Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Woodwork query on using a cheek piece

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moondog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Woodwork query on using a cheek piece
    Posted: June 04 2021 at 7:54pm
I have finally managed to get myself a long stock for my #4 Longbranch
Secondhand but in reasonable condition
I've never been really comfortable with using a scope with this rifle even tho it sits close and I'm wondering if it's worth buying a cheek piece and fiddling around.
Also has anybody done any rasping and sanding of these butts to improve fit? As it comes from the factory I find that the web and ball of my thumb is not totally comfortable and I have considered a little sanding to make a shallow groove on the RH side.

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Moondog55 Moondog55 wrote:

I have finally managed to get myself a long stock for my #4 Longbranch
Secondhand but in reasonable condition
I've never been really comfortable with using a scope with this rifle even tho it sits close and I'm wondering if it's worth buying a cheek piece and fiddling around.
Also has anybody done any rasping and sanding of these butts to improve fit? As it comes from the factory I find that the web and ball of my thumb is not totally comfortable and I have considered a little sanding to make a shallow groove on the RH side.

There is a gentleman in the UK that sells reproduction sniper cheek risers. Put one on my Long Branch...
Moondog55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moondog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 8:23pm
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by Moondog55 Moondog55 wrote:

Looking at a UK sight now
Do they help tho?
Nice rifle
They help me immensely. They bring my eye level to the scope on my Savage and level to the Diopter in my Long Branch. 
Stackbar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stackbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 11:45pm
I also have a cheek piece from ds-solutions on my no4 and it improved the sight picture, I can recommend ds-solutions iv had great service from them
Moondog55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moondog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2021 at 12:14am
Has anybody bothered to make one of their own from a bit of wood?
Getting an import permit for a chunk of walnut is a damned hassle.
I have a badly damaged walnut stock here from a #4 I am happy to sacrifice and I think I can find the blueprint. Just I may also stuff it up and I know it can take hours and hours if you're note good with hand tools and I'm not particularly good with chisels and gouges
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2021 at 11:15am
Yes I made my own from a piece of white oak. It was like sanding cast iron, it was so hard, but finished up really well.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2021 at 1:21pm
I can recommend DS Solutions. I have used them several times and always had excellent service. 
They also have a small book department with some very interesting military books and decent prices.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2021 at 4:20pm
I also did purchase one from the English bloke. Top drawer. Numrich has (had) them and I bought one from them also. Decent, but way, way more sanding to conform with the stock. And even then, rocked a bit. In my humble opinion, they are a must if you want to shoot a Lee Enfield equipped with a (T) telescopic sight and not get "ringed"!!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 7:06pm
i installed a couple over the years , they are not hard to fit but i always altered the riser - not the stock - to preserve the original in its true form , they did help with eye alignment , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 8:27am
Agreed I wrap sandpaper round the stock rough side out & work the cheek-piece down onto it with increasingly fine grades. The piece of white oak I got was rectangular so there was a lot of sanding involved. I'm kinda ashamed to admit I used  a sanding drum on a power drill for the initial rough shaping!
Ouch
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 8:43am
Shamu, if it worked for you then no foul. I like that idea actually.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 6:23pm
Actually, the one I purchased from the UK had pretty good instructions and two different length brass screws. Sanding was as Shamu mentioned. I actually used a couple of layers of masking tape rapped around the stock, then taped sand paper to that. The cheekpiece is where the material was removed.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 8:44am
Yep thats how I did it too.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 10:55am
That's a good method of sanding to fit the cheek piece.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Moondog55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moondog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 5:15am
Taken note of that method. Smart.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic