Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another Enfield newbi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farmhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Enfield newbi
    Posted: October 07 2021 at 3:57pm
Thanks for allowing me to be join, hope to learn and not be a pest lol. I received a 1917 "American" Enfield after my father in law passed little over a month ago. Not new to guns but know nothing about these. Has been rebarrled to 7mm Mag, what he told me before he got sick. CAI 7mm, P-14 USA is stamped on the barrel. Receiver is stamped ERA with serial number below it. After a little research found out it is an Eddy stone. Not sure whether to shoot it or hang it on the wall, have found conflicting info on the Eddy stone recovers. Any advice would be much appreciated. And sorry if this is beating a dead horse again.
Grizzly ‘76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grizzly  ‘76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 6:42pm
farmhand , 
CAI is Century Arms Imports , it was stamped for import to the US . There was a batch of receivers that were not properly heat treated . There are articles on the serial number range . From what I remember reading the guys in the factory were being paid by the piece , or a set price per unit produced . So to get more done the turned up the heat treating furnace . Then to further expedite they were using sight or when the metal turned Orange to white , then quench it . This “burned “ the carbon out of the steel making it brittle . More than a few failed the proof test , and then things were changed . I have an Eddystone produced later on after the bad batch . 
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 8:10pm
that would make it an eddystone Pattern 14 that was originally in 303 , its a mauser style action that lent well to later sporting and rechambering 

there were three mfgrs of the pattern 14 and later model 1917 in 3006 , eddystone , winchester and remington , all were independent of the other , the earlier british contracts called for rifles made similar to the enfield , the later US contracts called for parts interchangeability , all of these rifles were produced in the world war 1 era , 

remington and winchester made the bayonets pattern 1913 and model 1917 here in the states , these served on into viet nam and were new manufactured then , 

there is lots more to tell - ill let some others step in , welcome to the fold 
Farmhand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farmhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 9:00pm
Thank you for the reply. Only place I see P-14 is on the barrel. According to the serial number the action was built in May 1918. Really hoping it is actually strong enough to handle 7mag. Really confused after reading other info on the Eddy's, some say it's ok and some say it's not. When heat treated it was made too hard and brittle.
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 5:31am
My first Milsurp was P14 Remington  which I still have and shoot  for  a detailed presentation on them 
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 7:27am
Welcome from Brandon, Manitoba, Canada!
Farmhand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farmhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 8:29am
Thanks for the info. What year was yours built Grizz?
Farmhand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farmhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 8:41am
Thanks, hoping to learn some good information.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 8:50am
Slight correction if I may.
"CAI"= "Century Arms International".
Slight change to the earlier name which became kind of infamous because of its commonality with a "certain Government Agency".
CIA was "Century International Arms."
If it only says that it was a pre 1968 import because the required markings changed ti include an address, St Alb VT.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Farmhand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farmhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 8:17pm
I tried to post a picture but haven't figured it out yet, I will though. Looks like markings on barrel say CAI ST A1H VT. 7mm. P-14 USA. I know it's not original barrel on rifle. 
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 8:24pm
i cant speak to your action but in general they lent themselves well to most conversions that would be within the range of the originals and there were a lot of wildcats done with them , 

that would be a later P14 i would think it might serve well , have it looked at by a gunsmith to alleviate your concerns , might be worth some research on what rechambering were common to these as well , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2021 at 9:09am
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Farmhand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farmhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2021 at 12:54pm
Thanks for all the info guys, I do plan on having a gunsmith look at it when I get time. Father in law was a horse trader for sure, he passed before I could get much info on it.
Farmhand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farmhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2021 at 1:02pm
Grizzly ‘76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grizzly  ‘76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 6:28pm
farmhand , 
My P-14 was built in 1916 . Serial # 1226x. It has the serial number matching original barrel , and eddystone original lower “fatso” stock . Most other parts are “E” marked for eddystone. The bolt is not matching ,  Winchester. The magazine follower is a Remington , as are both of the top of barrel hand guards . The rear sight is E , but not numbers matching, looks new with 99670 stamped on the top . The bore is ok , it was really dirty when I bought it , but is decent now , not mirror , kinda frosty . It has a brass disc , no markings . It went through the Wheedon Repair and had the volley sights ground off , but the elevation plate “E” is still there . I have not fired this one yet as I’m having trouble finding .303 British ammo . I have some from 1942 , but don’t think I trust it . The metal has been refinished, but done beautifully. It was in a gunsmiths estate sale . There is a lot of info out there on these still . A lot were sporterized like your beautiful rifle . This is because the actions were very strong , and after the wars these were sold very cheap, and the wood had been through a world war or two . I have an interest in old military rifles ,and their history. The stock cartouche’s, or stamps are hard to read on mine , it has been through a lot in the last 105 years . I can barley make out a broad arrow over a circled IE over a more faint PATTERN # 14 . There is a cross + like a  plus sign under the brass disc , maybe a Greek lend lease ? . Behind the wrist on the bottom of the stock is a * J (Wheedon Repair ) . On the left side of my receiver is the number 38 , I think the year the repair was done ,lend lease ,  or the year it was sold out of service . Mine also had a lot of armorers stamps on the bottom of the barrel, and British proof marks / acceptance stamps all over . Mine also was import marked , behind the front sight, on the bottom of the barrel CAI ST A VT  P-14 .303 U.S. when imported back to the USA . This rifle will last another 105 years easy as long as it is properly taken care of . 
Farmhand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farmhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2021 at 4:57pm
Grizzly '76, thank you for all the info. Don't think the bolt on mine is original either, only ones I can find are on bolt handle. Two sets by the way. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic