Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No1 Mk3 Sniper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 4:25pm
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 5:46pm
Very cool HT!  I think you did well on this.  I’m looking forward to a range report. 

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 4:15am
Terry Lee. Your collection is stunning!
What year is the lowest rifle, and what scope please?
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 5:33am
I did some research on repo vintage scopes. I wonder if it isn't a Hi-Lux scope that he is using on the No1? I'm calling him today to get more info and hopefully more pics. Our 40th anniversary is on the 26th and I can't think of a better present! His shop is about a 3.5 hr drive so we could stay overnight and go out for a nice supper! 
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 7:07am
Zed, The rifle is a 1915 Lithgow converted to sniper configuration with a heavy barrel by the Australians in 1944. It is the high mount version. The scopes used were the Australian copies of the
M 1918. These rifles were introduced due to the Australian shortage of P 14 sniper rifles, but were arguably held to be inferior. They remained in service for many years following the war. I pass no judgement on their effectiveness since my rifle has a rather worn barrel. 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 10:38am
Thanks for the info Terry, that's an interesting piece for sure.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 11:49am
terrylee
That is an outstanding group.
Thanks you for sharing. May I keep a reference copy ?

Pete Bloom's 1916 at Bisley.

The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 12:35pm
So this is some more info on the No1 MkIII faux sniper rifle the gentleman is currently building. It is a numbers matching Lithgow (I'm not sure which year) with all new furniture. It has been inspected and brought up to spec. The scope is a repo Malcolm Vintage 3x Short Telescopic Site made by Hi-Lux. It will be complete late next week and I will receiver more pictures at that time.
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 2:25pm
MJ, Certainly, use it as you wish.
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2021 at 2:51am
The next generation.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2021 at 9:42am
My "Leatherwood ART 600, 3~9 X 40 Camputer" is a Hi Lux, they make nice scopes don't be put off by the early reviews for them.
The original factory had some QC Issues but they got replaced years ago.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2021 at 12:46pm
I did my due diligence in regards to checking into Hi-lux and agree, early on, their QC was questionable but since are producing a good product... exceptional product judging by reviews on their Vintage Series that I believe are acceptable to many sanctioned US and A military sniper shoots. So I'm confronted with the opportunity of buying a 191? numbers matching Lithow (with new furniture) and a repo telescopic site system for something slightly south of $2700 CDN. I ponder, while watching Gallipolli...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic