Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Big Birds

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Big Birds
    Posted: June 08 2021 at 8:14am
..............Wink.............

The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 10:07am
The best bomber of WWII. 
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 2:29pm
MJ11 there is a Lancaster bomber in the Australian war memorial , look him up his name is G for George . Fantastic history and story . Not to menti9n the aircraft hall there is in believable
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 2:52pm
I did not know that, thank you.
In the U.K. G (George) was Guy Gibson's Lanc. during "Operation Chastise" The Dam Busters raid.
But it was a tradition to give the CO's aircraft his initial as its individual identifying letter.
Is there any plan to get it flying again?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 3:14pm
I'm so fortunate..we have a Lanc flies around here - usually right over me house. Hear her comin a long way off. VRA (thay call her VERA). She flew back to Blighty a few years ago to fly w/the RAF Lanc. Doc was made bout it.
NOTHING sounds like a Merlin..let alone 4 of 'em. Our Lanc has Packard Merlins.
Loose wimmen tightened here
smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 6:42pm
just tot he right of George is a Japanese midget sub that wa sunk in Sydney harbour .and a bit further on is one of the red barons boots after he was shot down he was given a full military funeral by the Aussies who shot him down
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 7:13pm
we had air shows here once , would get to see some in flight and on the ground , i wish they would do something like that again , a number of years ago i went to st paul to a "hanger dance" they fired up a few to add to the ambiance , it was fun too 
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 2:11am
Hodie, you like the sound of 4 Merlins. We often get to see, and hear 6 of them when the 'Battle of Britain'  flight passes. 1 Lancaster, 1 Spitfire and a Hurricane.
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 10:34am
A few years back (20 or so) I was out in the carport one summer day fixin to BBQ. I could hear - way off- the sound of a Merlin..but it was reverberating. Took a while to get closer..& sound better. It was VERA with a Spit & a Hurricane flying in a vic..low & slow coming back from the bomber fly-in Stateside. The sound was bouncing twixt the houses & that had me confused for a bit. Sadly, we lost our Hurricane to a hangar fire shortly after.

The good news is that the R.A.F. will have a 2nd Lanc airborne shortly!
Loose wimmen tightened here
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 11:04am
Somebody mention Vera?
Here she is at the NASM for the RAF's 100th anniversary.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2021 at 11:27am
The Rolls-Royce "Merlin" is a great engine! 27 litre V12. Thankfully it was available for the Battle of Britain. 
It was followed by the Rolls-Royce "Griffon" which was 36 litres. this was in the very last of the Spitfires; such as the Mark 19 photo reconisence.
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 9:24am
For twelve years I hosted the VIP flight line tent at a local show.

Fourth year I had a lesson about locking the beer coolers before the show when the Marines and aircrew showed up. They secured the air craft and moved into my tent and cleaned out two stand up cooler of beer.

If the members here would like I will dig out a few thumb drives and share some fun times.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 10:18am
would love to see some 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 10:59am
MJ, those Hawker Harrier's in your photo are great planes. They did a good job in the Falklands conflict.
Are those with the USAF?
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by Zed Zed wrote:

MJ, those Hawker Harrier's in your photo are great planes. They did a good job in the Falklands conflict.
Are those with the USAF?

USMC Each bird had a full ground crew. I got them golf starts at Pebble Beach and the Bayonet course at Ft Ord and new Buick cats from the GMC store I worked for.
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2021 at 10:37am
2005 Air show, things were slowing down funding from Government dried up
These guys were fun to work with. I provided gas for the haulers and they did a display and parade.

View from inside the tent early first morning.

Our friend Eddie who was about the bast main player for 50 years. We traveled around the country interviewing acts to higher but he was the best. A few years ago Edie road his Super Steerman into the ground inverted from 40 feet off the deck cutting a ribbon. RIP old friend.

Eddie's Yak was a kick ass pretty. don't know what happened to it after he passed but his whole family were team members in his act.

Yours truly delving beer to the outlying refreshment stands on day two.

Five days non stop work. Oh the food was so good.

Delivering ice and being chased by a B17. We had to fly a flag when moving stuff and he just followed me like I was guide truck. LOL

There is no order to the thumb drives I will just post them as I find them. Just yell stop when you have had to much.

Feed the the plane owners a complete separate job from the fairway and food trucks for the masses.

Shuttling the handicapped from Plane to Plane.

2005 this 16 year old girl driver paid for collage and one of those 10 cylinder Dodge Vipers doing this.

Six in the morning till 10 PM at night no rest for the wicked.

More ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic