Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Bayonets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fake or Real??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2021 at 2:27pm
They seem consistent, although your de-hooked is a little less pronounced, but you can see the tapers.  The apprentice armourer de-hooking mine must have been a little heavy handed on the grinder!
"Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges" - Tacitus
The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2021 at 12:10pm
Great photos, thanks for posting. Thumbs Up
It'll certainly help us all when looking at bayonets.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2021 at 10:56pm
good photos always help in giving accurate and reasonable responses to questions asked here 
MARTINRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2022 at 6:46am

...here is my example - among the last of the hooked-quillion examples...made at SAF Lithgow, they started production in 1913 with about 1k rifles/bayonets in that year, about 10k in 1914 and about 15k in 1915...as the hook to the quillion ceased being applied sometime between August/October of that year, there were only somewhere between 11k and 20k bayonets with the hook ever made at Lithgow...the blade on my example has a bright finish all the way from the quillion to the (very) sharp point...does anybody know if there was a variation in the amount of blueing applied to the bayonet blades...(8{
smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2022 at 4:06pm
If I could find a 1913 for my 1913 rifle at a reasonable price it would complet my 1913-1918 collection of Lithgows 
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2022 at 5:50pm
AussieShooter. You pose a couple of concerns about your Lithgow '07', which... are quite simple to explain.

Firstly... The absence of the 'Hooked' Quillon. In GB, production of the curved quillion ended in November of 1913, with the War department.... through the official 'List Of Changes'.... announcing the end of production, and the removal of the curved quillon from all future production. The curved quillon was also to be removed, as and when a bayonet were to be presented for either repair or inspection. History has shown that quite a substantial amount of curved quillon '07's' ( for one reason or another ) have survived in their original form. Australia was slightly behind in curved quillon '07' matters, including stopping production, and the removal. So, what you have is a perfectly authentic Lithgow 'Quillon' removed example.

Secondly...The scabbard. With the '07' bayonet, there are three frog studs which will be encountered : 1) The original 'Tear Drop'; 2) The 'Roundal'... announced to replace the 'Tear Drop' in mid 1916; 3) the Australian 'Roundal', which is noticeably smaller than it's British counterpart. It's quite feasible that the original scabbard to your '07' was replaced due to it being unserviceable for a number of reasons. Also, stampings military area's differ between WW1 and WW2. So, each difference you have, is one instance in the bayonets lifeline. To add to that, when a bayonet is submitted for inspection / repair / modification.... the bayonet and scabbard are inspected separately. So, it's quite logical to assume the two may never be together again.... although there are cases of staying as one unit. 
This is MY rifle, there are many like, but this one... is MINE!
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2022 at 5:54pm
he!!o everyone. Nice to be back after such a long absence. Beer

AussieShooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2022 at 7:51pm
Hi @Sarge great to have you back.  I appreciate the explanation and am pleased it is an interesting example. There is a story to it!

@martinrf I love the photos of Lithgow Hookie.  That is nice to have in your collection. Congratulations!  We are all a little jealous 😀
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2022 at 10:39pm
Good to see you back here Sarge. 
Glad you are still with us!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2022 at 4:24am
Thanks 'Zed' 'AussieShooter'. Thumbs Up

If I can work out how to post pics on here again, I'll share my '07' Vickers collection----> '9' examples to-date.

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2022 at 7:34am
well that answers one of my questions - lithgow was still producing hookies in 1915 
smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2022 at 3:16pm
Lithgow also still produce rifles with volley sights until 1916/17,deleting the volley sight but leaving the mag cutoff in play then in 1918 no mag cutoff and then back in 1940 a mag cut off back .i still need a 1913 lithgowhooky any one got one for sale lol
MARTINRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2022 at 2:51pm
...the bayonet combination came out of a WW1 British collector friend living up in Bradford, West Yorkshire, after working on him for something over 28 years to release all of his AIF items to me so the deal, a few years ago, had a very long gestation period, indeed...all of the items came to him from various fairs in the Leeds area so I assume this item saw service either in France/Belgium - or even the Dardenelles - but of course I cannot be 100% certain of that...all I know is that very few dealers/collectors, if any, over here get AIF items sent over from Australia - the AIF bits that I come by all seem to originate from sources the UK...(8{
AussieShooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2022 at 6:30pm
That hookie looks in fantastic condition.  What is the wooden item strapped to the scabbard?  I haven't seen this before.  Congratulations on your collection - I look forward to seeing some more of it over time.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2022 at 10:40pm
mine is a 1910 mole , 

Marco1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2022 at 12:02am
The wooden handle attached to the bayonet has the official nomenclature of "Implement, Entrenching, Patt. '37, Helve Mk I". Originally these were issued pre-WW1 through WW1 for the Pattern 1908 pattern sirhind tool. However, in 1923 these were discontinued.
In 1939, the British decided on the need for an entrenching tool again and the square blade, Linneman style spade was adopted. After a couple of years, the British decided that there was a problem with their "new" style entrenching tools.
In 1941, the spade model was discontinued and the British reintroduced the old, Pattern 1908 Entrenching Tool, but gave it a new nomenclature, the "Implement, Entrenching, Patt. '37". It was called the Pattern 1937, but was actually adopted in 1941. The first of these were issued with a plain style handle, just like the original Pattern 1908 tools. These early wood handles were called the "Helve, Mk I". Not often found complete for some reason, but a cool item.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic