Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Health scare

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Health scare
    Posted: April 16 2021 at 10:51am
On April 8th I had the scare of a lifetime. My heart decided to go bonkers and I ended up in the Emergency Room that night. I was discharged from the hospital on the 10th. Atrial fibrillation. They think it was caused by very low potassium. Big question is, why is my potassium running so low? I am undergoing so many tests and have more to come. Upside is there are no blockages around my ticker. I'm also on blood thinners and other meds and it is all making me feel like death warmed over. On top of it all work won't let me take time off. Too busy, the bosses said. I got out of the hospital on Saturday and on Sunday was told I needed to be back in the office the next day. I've already started the process of finding different employment. It's a terrible feeling knowing that after 17 years a software project is more important than my health.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 11:29am
My father (& I ) eat bananas every a.m. My dad had to stop eating them, because it elevated his potassium level too high. (Hasn't affected me ...yet).
You might try that...just sayin
Loose wimmen tightened here
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 11:34am
hey bear , i was wondering at your absence , im so sorry to hear it was health related but glad to hear your back on your feet , keep us up to date on the medical findings , 

hope they can figure out what is causing this , soon too , we want you healthy even if your job is not thinking clearly , keep us informed as to new employment status and take care not to let the current one put you back in the hospital , i dont get their thinking here but at least your thinking clearly , 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 11:59am
Bear. I had a very similar issue while I was in route delivering a piece of heavy equipment to a jobsite.  I was lucky enough to be right in front of a hospital.  I got the rig parked safely and went inside. While still hooked up to all the machines, the owner of the company showed up and started berating me claiming I was just doing this to get out of working that day. He took the keys to the truck and as he was leaving, told me I was fired.
A couple hours later I found out that I had an intestinal blockage that was causing my heart problem. I contacted my former employer to explain the issue at hand and explain that I was not lying to get out of work. The former employer just hung up the phone. That was over ten years ago and the last time I have spoken to my dad/former employer. To some,  it is more about financial gain than it is the well being of the employee...
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 1:39pm
A-Fib.
The Mrs has it, or rather had it.
She had the cardio-version which sometimes works permanently, sometimes temporarily & sometimes not at all.
Sounds benign, but they stop your heart with a defibrillator, & then bring you back!
In her case it worked perfectly except for some electrical burns at the pad contact spots.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Frameman 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frameman 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 1:55pm
Gunpowder contains potassium. 😎
There are no Americans in Baghdad!!
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2021 at 6:11am
A_Square, I will keep you all up to date on everything. It did help me to prioritize a bit and I've already been hitting the range more doing what I enjoy.

Goosic, that's terrible and I'm sorry you went through that. Honestly, that situation is one reason I have never and will never work for family. Sad to say, I have family members that would be the same way.

Shamu, shocking me was mentioned and I was not really looking forward to that. Fortunately it didn't come to that point.

Frameman, I like the way you think! Thumbs Up
Frameman 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frameman 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2021 at 6:34am
You’re welcome.
There are no Americans in Baghdad!!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2021 at 11:09am
If the A-Fib keeps coming back then its a functional option.
They actually sedated her to"twilight" when they did it, so she barely remembers the procedure.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2021 at 11:39am
My competition shooting bud just had the shock procedure, it brought him out of A-Fib but only for one day.  And he shot in a match with me today and he probably should not have. 
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2021 at 12:32pm
Dang. Tell him to take it easy! I know this knocked the soup out of me for about a week.
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2021 at 1:02pm
The poor guy looked beat. And we walked back and fourth to the 200 yard targets to score and paste 8 times!  The A-Fib gives him a high heart rate and high blood pressure. 
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2021 at 2:43pm
Yeah, it jacks up the blood pressure bad. When I was hooked up to the machines the highest heart rate I saw was 162 with a blood pressure of 198/90. It takes a toll on the body.
Stumpkiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stumpkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 8:05pm
Don't take this wrong - but if you have questions about your health and why your potassium was low you should discus this with your General Practionier.  Not a bunch of Enfield enthusiasts.

We know rifles - not the body's intricacies.  At least I don't.

Would you ask your doctor about headspace or arsenal markings?
Charlie P.

Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 2:30am
Question
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 6:47am
I think it was just a conversation. Sometimes it feels good to talk to "friends" about health issues. Very often these friends have had, or know of people that have had similar experiences. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic