Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enfield Sniper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apprentice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2022 at 9:08am
Originally posted by terrylee terrylee wrote:

WW II British Sniper CES. 

Terry I can’t believe how cool this set up is both you and Michael are very blessed 😊 
Maybe some day I can complete mine 

I did learn that my rifle was purchased from the east coast a few years back I wish he could have gotten the wood storage box as well . 
Thank you for the pictures so I can research these items 
Goals 

New to Enfield’s
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2022 at 9:17am
A different "Sunbeam" was also a long-lived automobile maker, probably more likely than the bakery! Thumbs Up
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunbeam_Motor_Car_Company
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2022 at 9:52am
I must sincerely apologize.  Its not Sunbeam. Its Sunshine and dated 1945/6? Australian made?
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2022 at 12:19pm
Falklands era British Sniper CES. (Both rifles are Enfields)

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2022 at 12:26pm
Terrylee: Do you shoot any of these?
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2022 at 2:35pm
Goosic, Yes, but not regularly, since I prefer my Enforcer.  However, I can report that the L42 is deadly accurate within the limitations of its No. 32 derived scope. The No.4 Mk 1 (T) is also very good, but not to the same degree. I also occasionally shoot the L1A1, but without its IWS, since I do not have access to a range which is open at night! Terry  
smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2022 at 3:05pm
I love the SLR . GRUNTED IT AROUND IN AUSSIE ARMY.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2022 at 3:08pm
You need to visit with me. I have 24/7/365 access to the range I'm associated with...
The Apprentice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apprentice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2022 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by The Apprentice The Apprentice wrote:

Originally posted by britrifles britrifles wrote:

When bolts were fitted by military armorers, the rifle serial number would be added to the back surface of the bolt handle.  Bolts are not interchangeable, they must be fitted to the individual rifle.  So, as Goosic said, this is a “new bolt” likely fitted by a previous owner. 

I plan on ordering no-go and field gauges from pacific tool & die after I get it , 
I have checked a couple of my 1903a3’s and a few m1 garands so unless there is a extractor issue I feel comfortable doing this task, As for the bolt lug fit I may need further help with.
Thank you Geoff & Goosic for warning me on this 

Well Guys it took me some time but I am circling back on my bolt since it was not serial numbered so I go a clymer no go gauge I placed it be hind the extractor slowly feed it into the chamber and got the bolt to close to about %80 it felt like it didn’t want to go anymore 

So gentlemen do we call this a success?
New to Enfield’s
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2022 at 6:36pm
Yup.  What’s the rim thickness on the gage? 

Make sure you clean the back edge of the chamber well, any built up crud here will give a false reading. 
Marco1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2022 at 6:53pm
I could be wrong here but the bolt head looks like it might not be sufficiently wound in.
hard to tell in the photo.
The Apprentice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apprentice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2022 at 7:07pm
[QUOTE=Marco1010]I could be wrong here but the bolt head looks like it might not be sufficiently wound in.
hard to tell in the photo.

Marco how can I check for sufficient bolt wound ?
New to Enfield’s
AussieShooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2022 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

I must sincerely apologize.  Its not Sunbeam. Its Sunshine and dated 1945/6? Australian made?
these are like the ones I tapped out of.  I did some research on the Sunshine company and it was a fascinating history.  I’m a bit sketchy on the details now, but the founder of Sunshine invented some of the core farming technology and sold it to Massey Ferguson.  I thought it was interesting. 
"Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges" - Tacitus
The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates
Marco1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Marco1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2022 at 1:44am
there is a mass of info on this forum about headspace, bolt heads and acceptable amount of "Clocking"  ie how much the bolt head should move.  be worthwhile having a read, you will be well repaid with the knowledge, also if unsure post a question, the amount of collective knowledge here with the members is awesome. and everyone loves responding.

great rifle you have there, would love one for my collection.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2022 at 3:56am
I think it’s just a shadow we are seeing.  Just make sure the bolt head is screwed all the way down onto the bolt body before inserting the bolt assembly into the receiver.  If it was off by one turn, I don’t think the bolt would turn very far at all. 

With the bolt out of the receiver and the bolt head screwed all the way down, the bolt head should not over turn too far past the bolt body rib.  Someone here will have a photo or sketch of this check. I’ll dig one up this morning if no one else posts something.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2022 at 4:11am
The maximum bolt head overturn is 20 degrees or 3/16 inch when measured at the outer corner of the bolt head. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
  Share Topic