Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1943 GI Coleman stove

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1943 GI Coleman stove
    Posted: April 26 2021 at 11:45am
I picked up this GI stove 2 years ago at a brocante for 12 Euros. But it would not stay alight because the needle jet in the tank was blocked.
So I finally got it apart to clean it out. I also repainted the tank. Normally I would prefer to leave it original; but the previous owner had scrapped off the instruction sticker and half the paint. So it was a mess.

It is marked "US 1943 Coleman"

I'll be testing it in a couple of weeks time. But it does pressurise nicely and the needle jet is now clean as a whistle. I don't think the paint looks too out of place, but maybe a bit darker than original.
It has all the tools and spares kit.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2021 at 12:34pm
Very cool indeed Zed and great job on the restoration. 
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2021 at 1:35pm
I really like that! I would use one while hunting as part of my ATV kit.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2021 at 2:46pm
That is very neat!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2021 at 8:52pm
agreed , id use one as well - if i had it , i can see morning coffee on my cowboy shoot camping morning right there , very nice 
Marco1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2021 at 11:04pm
These are cool stoves.  Normally came with a cooking pot and lid that the whole stove slid into.
There were genuine GI ones and Coleman kept making a civilian version of them after the war as they were so popular.
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2021 at 4:45am
Very nice Zed.  Did you have to replace the leather seal in the pump?  
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2021 at 12:05pm
NICE! The old Coleman stuff is WAY better than the new!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2021 at 12:35pm
This came in a two part galvanized steel pot; which is now quite rusted on the outside. I suppose that in 1943 most of the aluminium would have been going to aircraft manufacture. No handles or attachments on the pots. So not great; I assume there would have been a handle that could clamp on the rim. Maybe one of you knows what it should have?

The leather seal is remarkably still in OK condition and working. I believe the parts are still available from Coleman. But for the moment, it's all original. Even the black soot is original; don't want to clean off the history. When I fire it up I'll get some photos.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2021 at 2:56pm
I have something similar by coleman (I used to use for hunting as well.) What fuel would that use? naptha?
Loose wimmen tightened here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2021 at 4:23pm
That is just too cool!  

The pump should have a small hole in it on the outside to oil the leather.  

That’s going to make a great show piece.  And still very functional. 
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2021 at 8:56pm
i wonder why coleman is not making them now - or are they ? - what a great little cooking device , glad to see you saved this one 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2021 at 8:59am
They went all high tech, multi-fuel & titanium.
Frankly they're rubbish now.
This one burned down to the ground even after the external fuel bottle was removed.
The Titanium/aluminum ally is self-sustaining once its lit, as the Royal Navy discovered to its cost in Las Malvinas.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2021 at 10:02am
My Dad has a little Primus stove he has had since the 1940’s.  Very nicely made.  Self pressure generating.  I have a similar Optimus stove from the early 1970’s.  
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2021 at 8:49am
Odd as it may seem this has been my favorite camping stove since I was a teenager!
Its gone through several incarnations, the current one being in a Swedish Army mess set, the Trangia alcohol burning stove!
Looks like nothing but once lit & given a minute or two to warm up it boils its alcohol fuel then ignites it, for a gas stove like performance you wouldn't expect from something so basic. You can also use the windshield as a "Hobo Stove" burning twigs leaves & even charcoal briquettes!

shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2021 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

i wonder why coleman is not making them now - or are they ? - what a great little cooking device , glad to see you saved this one 

They do, it uses the stubby green propane bottles, stove screws to the bottle looks a lot like Zed`s but propane.
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic