Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

#4/MK1 (no-star) Savage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: #4/MK1 (no-star) Savage
    Posted: October 09 2021 at 11:11am
I was just in my local gun store. On the consignment rack there is a 1942 Savage #4/MK1 no-star that was rebuilt with new furniture and metal bits The serial is a low 0C series. Numbers matching action and bolt handle although the bolt handle serial# looks doctored and stamped with letters and #'s that look modern, not war time. The asking price is $1,200 Can. The 'US Property' stamps are intact and it had been to England. Magazine has no serial#. Blackish sling. Just reporting what I am seeing, prices seem to be escalating quite rapidly or this seller is very optimistic. What are your thoughts?
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2021 at 12:39pm
Geeze Canuck..seems a tad pricey...+ numbering seems sketchy.
Loose wimmen tightened here
Marco1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2021 at 2:13pm
Maybe been FTR (factory refurb) in the Uk , hence the renumber bolt.  without more detail / photos hard for anyone here on to comment more accurately.
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2021 at 2:40pm
Sold my referb`d savage last year, numbers matching for $750, Personally I think $1200 is too much, you can get a full wood Long Branch for that.
The savages are nice but not $1200 nice even in original nick, there`s still non greedy bargins out there I`d keep looking.

Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2021 at 2:58pm
I could not see any refurbishment markings or etchings at all. I am not into buying any Savage Enfield rifles as I have a few already. Maybe I will go to the store again this coming week and look it over more closely. Possibly, I may be allowed to take pictures, I know the store owner personally as well as his assistants. One thing I did notice while handling the rifle was there was absolutely zero up pressure on the barrel, it seems tight as can be. I will also bring my coin style head space gauges to check that measurement. I will make it look like I am interested in this rifle.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 5:34am
Seems about $300-400 high to me. In Manitoba, it would have to be in exceptional condition to bring that price, but I have noticed prices are creeping up.
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 5:37am
new wood and metal bits=refurb/rebuilt fixed to resemble original
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 8:25am
Shiloh, I agree with you.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 9:49am
There are a couple of individuals on Armslist who are asking anywhere between $899.00 and $1199.00 for their No4Mk1* Savage made Enfield rifle. There are eBay sellers attempting to fetch $130 - $150 for Enfield Magazines made by Savage and on another gun forum there are some who are claiming these particular rifles to be extremely rare and sought after. In a pawn shop south of Phoenix in Marana Arizona, thete is a No4Mk1* Savage that is listed as: Rare and genuine WWII British 303 Gun!!! Complete with spike and gun strap, $1100.00!!!
My only assumption is someone has managed to convince the masses that a plain ol' ordinary Savage made No4Mk1* is as rare as unicorn poo.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 10:59am
Education is a wonderful thing! Know your subject before buying!
I'm always amazed at how people spend money before checking the market price. Spending a few hundred dollars over the top for a rifle is maybe not the end of the world; but I often see clients arrive at the garage with a car they've bought without getting it inspected prior to purchase. 
When you give them an estimate for the years of neglect; they think we're ripping them off. So they refuse the work and sell it on to the next Muppet.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 12:23pm
The No Star is rarer than the star, but it still seems a bit steep to me.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic