Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Hunting with the .303 British cartridge.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brit ammo going the way of the Dodo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dragunov View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dragunov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2022 at 1:29pm
This is really great news if Graf actually has this in stock. I'll purchase  a couple of 100 or so at this price, just to have for a rainy day. I note that they are also currently listing .303 brass. Probably a good idea for us to get it while we can. If things do "open up" for us soon, then Graf might order even larger quantities in the future if they perceive the market wants it.
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2022 at 5:25am
Originally posted by britrifles britrifles wrote:

I just checked Graf&Sons, they have Prvi .311 bullets in stock, and the price is quite reasonable.  

That is a very good price. I checked here, RustyWoods reloading gets them from Graf&Sons, and then charges a $1 a pc for them.
The last time I bought the privi 174gr they were $35 for a bag of 100pcs, not 50`s.
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2022 at 4:23am
I just checked Graf&Sons, they have Prvi .311 bullets in stock, and the price is quite reasonable.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2022 at 4:12am
Those are expensive bullets, but then, all reloading components are expensive now. 

It might be worth trying .308 bullets, these are available and at reasonable prices.  If the bore less than .303, particularly in a 2 groove barrel, they may work for you. 
Dragunov View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dragunov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2022 at 3:32am
Do these work well in your Enfields? I tried some pulled 7.62x54R Mosin Nagant FMJs once, but groups were wild and seemingly unpredictable.  I do note that a YouTuber is a big proponent on his channel. He even goes so far as to empty the contents of that 7.62 case directly into the .303! 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2022 at 8:49pm
You can still find the 200grn 310.5" D166 FMJ Rebated BT's at Midwayusa and Graf&Sons...
Dragunov View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dragunov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2022 at 8:38pm
I fear that it may be a considerable amount of time before we see any .311/.312 bullets made available. While there is obviously a large demand, sadly for us there is just not enough of that demand to override both the ammo manufacturers and those wanting the more common and "desireable" 5.56, 6.5, 7mm and .308 diameters. I  do think this is where buddies need to join together to create proper sized cast bullets. Whilst this only solves part of the cartridge equation, we gotta start somewhere. And, it can (as in my case) help solve the lack of .314 caliber projectiles. 
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2022 at 6:35pm
Shylo, I think you nailed it on the head! No ammo equals no shooting.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2022 at 4:21pm
 Been searching for a long time now for 303 jacketed projectiles, none, nota, zip.

Was talking to a rep at Epps just before Christmas inquiring about PPU bullets, back ordered until Feb/22 or latter as they have completely shut down due to covid related issues.

There is a company in Canada, Quebec I think, called General Dynamics among other things they make both 303 ball and Jsp rounds, the best part is they don`t sell to Canadian public.

Also another awesome snafu up here is there is now only one courier that can ship ammo and components and that`s UPS, and a lot of shops won`t ship with them, and when our Gov`t decides they can`t ship ammo any more that`l make it all the more difficult.

Being a conspiracy advocate, I have a sneaky suspicion our gov`ts have realized it`ll be way to costly make guns go away, so lets make it near impossible for anyone to shoot them.

Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2022 at 9:51am
Good point. I missed it completely.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2022 at 8:12am
Originally posted by Boogaloo Boogaloo wrote:

he!!o all. Just joined this forum today because I just acquired a 1940 No. 1 Mk.lll rifle along with an unopened box of 48 bullets which I think are milsurp. I will enjoy reading and learning from all on here. I have some pics but don't know how to post.....................Daniel

Do you you really mean to say “bullets” (projectiles) or cartridges?  If cartridges, let us know the headstamp. It may be Berdan primed, in which case, do not run the fired case thru a reloading die, you will bend or break the primer punch.  

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2022 at 7:55am
Originally posted by Boogaloo Boogaloo wrote:

he!!o all. Just joined this forum today because I just acquired a 1940 No. 1 Mk.lll rifle along with an unopened box of 48 bullets which I think are milsurp. I will enjoy reading and learning from all on here. I have some pics but don't know how to post.....................Daniel

Whats stamped on the base of the brass? That will let us ID what you have there.
Be aware some is re-loadable, some is not. Some is corrosive some is not. Neither is disastrous, but correct cleaning is needed for the varieties.

To post pictures use "Post Reply" not "quick reply. Then click on the "tree" icon (7th from left at the top of the dialog box, browse click "upload & bingo its both posted & saved to the board for future re use.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Dragunov View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dragunov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2022 at 7:48am
Paddyo, I have a number of boxes of various calibers that either I no longer have guns for, (.30-06, .358W, .350RM, .25-20W & 222R) or big overruns on those I still shoot (.327, .41M, 5.56, .44spl & .45acp). Last month I purchased and took delivery of a mold Accurate Molds. While it is advertised as for .308 diameter cartridges, the gent will expand them to the diameter you desire. Mine are a nominal .314ish.
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2022 at 6:57am
Originally posted by Dragunov Dragunov wrote:

I acquired a small bit of .303 ammo and OF brass over the last two weekends. A good buddy that collects and horse-trades Pre-64 Winchesters let's me have a spot to place a 5" x 8" file card on his table at the local gun shows. I just let it be known on the card that I am looking to buy or trade for .303 ammo, brass and  .311/.312 bullets. New Year's  weekend I got 154 rounds of WW2 Brit ammo and 21 pieces of brass. This past weekend I traded into 69 Remington and PPU pieces of brass, and 61 loaded factory JSPs. It pays to advertise .... someone out there has stuff to unload. You just gotta seek it out.

That's a great idea.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Dragunov View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dragunov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2022 at 6:51pm
I acquired a small bit of .303 ammo and OF brass over the last two weekends. A good buddy that collects and horse-trades Pre-64 Winchesters let's me have a spot to place a 5" x 8" file card on his table at the local gun shows. I just let it be known on the card that I am looking to buy or trade for .303 ammo, brass and  .311/.312 bullets. New Year's  weekend I got 154 rounds of WW2 Brit ammo and 21 pieces of brass. This past weekend I traded into 69 Remington and PPU pieces of brass, and 61 loaded factory JSPs. It pays to advertise .... someone out there has stuff to unload. You just gotta seek it out.
Boogaloo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boogaloo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2021 at 5:18pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic