Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Hunting with the .303 British cartridge.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brit ammo going the way of the Dodo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2023 at 8:10am
Originally posted by scottz63 scottz63 wrote:

Just noticed this morning there is a lot of Winchester 180gn hunting 303 everywhere. Around $50 a box average though.
Gunbroker has a bunch of unfired Winchester ammunition dated 1941 for $26.99 a box. Do not buy it unless you are willing to spend an additional $35.00 in shipping costs. I made that mistake. Saw the 26.99 price tag for the cartridges but did not see the 35 dollar shipping cost and blindly made the purchase. No jodidamente bueno!
Bullet Smith View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullet Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2023 at 8:26am
Back in the 90s, I was working 3 jobs trying to make ends meet. I ended up selling my customized Long Branch sporter and all my reloading supplies to help support the family. I was working 7 days a week and sleeping around 5 hours each night. I eventually moved west and found better opportunities. I had to retrain my thinking so that I could relax and not work all the time.
I hope things turn around for you.
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2023 at 8:46am
Originally posted by shiloh shiloh wrote:

I hope the prices come down, but I doubt they will. Artificial shortages blamed on covid and other nonsense to drive prices up on good across the board and then inflation on top of that is setting prices where the greedy want them.
As long as there are sales the prices will remain.
I have what I have now as far as reloading is concerned and when its all used up that`l be be it for me.
I no longer have the means nor the funds to replace it. All our house hold funds go to home, food and gas for the car. The rest gets gobbled up in taxes, more than half of our income goes to one form of tax or the other, leaves zero for leisure.

You can add to that the millions (maybe billions?) of rounds going into the Ukraine. Iā€™d imagine that many ammo factories are concentrating production for government contracts. I did read that the US military has depleted much of their stockpiles and will need to build them back up.

We can hope that someday, the demand will go back down down, the supply will catch up, and we will see new .303 on the market again.  But, yes, this sucks. 

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2023 at 8:57am
For those who reload. I have noticed that a couple of online stores have PPU FMJ-BT 174grn bullets for sale with a $39.00 dollar price per 100 pieces. 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2023 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Bullet Smith Bullet Smith wrote:

I cast gas checked bullets for my 303s, as well as paper patched bullets. Most recently, I started swaging soft point hunting bullets for myself and my friends.

Very Interesting! what is your process for swagging your own bullets? Are you starting with an empty cartridge case ? I heard a few years ago that fired .22 cases could be swagged into bullet ogives and filled with lead. although I would expect a .22 case to be very thin for a .311 bullet.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bullet Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2023 at 1:47pm
I make the jackets from 223 Rem - 5.56 NATO and 300 Blackout brass. It takes 4 anneals and draws to get them sized down to .312ā€
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2023 at 1:59pm
That is pretty cool!
scottz63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottz63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2023 at 2:10pm
It is pretty cool!
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2023 at 2:31pm
The .22RF cases were swaged into bullet jackets for 5.56 or 6mm.
there was a lead "wire" that you cut & slipped inside the case first IIRC.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullet Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2023 at 3:03pm
Because I want to make a better hunting bullet, I melt the cores in using an acid flux. That is why they look copper, rather than like brass. The acid leaches out the zinc from the surface brass. The expanded bullet was recovered from 8ā€ of dry newsprint.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2023 at 5:32pm
Bonded core! nice!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Sapper740 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper740 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2023 at 11:57am
SGAmmo in Oklahoma has tons of PPU .303 British for as low as $22.95 box of 20. 

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2023 at 1:35pm
That is a fine performing projectile! Well done!
Dragunov View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dragunov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2023 at 4:05am
The brother-in-law in Georgia looks for .303 brass/bullets for me (as I look for .45 LC & .45-70 for him). He recently procured 3 sealed bags of 50 O.F. brass for me from a gun show in Jonesboro. The vendor, Georgia Arms, is a big player in selling components and reloaded ammo. While I didn't "need" the brass, it is always good to have back-up. Whilst not cheap @ $25/50 per bag, when calculated in Biden-bucks, it is what it is. Interestingly, they are generous counters, as one bag had 52, and both the others had 53. Sadly, when I checked online, they are currently out of stock.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic