Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Hunting with the .303 British cartridge.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

40 years to get my Enfield

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2021 at 1:30pm
.....Hug.....
Dr. Hillbilly View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Hillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2021 at 3:22pm
OK Goosic, to continue the theme of fairer and perhaps smarter gender...
As a machinist and amateur historian I have learned that "Rosie the Riveter" was not a riveter

In fact she was a machinist at the Alameda Navel Base.  Her father had been an engineer there, and when the call for help went out both she and her sister applied for jobs. In this image she is precision-shaping gears on a P&W No 2 shaper.

In this image she is regrinding the shaping tools.

As our Enfields are Brit. it should be pointed out that in England they started using women to support the war effort one war before we did.  in WWI they referred to the ladies working in the munitions factories as the "Canary Girls", as the chemicals in the munitions turned their skin yellow, eventually turning their hair yellow, and if they gave birth the babies were yellow.  

Dr. Hillbilly
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2021 at 9:32pm
welcome , im looking at that machinery and remembering what was in my fathers garage that i grew up with , there was a mill that had produced munitions in WWI , my father had run it in WWII early days before enlisting , nothing quite like old cast iron to make a young man feel part of previous generations , 

i never used it for ordinance - neither had my father once it was in our garage , but , it turned out a very fine plectrum banjo from aluminum in the late 60s-early 70s , i think my brother still has and plays it some , 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2021 at 3:06am
Great photos! 
When I was at school, (late 70's) we had proper metalwork class; with lathes, mill's and a forge.
Woodworking we had lathes and chisels etc. It put a lot of kids into a trade.
All that has gone now due to the "safety brigade" so all kid's get are screens. It's not good!
My colleagues in our workshop are in their 20's. None of them know how to sharpen a drill bit; or tap a thread. But they're all very good at looking at their cell phones!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2021 at 5:27am
The guy who rebuilt my Smiths speedo and tach on my ‘68 Velocette has a great machine shop full of old machines, a milling machine dating back to the 1800’s.  They are all powered by overhead belts and pulleys. He has to make his own parts for them.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Hillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2021 at 6:31am
I am in Hot-lanta from time to time, and would love to see that shop.  Does he tolerate visitors?

All of my old machines were originally driven by belt from the overhead line-shaft, but were converted to electric over the years.  In my new shop I would like to install a steam-engine driven line-shaft for them.  That is not my highest priority, but the machines will be laid out under the future-shaft so they need not be relocated when I get to it.

All of the original machine-tool builders are out of business, so as you observed we must make our own parts, usually without drawings. The job I am retiring from is the design of 3D printers.  My boss loves the old machines so he lets me scan and reverse-engineer the broken parts and then print the new ones on the million+ dollar machines in the factory (a nice fringe benefit!).  Actually I will still do some part-time prototyping for him in retirement so I will have future-machines next to the vintage ones from time to time.

I was ignorant of Velocette and had to Google it.  Way Cool!!!  Which model do you have?

Dr. Hillbilly

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2021 at 2:37pm
1968 Venom Thruxton 500.  Named after the Thruxton field race circuit in England (originally a WW II airfield). 

Rather antiquated in today’s standards:  overhead valve, separate gearbox, magneto ignition, 6volt electrics, open Amal carb, drum brakes.  But, it still will do 100 mph.  

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Hillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2021 at 2:45pm
Beautiful!
Who need more than 100 mph?
Dr. Hillbilly
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2021 at 3:24pm
I'm still drooling over the lady on the De Soto 6!
Loose wimmen tightened here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2021 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Dr. Hillbilly Dr. Hillbilly wrote:

Beautiful!
Who need more than 100 mph?

Agreed, I realized that doing 100 mph is rather foolish at my age (60), but just wanted to know the old girl still has it in her.  Most of my driving is on mountain roads at 40 to 60 mph.  Occasionally I run her up to 70 to 80 mph on the straights.  It’s a good performer for only a 500 cc, small engine in today’s standards, but the 500 single was King back in the 50’s and 60s. This machine won a lot of races in its day. 

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2021 at 3:36pm
Well I did have a Triumph Bonneville that did a little more than that. But who's counting with a classic? Plus it was a 650 bored to 750 Blown & injected with a bunch of other mods.Confused
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2021 at 4:05pm
”Senior” class was limited to 500 cc back then.  Not many machines could beat the Velo, with a racing fairing, it could clock over 120 mph.  Not bad for a production road machine back then...
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2021 at 11:45am
That's a beautiful bike!
 I'm sure that 100mph on that feels a lot faster than 100mph on a modern sports bike!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2021 at 8:35pm
100mph today feels a lot different on any bike than it did when i was in my 20s , im not doing it again in this lifetime but it was fun back then and glad i lived to remember it , just sayin , 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2021 at 10:16pm
I used to compete in the 125 and 250 class of dirt bikes. I know I never went 100 mph on those. My one and only streetbike was a V-Max. Scared the life out of me. Sold it the next day.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 7:34am
I had a Greaves "Scottish" 250 scrambler.
The worst thing I ever had to do was drive it from Brizzle to Penderyn. My butt was numb before I hit the M32 motorway!
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic