Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Serial number lookup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2021 at 7:59am
Originally posted by Sharpshooter82 Sharpshooter82 wrote:

Sounds good. I watched a video yesterday on the SMLE history,,,1hr 40min long,,,and I thought the Garand history was confusing.

Eric
Loose wimmen tightened here
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2021 at 8:02am
(Flippin' compuikers! )

Sharpshooter;

Just so ya know..the garand (aka: America's rifle) was designed by a French-Canadian. He ended up taking the design Stateside, and working there. Even tho he actually had a patent for it - he died in obscurity.
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2021 at 8:22am
It is rather sad how John Garand was treated.  I remember an interview of one of his neighbors who was a child when JCG was retired.  He lived in a small suburban home.

But, IIRC, all his design work on what became the M1 rifle was at Springfield armory.  He designed a light MG when he worked at US Bureau of Standards in 1917 to 1919.  He started at Springfield Armory in 1919 when he started work on a self loading rifle and it took 15 years to develop the prototype.

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2021 at 12:54pm
slightly off topic; but as with John Garand; other famous engineers gave there best work for the war effort and didn't make a penny from it. Frank Whittle designed and built the first jet engine prior to WWII.
Imagine what that patent would be worth today!
 Also Alan Turing who built the first workable computer for the decryption of the Enigma codes in WW2 was detroyed after the war due to his homosexuality.

It is disgraceful; the lack of thanks for these men who really made a difference

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2021 at 1:19pm
Zed..Garand didn't make it as an expediant for the war effort..he had it presented to various govts prior to the war (but I imagine they knew it was coming - just like this one).
Garand's reward - IIRC was they gave him a job there. (So I guess he didn't starve).
Whittle had developed the engine prior to the impending war as well, IIRC. But no one wanted to listen..It comes down to "We need arms - lots of 'em NOW! We can't wait for later." Saw that in the U.S. Un-Civil war. Brass cartridge, repeating rifles had been invented & were beginning production..but when you need 2+ million rifles NOW, you go with what you've got.
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2021 at 2:26pm
James Paris Lee and many other designers were treated the same way.  Jacob Snider was another.  In many cases the government did not live up to the promises they made to pay award fees or royalties.  JCG died virtually unrecognized for his contributions and there are very few film clips of him.   It was only later that the vital contribution he made to the war was obvious.  

I think JCG did take out numerous patents, but the Army Ordinance essentially owned them as he was working for the government when he developed them.  The other area that few realized is how efficiently he designed the tooling to produce the rifle.  There is a very good book on the Garand, written by Colonel Hatcher, Chief of Army Ordinance, shortly after the War. 

bobcat789 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobcat789 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2022 at 8:19pm
Hi,

I just saw that you were from Brandon and have Lee Enfields. I do have a couple and am from Brandon. I have my dad’s DCRA No 4 Mk 1 and a No 5 Jungle Carbine. Any Lee Enfields for Sale on your end?

Doug
D.Carmichael
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic