Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Hunting with the .303 British cartridge.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

40 years to get my Enfield

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 8:09pm
my triumph would do that to my hands on a long haul , i dont recall my butt getting out of sorts but that was a long time ago .......
Sharpshooter82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharpshooter82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 8:03am
What a great forum,,,guns, bikes, tools, cars and girls!!!

I have never ridden any of the vintage bikes. My current bike is a 2013 Honda Phantom 750. To me unless you are doing a lot of highway cruising the 500-750 bikes are plenty.

I rode the dragon a few years ago and we stayed at a very nice bike friendly motel in Robbinsville. Beautiful area! I live in Jacksonville, Alabama on 11 acres but I grew up in the suburbs of Atlanta. Needles to say I will not live in a large city again.

I have a vacation planned for later this year and we are gonna spend it in the smilies, without the bikes I am sorry to say.

Eric
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 10:15am
I’ve rode The Dragon on the Velo several times over the last 10 years.  It’s a bit frustrating if your behind a car or a Harley.  Not that you can go that fast, it’s a very twisty road, ideal for a great handling bike like the Velocette.  I tell you, it draws a crowd at Deals Gap where the bikers hang out.  They just stare at it wondering what it is.

Most of my riding is two up, which in the mountains works the air cooled 500 single a bit much.  It was not really made for that, it’s in its element at 80 mph on the open roads that are twisty. 

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 10:28am
If you ever find yourself in Oregon between LeGrange and Pendleton on a bike, run Cabbage Patch.
If your in Colorado near Pagosa Springs, run Wolf Creek Pass, both ways. Snoqualmie Pass in Washington State is another fun section of highway. Sacramento east to Truckee up and over Donner Pass. I have never been fortunate enough to ride a bike up and over any of the roads I just described.  I had the unfortunate pleasure of running over those roads in a 1999 W900B Kenworth hauling heavy equipment and freight of all kinds...
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 11:41am
Thats quite a big rig. Would not want to meet it coming the other way, if pressing on with a bike!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 11:50am
You would have loved the engine Zed. The Cummins N14 Celect Plus 575hp with 2100 ft lbs of torque. 
The Cat 988G on the trailer weighed 262,000 pounds.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 12:11pm
I never had butt numb problems with my Bonnie, mind you only about 55% of the in unit motor/clutch/gearbox was Bog stock.Star
I know what you mean about the hands though. One of my mods (I'd completely forgotten) was a John Tickle (I think) or maybe Wal Phillips performance twist grip. It was so simple yet so clever, the drum that the throttle attached to in the grip was bigger in diameter so you didn't have to use 270° to go from "idle" to "FULL CHAT" It also stopped that "broken wrist angle" the factory original had.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Sharpshooter82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharpshooter82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

If you ever find yourself in Oregon between LeGrange and Pendleton on a bike, run Cabbage Patch.
If your in Colorado near Pagosa Springs, run Wolf Creek Pass, both ways. Snoqualmie Pass in Washington State is another fun section of highway. Sacramento east to Truckee up and over Donner Pass. I have never been fortunate enough to ride a bike up and over any of the roads I just described.  I had the unfortunate pleasure of running over those roads in a 1999 W900B Kenworth hauling heavy equipment and freight of all kinds...

I have been down Cabbage Patch and over Donner Pass in a big truck. On the east side I have been across almost all of the "famous" hills. The same rules apply to big trucks for mountain driving and big hills,,,you can run them all day, but you will only do it once fast.
Firearms are meant to be shot,,,not stored!!!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 6:45pm
that has been our trademark - we do answer questions but we also go on tangents that are fun , some may not like it but we enjoy the "diversity" of conversation , you can always bring us back on topic if desired but sometimes its fun to go with the flow - as long as you5r original question got answered , we are an amiable bunch 
Dr. Hillbilly View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Hillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 9:36pm
As a new member I am delighted with the tangents, so I must beg forgiveness to return to my No5 for a moment.  I observe that the the rubber pad is significantly smaller than the traditional plate. When the rubber is rigid that increases the force per unit of area and must make the kick less comfortable rather than better.  So will a plate from a Mk4 or other previous rifle fit the No5 without furniture work?  
Dr. Hillbilly
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Hillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 7:01am
Zed,
Back on page 1 of this thread you requested images of my old cars, so returning to the tangents, here are the first two of them

My son with the Roadster.  Quick-change rear-end, 3-speed top-loader, F7 clutch and pressure-plate, Alum. flywheel, Ross forged high-compression pistons, Isky full-race cam, Merc. long-stroke flathead, Stromberg 97 carbs.

The speedster.  A 29 Model A as typically raced by amateurs in the 30s.  The engine could only take so much HP without breaking so speed was achieved via light weighting them.  So this is finished, and not a work in progress.

I do have two works-in-progress, a 5-window coupe (blown Flathead) and a vintage-class lakester (blown flathead) for the Salt Flats, but those can wait for a dry-spell in tangents
Dr. Hillbilly
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 7:16am
I'm afraid a No4 one will not fit. It has a totally different internal shape. You could put a complete no4 butt on though.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 8:24am
My thoughts exactly, Shamu. It is a Sporter, so a regular No4 butt stock wouldn't be out of place. Would definitely help tame the No5 recoil. Would he need a longer bolt to attach the No4 stock? I suspect the No5 is shorter, or did they compensate by drilling out less wood on the No5 and the bolt is universal?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 12:24pm
I believe you will need the bolt, spring washer & other hardware for it to work.
OR

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 12:38pm
Those are cool Hot rods. I've been a mechanic for over 40 years and love the old stuff; despite the fact that most of my day is with modern British cars.
A friend runs some pre war race cars and I help out during the Le Mans Classic event.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Hillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 1:35pm
Cool!  You are playing with cars worth at least 10X what mine are worth!  I was a volunteer team member on a Salt Flats team for years, but that team is now retired so I will need to build my own.
Dr. Hillbilly
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic