Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Info for New Enfield Owners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need Help Identifying

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnfieldP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Help Identifying
    Posted: June 23 2021 at 10:08am
Hi!  I'm new here.  I've inherited my great grandfather's Lee Enfield and I need help Identifying it.

It seems as if a few of its parts are missing, but I've taken pictures of every identifying mark that I was able to find.  I have attached them below.

Any and all info is appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2021 at 4:01pm
Others more knowledgeable will chime in shortly.
Point of interest is that it is a DP'd rifle. Drill Purpose Only!!!
Do not fire the rifle.
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2021 at 5:03pm
It’s not a Lee Enfield.  A Pattern 1914 Enfield which is a Mauser type action vs a Lee Action.  
EnfieldP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnfieldP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2021 at 5:26pm
Ohhhh wow, gotcha!  I'm glad I asked.  Thanks for the info!  πŸ˜…
jhonelver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhonelver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2021 at 1:08am
This is an enfield Pattern of 1914. And Dp rifle so drill purpose.

Also known as rifle no.3
It seems the volley sight has been removed which could have been done by the military. They stopped volley sight.
Eventually naming that the No.3 Mk.2

This rifle misses the top wood handguard.
Also the bands and even the frontsight.
This rifle is not fit for shooting.

This one is made by ERA ( eddystone/remington arms).
It seems like an No.3 Mk.I* but not 100% sure. Need some more detail photos.

They made changes to the bolt lug in 1916. They enlarged them and they changes the name to No.3 Mk.I*
The No.3 Mk.2 is a later ww2 modification where they were fitted with a new stock without volleysight. (More like the us model of 1917)

What else would you like to know?

SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2021 at 7:39am
The Missing Volley sight and Unit marking disk means that it had gone through the Weadon refurb  (1939) where the bolt  would have been modified if it needed it
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
EnfieldP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnfieldP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2021 at 9:03am
I can't even think of anything to ask!  Y'all have provided so much info already!  Hahahah.  I had no intention of ever shooting it;  it was always kept as an heirloom.

Thank you all SO MUCH!  I couldn't find anyone who knew exactly what it was so I'm fortunate that I found this forum.  If I can think of any other questions I will definitely ask you guys.  😁
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2021 at 10:16am
If that is the way you recieved it, leave it as is...
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2021 at 7:28pm
thats a classy old eddystone pattern 14 , you could go to a great deal of expense to put it into shooting condition but you would devalue the collectability of it immensely , even tho its a "drill purpose only" at this point and not shootable its worth more as it is than if you ""fix"" it , there are collectors looking for these as they stand and that one seems to stand tall , 

i can see the front volley is gone but not if the rear is , if it too is gone thats been thru the weedon refurb , not a bad thing just one more step in its long life , 
it looks to be an original rifle from  what i can see 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic