Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lithgow target rifle update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lithgow target rifle update
    Posted: September 04 2021 at 7:17am
Guys here is the parts all assembled and stock cleaned up , ready to use the magic oil mix to bring the stock back to life this rifle was porterised and now it’s going to become a tribute target rifle . Do I use the central sight or the bsa 9f . 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2021 at 10:37am
Check the amount of windage on the 9F, I was originally told I'd need the 9G because of its longer windage arm with the no1 MkIII as the wrist plus adapter was wider than the Martinis the earlier units were designed for.
I've never seen the Central sight "in the wild", so have nothing to offer there, but maybe compare the two?

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2021 at 11:31am
The 9G base doesn't have the support at the rear trigger guard screw. How many screws attach it?  I think the support that connects to the trigger is probably better. I've no experience with the Central sight, but have heard good things about them.  I've used a 9G on my NO1MKIII*. It's good; but ensure that the main hinge screw doesn't slacken off with the recoil. 
I had this happen during a competition. But the screw was not original, so possibly the cause. 
There are several versions of the Enfield sight base.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Moondog55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moondog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2021 at 3:26pm
That looks like my Central sight but mine has a very different base plate. Have shot full bore in a long time but the sight is still in my kit.
Central sights are very well made and are worth a considerable amount of money here in Oz
pisco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2021 at 5:22pm
the central sight has click adjustment the bsa can be wound without knowing but still a good sight I learnt a lesson yesterday with my bsa been out when I haven’t touched it
FNQ303 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FNQ303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2021 at 6:11pm
gday all
I really like the number 4 central sight clicks are crisp easy to count and when removing for storage the ridges on the plate means as long as I use the right screw hole the sight is straight back on targetBeer

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2021 at 11:27am
Originally posted by pisco pisco wrote:

the central sight has click adjustment the bsa can be wound without knowing but still a good sight I learnt a lesson yesterday with my bsa been out when I haven’t touched it

If you're saying your BSA No9W doesn't have click stops then its defective!
There are clicks on both elevation & windage.
Maybe the spring & ball is stuck with dried crud or something?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
AussieShooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2021 at 8:13pm
Hi Smerdon - great looking project and I can't wait to see it complete.   Was the wood this dry from age, or did you sweat it out a la Shamu's rag and bag technique?
"Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges" - Tacitus
The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates
smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 5:07pm
Aussie it wasn’t dry but I used citristrip on it and washed/hosed it off to get any spots out of the stock it was air dried , I have since applied 5 coats of 50/50BLo and turps, I did this with my 1913 and 1915 light horse rifles and the stocks have Come out fabulous . No staining you got to be patient with the process I do inside the stock as well to get a good coverage. put on an liberal amount in a warm room to help with absorption let sit then wipe off excess
smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 5:10pm
ps the wood looks light here as the wood table underneath is Jarrah which will end up being a roll of honor for my family got to figure out how I fit an upturned Lithgow rifle slouch hat and fit 45 names on there from Boer war to Vietnam on there . Another project !
AussieShooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 6:30pm
That table is going to be amazing.  45 veterans - that's quite amazing.  Congrats.
"Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges" - Tacitus
The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates
smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2021 at 12:57pm
hey guys here is some updated pics of the target rifle test fitting everything , I have one issue the lower dumbbell screw hole has been cross threaded. There was no safety on it when I got it , I will need to rethread does anyone have an idea on thread size and pitch .still oiling the stock each week and will fully assemble in the next couple of weeks . 
pisco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2021 at 2:40pm
the closest size would be 4 x .7 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2021 at 11:29pm
I had a similar issue on my AGParker rear sight. I used a BA thread that is next size up.

BA thread was used on the No4 rifle and still used today so you can find the taps and doe's. I bought a set on the internet.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic