Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1940 BSA No1 Mk III cut off question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1940 BSA No1 Mk III cut off question
    Posted: September 11 2021 at 12:18am
I have picked a nice 1940 dated BSA No1 Mk 111 (no Star)  it has the magazine cut off slot machined in place , my question is would it have has cut-off fitted? or was this omitted as a war-time expediency?
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2021 at 8:57am
had cut off
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2021 at 9:22am
It most likely never had a cut off with that date, the slot lingered  for awhile even after  they stopped fitting cut offs
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
bubba ho tep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubba ho tep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2021 at 9:23am
Had a 1940 BSA No1 MkIII many years ago. Got it sporterized and restored it with wood and hardware. Bore was fair at best but it could shoot. Had matching bolt. Had the BSA logo on barrel knox form. It was cut for mag cutoff but obviously as a dispersal rifle it was a salvaged and redated receiver and never had one in it's second life. Gave it to a buddy and while he lived in West VA his "friends" sons stole it and a bunch of other guns from him.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2021 at 8:34pm
the slot is one thing but is it drilled and tapped for the cutoff screw ? that would help determine if one was originally fitted or not , as is obvious from the responses it could have left the factory either way in that era , i tend toward not in this particular case because the war was in full swing and rifles were needed but i am by no means able to be certain , 
Marco1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2021 at 10:10pm
Thanks Gents for the comments.
Yes the cut off is drilled and threaded.  I was pondering the date stamp on the wrist, as the 4 in the 1940 is a bit wonky like its been over-stamped.  Perhaps the receiver had been manufactured at an earlier date and then assembled into a rifle sometime in 1940.  unless its very late 1940 this would have predated the dispersal system.  My suspicion is that if it was early 1940 there would have been a period of using existing parts stock to rapidly build up rifles after the Dunkirk retreat in any means possible.
Hence the cut-off slot being there , but no cut-off installed.  Does that sound plausible ?
bubba ho tep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubba ho tep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2021 at 6:44am
I had many years ago at different times No1 MkIII's that had the last two digits of date overstamped..one was 41 and the other a real crude 42. They both had a mix of replacement beech and old wood.A buddy still has the 42 dated dispersal. I would think your 1940 is late and fits the window of the dispersal system.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2021 at 7:03pm
yes , i think that was being said by all the responses , the period of mfgr allows for both possibilities and the fact that it predates dispersal reinforces that , but the need was real at that time and yes , it may well have been made of available parts and could easily have not had one installed even tho the receiver was fully prepped for it , not at alll uncommon and very likely with this one - you have options here , do as you please and enjoy it , 
SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2021 at 7:47pm
Howdy a photo of the open slot out of curiosity would be appreciated if possible,there might be a tell there of previous wear sign on the slot closure area.
Just curious.
Cheer’s today.

Anyone seen the Tardis Box anywhere? 🤨
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2021 at 10:09pm
if it’s a MkIII no star it had a cutoff. The cut off is the only feature that determines a MkIII from MkIII*. If it’s a MkIII it had a cut off.
Marco1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 12:20pm
The dispersal system sounds a bit like the ww2 set up lithgow had for farming out component production to a series of dispersed factories, and then later assembly.  I will try and post some photos shortly.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 1:50pm
Its an Enfield.
Never say "Always", or "Never"!
Big smile
My 1914 dated BSA ShtLe No1 MkIII (no *) has no slot!
Now it was FTR'd somewhere but the wood is the High wall type.That may not mean anything as I have no idea what the original wood (assuming its been replaced) might have looked like.
I have no idea why not. The receiver has the "hump" for the cutoff pivot, but no drilled hole, either!

I've had people who are "experts" that have told me "its not possible", "It was welded up", or "mis-stamped (in 1914?)", but I have one, so at least one was made.
Wacko

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Marco1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 3:59pm
Thanks Shamu

You are not wrong! just when you think you understand something about Lee Enfield's, you then find there is an exception to whatever the supposed rule was.  You need to keep an open inquisitive mind that's for sure !  I fact I think of these rifles a bit like a modular rifle, there are so many combinations as to how they were assembled, maintained , refurbished and then sold out of service for another extended life in sporterised use etc its almost open ended.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2021 at 7:27pm
the dispersal system was set up for BSA to keep the german bombing of england to stop production , in WWII so yes , it is like what austrailia did , the system spread parts productio0n all over - north / south / middle of the islands so all parts were numbered as a N-M-S + number for the factory , it makes this the more interesting collecting in my book , most of the things that make enfields difficult were always WHAT MADE ME MORE INTERESTED , the research is half the fun , 

now retaining everything you learned in the process has become my problem in old age , i still have a few reference books to refresh my memory , do enjoy the journey its been a fun one for me 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic