Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Bayonets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Something new

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Something new
    Posted: November 23 2021 at 11:07am
After almost two months, I feel that we need a change of scenery!

Although only one of these bayonets will fit a Lee Enfield, several were made by Enfield which also produced their rifles. 

Herewith some Martini Bayonets:  
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 11:08am
That is a superb collection!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2021 at 6:32pm
wow
Loose wimmen tightened here
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2021 at 3:47am
That's a great collection Terry .
I do have one of the spike bayonets in the wall of our barn. It was built late 19th century. Probably put there to hang a sack of hay from for the horse's.
There are battle sites close by from the Prussian war. So these spike bayonets turn up occasionally at local brocantes (yard sale of the whole village).
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2021 at 6:44am
Zed, Sadly the collection isn't complete.  Missing the second model of the Pat 1887 - very uncommon. Typical of the frugal War Office two of the bayonets originally fitted the earlier Enfield muzzle-loader and Snider, but were bushed to fit the Martini. One of these is the first of the spike bayonets, the Pat 1853. The other two spikes are the 1876, and the 1895 for the Martini Enfield. 
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2021 at 8:22am
I had no idea there were that many Martini bayonets.  

Loading and shooting blackpowder loads in the Martini is a lot of fun.  Pretty stout recoil with 480-500 grain bullets.  
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2021 at 10:57am
Britrifles, the bayonets shown naturally include those for the Martini Metfords and Martini Enfields.

I have also experienced the effects of firing .577/450 cartridges! However, shooting .303 Martini Enfield Cavalry Carbines weighing about 6 lbs 11 oz is something that can likewise be remembered!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2021 at 1:40pm
I have a few tri-cornered bayos for my pat 1853 Enfield
Loose wimmen tightened here
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2021 at 5:48pm
very nice , i had a couple of those but i seldom saw most of them when i was looking , but then i didnt have but two martinis in my collection , 
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2021 at 10:41pm
The .450 Martini Henrys and their (chronologically) sequenced bayonets: 
Mks. I, I/II, II, III, AC, CC, IVa, IVb & IVc.  
scottz63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottz63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2021 at 3:16am
Very nice collection!
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2021 at 8:32am
I never see these spike bayonets here in the States.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2021 at 12:32pm
I bought a slightly rusty 1853 type bayonnet for 3 Euro's a couple of years back. 
This was at a local village brocante. It was attached to a broom handle; and a guy was looking at it and asked the price. 3 Euros says the seller; " I'll give you 2" says the guy. "No" says the seller (Meanwhile I'm sorting 3 Euro in change in my pocket). 2.50 says the guy; "No it's 3 Euro's" says the seller.
As soon as the guy turns away; (probably expecting the seller to say OK 2.50. I step forward " Here's 3 Euro" and off we walk with the bayonnet; just as the other guy was turning back!

I gave it to a neighbour who's in to the local history of the 1870 Prussian war; of which the region was heavily involved. In particular the 18th October 1870 battle of Chateaudun.

Here's the one in the wall!

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
LeadKisses View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeadKisses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2022 at 6:43am
Wow, neat collection!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2022 at 7:19pm
its fun when these come back areound - ZED , why is it in the wall ? was there a reason it got selected for the purpose ? 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2022 at 7:43pm
We kinda sorta did this a while back.Tongue
Whosoever shall pull this bayonet from the barn shalt be proclaimed pure of intent & trusty of heart & shall rule the kingdom!
(unless he posesseth upon his person WD 40!)
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic