Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No4Mk1* handgun?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No4Mk1* handgun?
    Posted: August 04 2021 at 8:07pm
[Preface: I made the necessary calls and emails and the BATF  just asked if it could be readily turned back into a rifle. I said no and they said have fun with your project.] 

I have been mulling it over in my head for quite some time now and I have decided that, I will be creating a bolt action handgun similar to, but not as exotic as the Remington XP-100. I have a No4 LB reciever that I removed the charging bridge and the rear sight axis pin holes. It will have a Parker Hale scope mount with a 2-7×32 pistol scope attached.  Do not cringe yet, it gets worse. The barrel is going to be shortened to 14", (it's one of my spares that was cut to 22" to begin with.) The pistol grip is made by Hogue. Not designed for the Enfield but has the same angled profile. Some minor tweaks to get it to fit flush and that should do it. The forestock is one of those ATI plastic pieces. I will post a couple of pics tomorrow when I get the scope mount attached. 
FNQ303 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FNQ303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2021 at 9:55pm
Gday goosic
This sounds.different can't wait to see the photos. Thumbs UpBeer
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2021 at 4:02am
That sounds like an interesting project! Really "outside the box" stuff! Love it!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2021 at 9:42am
Originally posted by Honkytonk Honkytonk wrote:

That sounds like an interesting project! Really "outside the box" stuff! Love it!
Everything is as it will be. Just waiting on the pistol grip to arrive. Once done, I am going to see how accurate it is out to 75-100 yards. Should make for a nice hunting rig...
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2021 at 9:51am
I had a friend who did something similar, but in 45-70! Being a rifle it had a folding stock from some kind of 12-gauge on it.
Years later he admitted he'd never fired it because the thought of 45-70 recoil in a pistol grip scared the bejazus out of him!
You could always have some fun with reduced loads for .32 Cal pistol bullets as well.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2021 at 10:31am
I have 500 rounds of .312" 174grn BTHP ready to go.
Just keep two hands on the damn thing at all times and I should walk away without any stitches being needed. Worst case scenario. I still have that 45 ACP conversion barrel?
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2021 at 12:08pm
If you have a .45 barrel, how about a De-lisle carbine style silenced project?Wink

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2021 at 1:03pm
Better double up on the ear protection too. 
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2021 at 4:31pm
As with all my test fires, I have my wife take the first shot. 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2021 at 8:55pm
I never thought of it that way,
Thanks!Hug
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2021 at 11:28pm
One thought I've just had! 
Maybe the scope will be a bit difficult to use.
A red dot sight my be more practical.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2021 at 8:21am
2~7 isn't too terribly strong. I think he'll be ok particularly at the 2X setting.
baltimoreed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baltimoreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2021 at 9:00am
Neat build. I’m curious about how the grip will look and work. Never owned one but shot a couple Thompson Center Contenders many years ago. One was a 223 and the other a 357 I think. 
‘Give’em he!!, Pike’
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2021 at 9:08am
Originally posted by baltimoreed baltimoreed wrote:

Neat build. I’m curious about how the grip will look and work. Never owned one but shot a couple Thompson Center Contenders many years ago. One was a 223 and the other a 357 I think. 
 I misquoted myself. It is not made by Hogue. It is made by ATI and it fits various Remington and Mossberg models:
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2021 at 8:31pm
my only question here - and i do not know for sure - is are these a legally built gun ? do you need to get it approved ? i understand if the barrel is at least 16" [i think] your good but im not sure there are maybe other restrictions ? 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2021 at 8:43pm
The only question the person at the BATF office asked me was,"Can you readily convert it back to a rifle?" Readily meaning within minutes. When I said no, he said,"Have fun with that project."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic