Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pakastani Enfield?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pakastani Enfield?
    Posted: February 21 2006 at 2:22pm

I recently acquired this enfield and know very little about them, just dismantled it and am in the process of cleaning it up.  I found these markings on the receiver and have no clue.  They don't seem to resemble any of the other markings I've seen.  Anyone have any idea?

-Adam

jona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2006 at 10:32pm
Pakistan acquired the machinery to make No. 4 Mk 2 from Britain after independance.  No one knows how many they made, but the rifles do not turn up very often.  Not much is known about them either.  A very good find.
jona
303carbine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 1:32am
Looks like Pakistani alright and 1957 too, definitely a good find for sure. The green paint makes me believe that it was intended for "tropical' use. There is more Enfield enthusiasts here that may be able to help further too. The No4Mk2 means that the trigger is hung from the receiver instead of the triggerguard like the No4mk1 rifles. Its supposed to increase accuracy but all the Enfields I have had it never really made a noticable difference to me.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 3:32am

Great catch Adam !

There's not much written about the POF rifle

I believe , I think , I'm fairly kinda certain ,  it was BSA-Shirley equipment that first went to POF ( Pakistan Ordnance Factory )  sometime in the 1950's.

BSA - Shirley only made Mk1's , ROF Fazakerly made the Mk2's ,...but  POF could have found some of that equipment as well .

POF had also a very active FTR program ,  repairing Mk1 series andMk2 rifles . Alot of these rifles got scrubbed of most of their original stamps .

But you could look for some or any stamps that may be , numbers or " F " " (F) ""BNP" ect  stamps ( anywhere ...barrel , barrel knox , sights , trigger assembly ect...) and maybe ( not always ) an " FR"or "FTR" stamp . Is there any stamps on the stocks ?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic