Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No1 Mk3 Sniper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2021 at 6:30am
I was giving my Lithgow some TLC yesterday. After shouldering it, I envisioned the rifle having a "side mounted" scope. I gotta tell you, as a southpaw, it feels more normal than I would imagine a right handed person for aiming. I always thought the same as with a Bren gun... 
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2021 at 1:09pm
I'm curious. I know several of the members own No4 sniper "tribute" or "faux" sniper rifle. Many have been accurized and have period correct scopes/rings. What would these rifles be valued at? Here in Canada, you'd pay $500-750 for a decent rifle, $750 for repo scope and rings, then there is the cheekpiece and the labour involved. Thoughts? Thanks!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2021 at 1:47pm
Oddly less than a Box Stock No4.
Even if 100% reversible.
Collector have their own set of vales. 101% authentic is the preference right down to dents, dings, scrapes, & original rust.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2021 at 2:18pm
All that time and effort converting my No4Mk1* to a "T" rifle and then adding that 7.62x51mm NATO barrel to convert it to a Faux L8A5T does not change the fact that, it will always be a fake and not worth that of an original T or L8 series rifle.
To me, it is priceless.  To the collector of authentic weaponry, it's worthless. 
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2021 at 2:46pm
While I appreciate collectors, who in a way keep the story on Lee Enfields alive, I am not one of them. I would take a faux sniper rifle to the range and be proud of it. I would definitely not try to pass it off as original! I asked the question as I saw an add a few weeks ago on a No4 sniper "tribute". Owner stated it as such, so no shenanigans there. Asking price? $4000... to say I was surprised is an understatement!
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2021 at 3:20pm
I’m somewhat the same, I don’t have a single LE, except perhaps the CNo. 7, that is original and of collector value.  Some day, I will bring back my Dad’s No. 4(T), which is mostly original except for the 1950’s Long Branch six groove barrel.  The original barrel was shot out when he got it.

All five of my No. 4’s have had barrel replacements, FTR’s, and/or upgrades to the Mk 2 config.  Two are DCRA 7.62 conversions.  Nothing of interest to a real collector, but they are all excellent shooters and I would not have it any other way.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2021 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by Honkytonk Honkytonk wrote:

While I appreciate collectors, who in a way keep the story on Lee Enfields alive, I am not one of them. I would take a faux sniper rifle to the range and be proud of it. I would definitely not try to pass it off as original! I asked the question as I saw an add a few weeks ago on a No4 sniper "tribute". Owner stated it as such, so no shenanigans there. Asking price? $4000... to say I was surprised is an understatement!
...and that right there is the problem.  The asking price. That person more likely than not, added up everything invested into that rifle including the labor and wants it all back plus some. Regardless of the amount of time and money invested into the rifle to produce a, "Tribute," it will always be what it was to begin with cost wise when originally purchased. My Faux/Tribute L8A5T started life with me as a barreled action. Original total investment was $75.00. After purchasing everything needed to get it where it is at now, I could have instead, purchased an original No4Mk1 T minus the transit chest and accouterments. As stated earlier, it is priceless to me simply because I created it. What is it actually worth? Maybe $500.00? I never will sell it. It goes to my teenage daughter when I kick off this mortal coil...
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 10:36am
Same here, I deliberately made my No4 Mk2 "Grail" uniquely identifiable instead of HC/PC, It cant be misrepresented by anyone. Not even accidentally.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 5:44pm
I like reproductions or replicas, especially when they’re done well. I don’t like when people try to replicate numbers and markings which is happening a lot. 

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 7:13am
I just received a picture of the nearly complete rifle. I must say I'm impressed! Where he got the scope, rings, mounts I have no idea. I'm hoping to be able to show you all the pic shortly, but must rely on the kindness of people more computer savvy than myself!
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 8:00am
HT, is it a repro scope?  Or a current commercial scope?  I imagine that original scope and mounts would be rare and very expensive. 

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 8:48am
Do you need it posted?
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 9:05am
Yes please and thanks! I believe it had been freshly d&t'ed to allow for the mock-up in the picture, so there are filings around the rear mount. He is kind of hard to understand, as he speaks a different language (he's originally from EnglandLOL) but I believe he said they are modern scopes produced by the company that originally made them. Please do not take that for gospel as I could be very wrong. From his asking price, I would not think they are original. Please feel free to comment once Shamu posts the pics. Once again, thank you, Shamu!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 12:08pm
OK Pics.
(hoping the forum will take the full sized one, here goes):
Drats I thought I'd rotated that. OK, fixed!

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 2:17pm
That's cool!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 3:48pm
The big trick with offset (sideways, not vertically) scopes is to sight them PARALLEL TO, not concentric with a POA/POI zero.

I learned this with the Trilux SUIT!

If it offset x" to the "Y" sight it there too.

If you don't the path of flight  (which is curved, vertically, but not horizontally) & The LOS which isn't will only be "correct" at one specific distance. (Think collimating aircraft wing guns to a specific range).
Instead shoot "off" always by the initial separation.
That way if its 1" left at the muzzle it will still be 1" left at 1,000 yds!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic