Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Hunting with the .303 British cartridge.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interesting “tank” target

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interesting “tank” target
    Posted: January 13 2022 at 4:40pm
I recently got three examples of this target when I purchased an enfield breech cover out of an auction in Canada.  I thought the shooters on this board may enjoy them, and also tell me what they are, exactly.    If interested I could scan these at 100% size.  I guess they measure about 8” by 4”, but I did not measure it.  

"Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges" - Tacitus
The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates
Stumpkiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stumpkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2022 at 5:37pm
Probably for practice with sub-caliber inserts or "dummy" rounds at 25 yards for a silhouette that would appear the same as a real tank at 500 yards.  
Charlie P.

Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2022 at 10:35pm
i was wondering that .... who would think a 303/3006/308 would even phase that ? subcaliber training rounds makes sense to me 
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2022 at 2:01am
When I was in, we used similar with the 84mm Carl Gustav anti tank weapon, and interestingly the sub cal insert was 6.5mm round.
For live fire in Meaford, we had old WWII Nazi tanks to blast away at, I remember hitting a Panzer IV, the thing was Swiss cheese.
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
AussieShooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2022 at 6:24am
I thought something similar - set the target at 25 yards, plink it with a .22, and you should be able to it a real tank at 500 yards with an anti-tank rifle.  OK - what is an anti-tank rifle, and where do I get one!

I thought you might enjoy it.
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2022 at 7:33am
"OK - what is an anti-tank rifle, and where do I get one!"

Well I guess in the 40`s that`d be a Piat or a crate of tnt, if you where serving in Canada, the US had something made by the Bazooka bubble gum company, didn`t they?? Wink
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2022 at 9:19am
Originally posted by AussieShooter AussieShooter wrote:

I recently got three examples of this target when I purchased an enfield breech cover out of an auction in Canada.  I thought the shooters on this board may enjoy them, and also tell me what they are, exactly.    If interested I could scan these at 100% size.  I guess they measure about 8” by 4”, but I did not measure it.  

I think this is for the 55 cal Canadian anti tank rifle, Boys or some thing like that.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2022 at 9:21am
I think it says "For Pts I & II (.22")"
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2022 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

i was wondering that .... who would think a 303/3006/308 would even phase that ? subcaliber training rounds makes sense to me 
A school mate of mine was an Abrams tank driver during Desert Storm.
He got a can of Spaghetti O's into the turbine, shutting it down completely.(More on that later.) 
Waiting for the tank retriever, he would be shot at every hour on the hour. The tank was retrieved within 6 hours and when they looked over the external parts they found one bullet out of hundreds sticking out of one of the tanks track pads...
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2022 at 1:47pm
They had all sorts of "silhouette" targets back in the day. They were called Figure (insert #) targets.
Officers with peaked caps, Squadies aiming a rifle prone & so on.

scroll down to pp 150 or so.

There was a marksmanship training setup with a "scenery" & "objects" (targets)
It was a big panoramic thing with a top & bottom half. The top was detailed scenery, the bottom was plain.
the "targets" were separate & could be moved & pinned so it was always a fresh setup.The instructor would call a "Target" at a specific location on the scenic background & the trainee would  locate it & fire at it.
Something like:
"Tank, to the left, under the tree to the left of the farmhouse 350 yards".
or
"Soldier, prone, in the bushes to the right of the bridge on the Right 125 yds"

The sights were set off by a couple of feet vertically & the shot would go into the plain lower section. there was an offset scoring gizmo too, you'd set the upper end over the called target & the bottom would score a HIT or a MISS depending on the position of the bullet strike. It even took into effect the bullet path & sight settings although it was all at one distance.
The hole would then be patched.

I forget the name of the drill, but there was a LOT more training for a competent rifleman back then. I think 2 years was the quoted time frame.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2022 at 9:06am
AussieShooterIs one cool dude.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2022 at 12:20pm
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
AussieShooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2022 at 1:07pm
41 lbs!  I'll tell you, the German's were creative and inventive.   Thanks for posting. 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2022 at 3:53pm
It helps with the horrendous recoil!
Boys:
35 lb (16 kg) unloaded.
Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic