Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grizzly  ‘76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member
    Posted: October 03 2021 at 1:49pm
he!!o all , 
I’m a new member here . I have  visited the site in the past , and all the info is great , thanks for sharing . I just picked up a Maltby made No.4 Mk1 . I was looking for info to help identify markings on it and read and older thread about someone writing a book on Maltby made rifles . I replied to the old post and was asked to start a new thread . 

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2021 at 5:43pm
welcome , i think its a nice maltby , bear can confirm a lot of the markings for you , he has lots of time studying them 
Grizzly ‘76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grizzly  ‘76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2021 at 6:51pm
Thanks A square 10, 
It has a matching bolt ,& barrel. I have researched a little and found out the meaning of most of  the import / export proof marks . It has a 5 groove LH twist barrel that has strong rifling and mirror finish inside . On the bottom of the wrist , where the trigger guard attaches appears to be a faint D with an arrow in it ? Is this an Aussie ownership mark? The magazine did not have a serial number just M/ 56 on the follower and on the locking lug , also a 4 , it is painted black . It was soaking in Ballistol when I photographed it . I gave it thorough cleaning after the pictures. It was very dusty , dry and had a little bit of rust developing around the stamped numbers . The action is smooth as glass after cleaning. From what I can tell most parts are stamped with an M . The rear sight is a B w/ broad arrow (BSA?) , the Mk 5 I think , 200-800yd like a No5 MK1 carbine . It had cosmoline staining on it underneath the aperture when I “elevated “ it . Other than the rear sight ( which is the same color of finish ), it looks to be in original condition. The spike bayonet was stamped F.F.&S. Ld  ( F. Fisher & Sons ?) on one side that was a bit rougher /  unfinished . The Cocking piece has  W&S stamped on it . The lower front end cap has a CE 1967 , black paint . The top front end cap has no markings and is painted black .   The receiver appears to have the oil bath finish , not the black paint . 
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2021 at 7:55pm
Welcome to the club!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 4:02am
Welcome!
That looks like a lovely Maltby rifle. 
The rear sight has been replaced and would be a No5 carbine version as you know. It would have had the pressed steel type with the slide release catch on the side. At least that is what was originally on my 1944 Maltby. 
However I have heard that the No5 rear sight has finer adjustments than the original singer made sight fitted to the No4 rifle, Due to the thread apparently. 
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grizzly  ‘76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 4:37pm
Thanks guys , 
Zed , that is what I read also . I am familiar with the stamp steel sights , those are on my P-14 and and my M-1917 . 
The No.5 sight is very well made and looks like it was NOS . It has no wear and after cleaning it and removing cosmoline brightened up and was very precise. My FAZ 1/46 No.5 MK1 has a little more worn , but exact same sight . I got the Enfield fever after watching the film 1917 again . Ended up getting 4 different varieties from an estate auction . The other was an Isshy 7.62x51 No1mkIII from 1967 , very nice “look” of Jungle Carbine . It was done nicely, but unfortunately wears the No1 MKIII sights . I have a heck of a time with those ,  prefer the rear ghost ring or peep aperture. 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 5:24pm
BEAR 43 is the book writer.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grizzly  ‘76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 5:27pm
Thanks Bear . I hope to hear from him . 
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 5:47pm
M56 was the war code for the factory that produced the bolt components , nice sling and bayo/scabard set as well 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grizzly  ‘76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 6:19pm
thanks A square 10 ! they came with rifle . 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 9:31am
He was having a problem logging on a couple of days ago. I'm not sure if its been fixed.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 12:34pm
Here is a photo of my 1944 Maltby. It's a BJ prefix; so slightly earlier than your rifle.
This rifle was part of a parachute drop to the French Resistance; after the war it was stored for 70 years.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grizzly  ‘76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 12:37pm
nice ! really a fan of walnut furniture. But couldn’t resist when I saw the one I purchased  . That’s great you have some history on yours . 
SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Grizzly  ‘76 Grizzly ‘76 wrote:

nice ! really a fan of walnut furniture. But couldn’t resist when I saw the one I purchased  . That’s great you have some history on yours . 

Howdy Grizzly;
You mentioned (what looks? to be a Broad Arrow inserted inside a D) yes that is an early Australian Government Ownership mark,but it dates back to the pre 1920’s,D^D was then in the post year’s to follow.
So henceforth whatever that stamp mark you photo’d I’m hesitant say just what that is.
Cheer’s today.
Anyone seen the Tardis Box anywhere? 🤨
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grizzly  ‘76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 4:59pm
SGonger, thanks for the reply . Part of the fun of old milsurplus rifles , tracking down the stamps . The info I found did not mention the dates used for that stamp . Just started my Enfield collection this year , so still new to the British rifles . There is an impressive amount of info available. It’s deciphering it all correctly is where I need help from more experienced collectors. I’ve been looking at purchasing books to help . No one I know personally has “old historic Gun fever “. My friends all want the latest tacticool thing out there, I have a soft spot for wood stocks and blued steel . I got started collecting the WWII US rifles . Then it spread to British, French, Swiss , German ,& Czech ….
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grizzly  ‘76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 5:02pm
thanks Shamu for the reply .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic