤨
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 8:27pm
your rifle appears to be a 1907 Enfield made mkIII , it would indeed have originally had the cutoff and windage adjustable rear sight - so yes that would be correct per your original question , 

that said it would most likely have lost both in the FTR , the mkIII* stock was most likely installed when the cutoff was removed [somewhat of a guess pr leap of faith] 

you can find the windage adjustable sight but i do not have a source readily at hand for that , 
SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 8:37pm
Gatorshooter;Howdy again;
Photo;
A pinned type adjustable rear sight.
Just out of curiosity is there any stamp marking on the left wri  side of the action around the safety spring area.
Tidbit:
Just a thought;
Do have a couple of spare after market reproduction Mklll windage adjustable type ladder’s I have tested & tried out.
Cheer’s today.
Gatorshooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatorshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2021 at 4:51pm
stamped ENGLAND on left side of wrist, a 2 on rear of receiver left side, 22/M and some smaller stamps can’t make out on rear right side. 
SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2021 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by Gatorshooter Gatorshooter wrote:

stamped ENGLAND on left side of wrist, a 2 on rear of receiver left side, 22/M and some smaller stamps can’t make out on rear right side. 
Thanks’s 👍
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2021 at 8:47pm
those are mostly import markings but it tells us it came into the country after they were required , 

if you have not done so look here this may be the source you are looking for -
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2021 at 6:04am
SGonger,
Thanks for the photo of the staked sight.
All the ones I have had, and seen , have not been staked in this way.  another variation to watch for!

SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2021 at 6:43am
Originally posted by Pukka Bundook Pukka Bundook wrote:

SGonger,
Thanks for the photo of the staked sight.
All the ones I have had, and seen , have not been staked in this way.  another variation to watch for!

Howdy Pukka;
Yep kinda strange how that works the three Mklll’s we acquired all have the staked windage sight,when looking over the E/ba sale site’s kept running into them there too 🤢 just the luck I reckon.It would be cool to have some like y’all’s good finds 😉👍
Cheer’s today.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2021 at 7:17am
Staking windage adjustable sights was an SOP to "reduce the fragility". I've heard that any staked sights were replaced with fixed windage ones during any FTR so that may account for the dichotomy?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2021 at 7:38am
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

Staking windage adjustable sights was an SOP to "reduce the fragility". I've heard that any staked sights were replaced with fixed windage ones during any FTR so that may account for the dichotomy?
Just an example look;
There’s a 1918 SSA;1936 (Crown over ER X P) rebarrel windage sight just slightly pinned they left on the old girl.
Tidbit;It has a lined over previous looks like S/N C 95*** so henceforth second time usage of the rear sight (ladder)
Cheer’s ole cobber 👍🍻

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2021 at 9:33am
I think you could probably rework the staked sight to allow it to function again. Might be worth a go!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2021 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Zed Zed wrote:

I think you could probably rework the staked sight to allow it to function again. Might be worth a go!

Yep! That was one possibility the other was to purchase some after market type and switch them over etc if needed for the long stretch 1Kyd’s etc throwing lead projectiles.
Photo example of the after market type compared with a 42 made WA Lithgow type.
Cheer’s today.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic