Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Canted sights on Ishapore 2A?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LP1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canted sights on Ishapore 2A?
    Posted: May 03 2021 at 1:11pm
Hi, I have two Ishapore 2A1 rifles and while I could zero both of them, the from sight had to be moved significantly to the right. Is this a standard problem or I just got “lucky”? Is there a better solution? Should I try to get the from sight tower rotated ? Not sure how to do that.
Thanks
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2021 at 1:57pm
The front sight base in pinned in one way only with a built in forward tilt.
Howdy from Phoenix Arizona by the way...
LP1911 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LP1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2021 at 3:35pm
thanks for the welcome. Not sure I followed your explanation about the tower. Does it have a pin and key inside the front sight tower like on the Enfield SMLE? Also you said forward tilt, but the front sight tower is canted to the left (I think). Also given that the actual sight had to be drifted well past center to the right, does that say something about the whole hand-guard and nose cap? Are they a bit off as well? I am just curious if this is just a common QC issue with Ishapores, or am I missing something.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2021 at 5:35pm
Basically the SMLE & the 2A was the caliber change.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2021 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by LP1911 LP1911 wrote:

thanks for the welcome. Not sure I followed your explanation about the tower. Does it have a pin and key inside the front sight tower like on the Enfield SMLE? Also you said forward tilt, but the front sight tower is canted to the left (I think). Also given that the actual sight had to be drifted well past center to the right, does that say something about the whole hand-guard and nose cap? Are they a bit off as well? I am just curious if this is just a common QC issue with Ishapores, or am I missing something.
Yes. It is pinned with a keyway.  If the sight base is canted either way, you might need to remove the nose cap and check to make sure the pin is still there as well as the key...
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2021 at 6:08pm
As an aforemention. You did not state the original condition of your rifle, so there is the distinct possibility that someone other than yourself has worked on it previously, which could be the reason for the front sight base to be askewed...
LP1911 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LP1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2021 at 6:44pm
Given the amount of grime around the front sight tower, I would say this hasn’t been touched since it left India. This is the case with both of the Ishapores I have.
LP1911 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LP1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2021 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

Yes. It is pinned with a keyway.  If the sight base is canted either way, you might need to remove the nose cap and check to make sure the pin is still there as well as the key...
Yes, key and pin are in place. I tried to see if I could knock the pin out, but no luck. If I were able to get the pin out would I be able to rotate the tower, or is there something they key goes into on the barrel?
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2021 at 5:37pm

Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

Yes, key and pin are in place. I tried to see if I could knock the pin out, but no luck. If I were able to get the pin out would I be able to rotate the tower, or is there something they key goes into on the barrel?
You are getting yourself stuck in a rut focusing on rotating the,"tower."
The,"sight base" is intended to go in one way only and that is the way it came from the factory. The front sight base  has a forward cant downwards from back to front. If you find yourself successful in rotating the sight base, you will find yourself having to drift the sight well past center to the left and your "sight picture" will not be correct as well When you say well past center, what are you describing in thousands of an inch please.
 It is not uncommon to drift a sight well past center left or right to get an Enfield hitting spot on and if you haven't noticed yet, alot of those Ishy's shoot high and to the left out to 100 yards more often than not even after the front sight correction was made. 
The supplied photo is courtesy of JoeSalter.com and shows the downward cant i reference earlier. 
LP1911 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LP1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2021 at 6:42pm
this is after zeroing on a 25 yard range, will do it again at 50 yards. I guess it’s acceptable, but seems odd

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2021 at 8:56pm
Definitely check it at 50 yards, 75 yards would be better, with a 100 yard sight in being the most optimal. 
What ammunition are you using? I ask this because you will get irrational hits using 144, 147, and 150grn bullets. Whereas the 168 and 175grn bullets tend to have a more flatter and precise trajectory.  Sighting in at 25 yards will not get you on target at 100 yards due to the initial bullet jump from the muzzle which can be as much as two inches high at 25 yards. Those Ishy barrels have a right hand twist and have been known to print high and to the left at 25 yards and low and to the right at 50 yards. Get a sandbag or some such support for both the front and rear and aim at the six o clock of the bullseye ring at 100 yards and fire three shots.  Make the necessary sight corrections and fire three more. Do this until the shots are hitting just over the front sight blade while in line with the rear V notch...
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2021 at 9:10pm
noy uncommon to see the front sight off to one side , the others are much more qualified to discuss the reasons and possible solutions so i defer to them in this realm , but you see this all the time in service rifles , 

ishapore was making changes to go from the 303 to the 308 so lots of chit might not work exactly as designed 
LP1911 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LP1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2021 at 5:39am
thx, I only have access to ammunition that I can buy these days, which is standard M80 ball ammo (149 grain). I will go to an outdoor range for final test. So in an indoor range 50 yards is max. I am using the 200 meter notch in the rear sight (know what the notch below 200 is?), which from ballistics charts should cross zero at 18 yards, be a little high at 25 yards (0.35”), at 50 yards higher at 1.4” high, and at 100 yards it should be 2.6” high until zero again at 200 meters. Is this not what should be expected?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic