Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 7:44pm
Grizzly;
A tidbit;
Australia (Lithgow) never produced the No4’s but did end up being supplied with them on a good scale later WW2 prior to embarking on the Borneo Campaign,please to note no sling attached to them yet in the photo.
Cheer’s.
A  
Anyone seen the Tardis Box anywhere? 🤨
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 7:46pm
Well, I'll be Censored
 once again I learn something!
Thanks.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Grizzly ‘76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grizzly  ‘76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 7:28am
SGonger, 
Thanks for the info ! My grandfather was in the USMC during WWII , he fought in the South Pacific. Those allied guys had it tough fighting on those islands ! I’m trying to get as much background info I can from the stamps / & proofs on the rifle and wood furniture. Much appreciated. 
SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

Well, I'll be Censored
 once again I learn something!
Thanks.

No worries ole cobber......but this photo along with some other noted photo’s pertaining to the (Oz 1st Para Batt training) open up a number of question’s?,about how these No4’s were Gov Owner stamped D^D?,used,maintained,inspected stamped (returned to England? 🤷‍♂️ etc etc,l),as you know.

Don’t mean to side track the OP thread but it’s something to keep in mind about the No4’s.
Cheer’s today.
Anyone seen the Tardis Box anywhere? 🤨
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 4:31pm
Those pictures you posted are great! Those inspection marks on the left front, the circular marks, are some of the clearest inspection marks I have ever seen. Very nice! As for the letters on the wrist (also notice the 2 M's stamped above the D) there really isn't anything I have found as to the meaning of those. What I can tell you is that those marks are unique to Maltby rifles. If you could get a super-closeup of those wrist marks it may help. Overall, you have a very nice looking rifle.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grizzly  ‘76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 4:34pm
thank you bear 43 . I can post some more pictures in a bit . I thought I saw a few more round inspection stamps but they are kinda faint . 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grizzly  ‘76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 5:30pm
I have been unsuccessful in my attempts to load further images . 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 9:57am
What happened so they couldn't load?
Was there any kind of error message?
There is a file size limit but I don't remember what it is instantly. Also theres a limit per post, which I also don't remember. Maybe try shrinking the images to somewhere round 1024 X whatever & posting to a now post in the same thread?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grizzly  ‘76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 10:00am
shamu , it just wouldn’t load . I went into the file control and was way under the data limit . I was able to remove a picture from the file to add space . I did try shrinking the file 3 separate times , smaller each time . I tried from work and home too. Not sure what is the problem. I’m like kindergarten level computer savvy. 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 2:30pm
Can you e-mail me the original & I'll see what I can figure out for you?
PMd you the e-mail
smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 2:45pm
I have a picture of my dad in 63 with his infantry buddies out bush at the school if infantry using Bren guns and stens . Before deployment to 1RAR 
smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 2:47pm

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grizzly  ‘76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 3:00pm
Nice ! I’ll ask my brother to send me a picture of my Grandfather. I don’t think we have any photos of him on the islands , just his USMC head shot . My brother ( who was also a Marine) , has Grandpas dress green jacket . 
smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 5:06pm
grizzly , my great uncle was In the 55 th battalion 1 stAIF . They where part of the first battle with the doughboys in ww1 . Uncle d**k was in the artillery in ww2 in Darwin when the japs bombed it and my dad father and brothers served as well in pacific theatre one on coast watch the rest in New Guinea ,Thailand Burma Singapore .Dad was a Vietnam vet 66-67 did a lot of joint operations with the yanks . Us Aussie been grunting around with the yanks for a long time .
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grizzly  ‘76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 6:16pm
smerdon 42 , 
Wow great family line of military service !The world we be a whole lot different if those guys hadn’t teamed up back in the day .  My Uncle Dave was in the US Army ,  Vietnam as a combat engineer. They used to go in defoliate and then  clear,  ( bull dozer)  , jungle hill tops for  forward operating bases , fire  bases , and helicopter landing pads . He had some stories . My father missed the draft by 3 months he didn’t turn 18 until May of ‘72 . 
My Step brother was US Army artillery, served in the Persian Gulf theater, Saudi Arabia, to keep Saddam Hussein at bay between the ‘91 gulf war and the ‘01 gulf war . Operation Desert Shield . His grandfather, my step - grandfather served in the US Army field  artillery , WWII European theatre . 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 12:20pm
OK, the pics, as promised.
They were just too big as an individual file size for the forum to accept them. Possibly because the files were "Embedded" (physically inserted) instead of being "linked" (which is like  street address to go to for a house). Its possible to be under the TOTAL image upload (the green "thermometer bar"), but over the individual file limit, which was a couple of megs in your case.
That's my best guess anyway.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic