Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Annealing Brass

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trappers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Annealing Brass
    Posted: May 24 2021 at 12:05pm
Just wanted to share a picture of my annealing set up. Don't mind the background noise Tongue

I whipped this up after watching a YouTube video. I'm not smart enough to think of something this simple Wink

I initially set this up to anneal 223. It's half in black pipe, with a wooden dowel inside. The case sticks out of the black pipe just enough to expose the upper half or so of the case. I can take some measurements if need be, but It's just a matter of getting the height right with your torch setup. You can adjust the height of the flame by changing the angle of the torches. I find the best lighting is when the doors to the garage are closed, and it's kind of dark. 

I just heat the necks until they glow, and I watch the purple creeping down the case shoulder, just onto the body, then spin it out of the flame, and into the bowl. Takes me about 15-20 minutes, or one cup of coffee start to finish to do 50. 
Just don't forget the case in the flame when you go for that coffee

Grizzly ‘76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grizzly  ‘76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2021 at 8:18am
Trappers , 
That is a neat set up . I use a single propane torch on my bench . I choose a deep well socket that fits the rifle case loosely, that leaves the neck exposed .  I then place this on an adapter chucked into a cordless drill. When the case has reach desired annealing color , I just dump into an aluminum pan . On 5.56 or .300 blk is about 7.5 to 8 seconds spinning on low gear #1 on my drill .  The deep well socket protects the body and head from being annealed . I have used it on .300 Blackout, 5.56x45 . I plan on using it for .303 as soon as I get brass for it . I read about this technique on AR15.com . It works very well , I had all the tools on hand , and it’s simple . Thanks for sharing your technique. Annealing works I have some 5.56 that is going on 8 x’s loaded . 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2021 at 9:13am
That's the same as my setup! I use an electric screwdriver though as the speed is always constant.
I do NOT go to red hot. its excessive to my mind. I use "Tempilstik" heat sensitive crayons & go for 600 ℉ at the case mouth but never beyond 232 ℉ at the shoulder.
The ss bowl is filled with water when I'm running the unit. I know you don't need to quench brass, but with a case every 5 or so seconds dropping in there I don't want a lot of heat build up randomly on the casss already there.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2021 at 11:27am
I also use a blow torch and spin the cases with a hand drill then just flick them straight into a bucket of water. With the hand drill you've more control of the speed. They don't need to spin too fast.

One note on your first photo; you don't need to anneal that far down the case. Usually just below the shoulder is enough.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2021 at 11:28am
i like it
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2021 at 2:32pm
That's why I use the deep well socket & have the fender washers & washers as a heat sink on the shaft. The case on the right is not annealed for comparison.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2021 at 7:16pm
this is very interesting - im reading but not contributing as i only load straight wall cases these days 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2021 at 10:14pm
Shamu, what make are the 4 case's with the knurled ring around the lower end?
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2021 at 10:12am
They're head-stamped "LC (Lake City) 90 MATCH".
The knurl was done to easily I.D. Match ammo.
I was given a bunch of them by an N.M. shooter who didn't reload.
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2021 at 4:53pm
I don’t think I’ve ever annealed .303 brass.  I’ve rarely had a .303 neck crack.  Case life is almost always due to case head cracking after about 50 reloads.  YMMV.  

I’ve read that accuracy improvements can be obtained by annealing (brings consistent neck tension) but I’m just not a good enough shooter to see any advantage with the military rifles I shooter in matches. 

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2021 at 8:06am
I can actually FEEL the difference when resizing!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic