Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enfield Sniper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2021 at 10:10pm
From what I can see in the last picture is an original and unissued bolt. No matching serial number present.  As per our recent PM's,  it should be noted that. If you do decide to purchase the rifle, make certain that both locking lugs make equal contact inside the locking lug recesses in the reciever and have the headspace checked. 
The Apprentice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apprentice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2021 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

From what I can see in the last picture is an original and unissued bolt. No matching serial number present.  As per our recent PM's,  it should be noted that. If you do decide to purchase the rifle, make certain that both locking lugs make equal contact inside the locking lug recesses in the reciever and have the headspace checked. 

I will do and thank you very much for your help 
New to Enfield’s
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2021 at 2:58am
When bolts were fitted by military armorers, the rifle serial number would be added to the back surface of the bolt handle.  Bolts are not interchangeable, they must be fitted to the individual rifle.  So, as Goosic said, this is a “new bolt” likely fitted by a previous owner. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2021 at 3:06am
Originally posted by The Apprentice The Apprentice wrote:

Buttstock bottom picture 
I hope to get some more pictures of the top of the receiver tomorrow

I can’t make out what that marking is, may have been sanded over.  The Holland & Holland markings at this location on the butt should be “S 51”.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2021 at 3:30am
Originally posted by The Apprentice The Apprentice wrote:

Geoff both the top 2 really do well with 150 grain spittzer boat tails I haven’t tried 168 grain match bullets

I can’t wait to see how that Enfield will do against my Remington a4

The 03 will shoot 125 gr flat base (like Speer TNT) thru to 175 boat tails very well.  In good condition, these are highly accurate rifles.  

In my experience, the order of importance in obtaining a high standard of accuracy is:

1. Skill of shooter.
2. Condition of rifle, particularly bore and stock fitting.
3. Ammo/Load

A highly skilled shooter will always beat out an average shooter regardless of the rifle or load used (unless there is something very wrong with the rifle). For example, a skilled shooter firing an average as issued M1 with M2 ball ammo will beat out an average shooter with a 1 MOA capable 03 Springfield or Lee Enfield shooting match grade ammunition.  I’m speaking of “position” shooting, not off the bench.  

Twodogs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2021 at 5:03am
The S under the bolt head.

Probably means that it was factory sighted with open sights for conversion to No.4 (T). This mark was stamped on th RH lump at front of receiver, No.4 rifle sniper rifle.

The Broad Arrow Mk2, Skennerton, P97

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apprentice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2021 at 5:10am
Originally posted by britrifles britrifles wrote:

When bolts were fitted by military armorers, the rifle serial number would be added to the back surface of the bolt handle.  Bolts are not interchangeable, they must be fitted to the individual rifle.  So, as Goosic said, this is a “new bolt” likely fitted by a previous owner. 

I plan on ordering no-go and field gauges from pacific tool & die after I get it , 
I have checked a couple of my 1903a3’s and a few m1 garands so unless there is a extractor issue I feel comfortable doing this task, As for the bolt lug fit I may need further help with.
Thank you Geoff & Goosic for warning me on this 
New to Enfield’s

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apprentice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2021 at 7:59am
Originally posted by Twodogs Twodogs wrote:

The S under the bolt head.

Probably means that it was factory sighted with open sights for conversion to No.4 (T). This mark was stamped on th RH lump at front of receiver, No.4 rifle sniper rifle.

The Broad Arrow Mk2, Skennerton, P97

Thank you for the information Twodogs I picked this up on the CMP forum I don’t have the book to prove it but I believe it to be true:
Another hard-to fake item is the tiny D6E stamp on the left or right side of the wrist on the BSA rifles. ONLY the snipers have this stamp. In his book on the Enfield "T" sniper, author Peter Laidler refers to the "D6E" stamp as an "on site Enfieldexaminer/inspection stamp. He recalls the man , through worker interviews, as "Enfield Examiner D6, based at the Harrow Rd. Holland's Works was the affable Harry Hardwick, now sadly deceased"... These wartime brit rifles really can tell a story.. 
New to Enfield’s
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2021 at 9:44am
Just remember to check which headspace standard they are made to. There are 2 differing specs.What you need as a gauge measuring 0.074", never mind what its called.
Sounds odd I know but there's an 0.074 "coin type Gauge for the Mosin that is perfect for the Enfied as a FIELD, but I believe marked as a No Go?

GO           NO-GO        FIELD

(One dimple) (Two dimples) (Three dimples)

GO = 0.064"          NO-GO = 0.067"      FIELD = 0.074".

is the spec you want.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apprentice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2021 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

Just remember to check which headspace standard they are made to. There are 2 differing specs.What you need as a gauge measuring 0.074", never mind what its called.
Sounds odd I know but there's an 0.074 "coin type Gauge for the Mosin that is perfect for the Enfied as a FIELD, but I believe marked as a No Go?

GO           NO-GO        FIELD

(One dimple) (Two dimples) (Three dimples)

GO = 0.064"          NO-GO = 0.067"      FIELD = 0.074".

is the spec you want.

Thank you Shamu
I have read that 303 & 30/40 Kraig are the same headspace gauge 
If you find a link for that Mosin Coin type that would work I would appreciate it.
Jeff
New to Enfield’s
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2021 at 7:06pm
Firewerks IIRC

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 4:09am
SAAMI specs for headspace for .30-40 Krag and .303 British are indeed the same:  .064 min, .071 max

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 8:46am
Small correction if I may, probably "auto incorrect".
30-40 Krag (Jorgenson)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 10:01am
Yup, dang auto correct!  I just fixed it. 

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 1:26pm
The Original scope serial number 14619 visible on the wrist. 
The rifle serial is B34591 made by BSA in 1944.
It looks like a very nice No4Mk1T sniper rifle.
Only thing to of minor concern is the un-numbered bolt. That should be checked for fit and headspace.
Once proper fit is confirmed, put the serial number on it to avoid confusion.
I would suggest using the services of "Brian D*ck" at BDL in the USA for checking it out.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apprentice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2021 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Zed Zed wrote:

The Original scope serial number 14619 visible on the wrist. 
The rifle serial is B34591 made by BSA in 1944.
It looks like a very nice No4Mk1T sniper rifle.
Only thing to of minor concern is the un-numbered bolt. That should be checked for fit and headspace.
Once proper fit is confirmed, put the serial number on it to avoid confusion.
I would suggest using the services of "Brian D*ck" at BDL in the USA for checking it out.

Thank you Zed for the information 
By any chance do you have a link to Brian’s business?
If you don’t want to post it you can send to via a pm 
Thank you 🙏 
Jeff
New to Enfield’s
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic