Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

N° 8 Mk I fitted with 8/53 sight attachment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deejay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: N° 8 Mk I fitted with 8/53 sight attachment
    Posted: September 06 2021 at 10:07am

Here is my (new to me) n° 8 Mk I rifle.

It was built in 1951 at ROF Fazakerley and FTR'ed in 1966 at Enfield Lock.

The rifle is fitted with an A. J. Parker 8/53 sight attachment and had its battle aperture ground off.

I have a question about these factory thorough repairs, though - were they common as far as .22 LR trainers go?
Another point I have been wondering about is the receiver: this one is obviously a n° 4 receiver, but as there is no trace whatsoever of the ejector screw on the left side, does it mean that it has never seen action on a n° 4 rifle during WW2?

Regards,

Didier

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2021 at 5:17pm
nice rifle 

britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2021 at 5:36am
Could not have been a completed No. 4 rifle without an ejector screw.  

I see a screw on the left side, just forward of the safety.  Also a screw hole on the left side in the receiver bridge area.  I’m not familiar with the No. 8 rifles, and can’t imagine what these would be used for, may have been added later for mounting a scope. 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2021 at 12:33pm
Welcome to the forum Deejay; it's good to see another member from France!

The No8's were built from either no4 or No5 (Jungle Carbine) receivers. I believe that some (or most) were made from unused receivers; which would explain the lack of ejector screw hole. 

I have two No8's; one of which is the No4 type and the other  a No5 type.
one has the ejector hole; the other doesn't. The ejector hole is often used for the AJ Parker match rear dioptre sights. The 8/53 is a nice sight to have; but unfortunately not allowed of the "Tir Armes Reglementaire" (Service Rifle Competitions) here in France.

You will love shooting this rifle; they are accurate and great fun. However I would suggest buying various makes of subsonic .22 ammo; as the accuracy can vary substantially depending on the type of ammo. 
Zed.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Deejay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deejay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2021 at 1:51pm
Thank you, my dear fellow-countryman Handshake

This one is actually my second Lee-Enfield trainer - I already own a No. 2 Mk IV* (a former 1916 BSA Mk III*) and shooting it at the range is a real pleasure, although its open sights do not allow me to make the best of its accuracy.

There is a mysterious marking on the barrel of the No. 8 I was not able to interpret: a delta or triangle. Any idea what its meaning could be?

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2021 at 12:26pm
I cannot find any reference to the triangle in Skennerton's  Lee Enfield book. 
It's not the same as the Iraq ownership triangle; which has an arabic letter inside.
 I suspect it's an inspector mark form the FTR; but that is just a guess on my part!

The 1916 .22 looks fabulous. 
Deejay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deejay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2021 at 1:37pm
The 1916 is by no means spotless, but it is rather well preserved, for a rifle that is more than a hundred years old.

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2021 at 7:06pm
does wear its age well , i like it , 
Deejay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deejay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2021 at 10:37pm
I quite fancy the idea that this rifle has had several lives - as a WW1 .303 service rifle, as an Irish army rifle and finally as a single-shot small-bore rifle - and is still "active" after all these years, not just an inert piece of metal and wood in a museum.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 3:47am
It's in lovely condition.
I have a similar 1918 example, all matching and original. 
Too many dents in the wood to count and year's of linseed oil. It's a beautiful thing!
My 10 year old daughter loves shooting the .22's
What department are you in?
Deejay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deejay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2021 at 7:17am
I live quite close to the German border, near Saarbrücken.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2021 at 9:24am
We are in Paris most of the time.
1874 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1874 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 11:42am
Good evening
This forum is great !!!
With French people !!
Tell me Zed do you have prices for doors of lilacs?
I took a n9 from them which works wonders.
But a Parisian price ....
I'm on Salon de Provence
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic