Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

303 rear sight question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatorshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2021 at 11:55am
that is neat. Thanks for the pics. I’ve got a lead on one. So hopefully it’s not staked, or lightly so I can get it moving.
Gatorshooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatorshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2021 at 7:42pm
got a windage adjustable sight in the mail today. A hour or so tinkering a tiny bit of blood and it’s installed. Seems to adjust smoothly with a positive click. It’s in decent shape but on par with my rifle. So I’m happy with it. Obtw never been pinned couple of stamps on underside and a low serial number.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2021 at 8:28pm
be sure to wipe that bit of blood off it causes rust , glad you are getting what you needed 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 10:30am
Looking good!
So how about a range report soon?
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 11:12am
Originally posted by Gatorshooter Gatorshooter wrote:

got a windage adjustable sight in the mail today. A hour or so tinkering a tiny bit of blood and it’s installed. Seems to adjust smoothly with a positive click. It’s in decent shape but on par with my rifle. So I’m happy with it. Obtw never been pinned couple of stamps on underside and a low serial number.
A good find 👍
Any chance of a photo of the underside marking etc?
And good luck on the range time zeroing.
Cheer’s.
Anyone seen the Tardis Box anywhere? 🤨
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatorshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 3:33pm
I’ll post pics and a range report this weekend. Got a ladder worked up with ppu 180 sp and ppu brass. Varget. Last weekend cast a bunch of 316” 213 gr Noe RN. Gotta powder coat and GC. Going to set up the chrono and lead sled so should be fun. I’ll get a pic of underside of the sight then. BRP said condition was fair. So I wasn’t expecting much. The sight seems to work as it should with normal wear on pin hole. I may replace the pivot pin later but it will work for now. 
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 5:17pm
I picked up this set a while ago but not sure I will use it. I'll list it if I don't. Not staked but at some point a set screw was used to stabilize the aperture. I also took the barrel mount sleeve as it has the reusable pivot pin with key/cotter-pin hole at one end. I just wanted the range slider with micro screw. Adjustment L&R works fine.

The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatorshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 6:28pm
underside of the new to me sight
SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 11:23am
A good looking one it is too!
With a bit of a past (history) being used twice previously 😉👍!
Can’t unfortunately make out the maker or see any inspection view marks....prolly around there somewhere.
Cheer’s today.
Anyone seen the Tardis Box anywhere? 🤨
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatorshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 7:39pm
I’ll see if I can get better pics. Sized and coated bullets today. 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatorshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 4:12pm
more pics of sight

MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 7:18pm
Good job !
The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatorshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 7:31pm
thanks I like the way yours has that keeper pin. I’m going to replace my pin don’t like the way mine doesn’t fully engage “ears” on the left side when I reinstalled it. It’s only 1/2 way through. Not sure what’s appropriate a roll pin, a soft steel that is staked..???
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatorshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2021 at 12:28pm
I like the adj sight! 
range was very wet from all the rain so only 45 yds. Shot the ladder with Varget 38/39/39.5/40 gr ppu once fired brass, .311 180 gr sp, Lee neck sized only. Seated to groove, lightly Lee factory crimp to hold bullet.  First string 38 gr barely on paper 3” group, adjusted windage next was 39 gr approximately 2” group but in 8 ring. 39.5 sweet spot 8/9 ring all three rounds .459” center to center directly over the x .. 40 gr 3” group ( but I called a flyer my bad) still not as good as the 39.5 gr load. Funny that it had bigger sd. On chrono, avg 2149.6 FPS . Than The 38 gr was avg 2108.3 FPS.  Note pic turned sideways bullets impacted above red dot not on side this was best group I fired on jacketed sps 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatorshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2021 at 12:42pm
Cast was Noe 316” 213 gr rn ww. Sized .314 gc and powder coated shake and bake. Eastwood green. 28 gr h4895 1/4th sheet of Kleenex filler, 3 shots 1876,1787,1907 FPS so SD not to good, first time using filler.. maybe last??? 45 yds off lead sled. Pic sideways again ? Sorry 
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2021 at 4:30am
 You should not need fillers with H4895.  

If you edit the photo first then re-save it, it will load in the correct orientation.  

If you have more Varget, try repeating 39.0, 39.5 and 40.0 grains at 100 yards, at least 5 shots each, preferably 10.   That will determine if your results are repeatable. 

How dirty was the bore after shooting? Varget and H4895 burns very clean in a good barrel.  

My go to No. 4 shooter has a lot of rounds down the tube, more than 5,000 for sure (wished I had tracked it).  It’s badly fire cracked, looks like alligator skin in the borescope.  After a 35 round match it fouls something awful.  I have to clean it several times after shooting, letting it soak in Hoppes 9.   But, that barrel still puts the hits in the X ring at 200. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic