Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cleaning the Bore doesn’t have to be a Chore

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2022 at 5:50pm
Yes, the slotted and threaded piece is marked .410.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2022 at 6:23pm
Do any of you use a stainless steel bore brush?
pisco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2022 at 10:11pm
I have used ammonia from the chemical supply shop plugged the muzzle with a ear plug and filled the barrel and let sit then pulled the plug that cleaned it out
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2022 at 3:07am
The twisted wire Jag may be for removing a lost patch from the bore. 
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2022 at 3:37am
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

Everything I could read from the barrel makers say never use a steel wire brush, it will damage the bore.  Most recommend using patches only, no brushing of any kind, but if you do, push the brush right thru the bore and remove it, this will prevent wearing the crown. 

I used to use a nylon brush every time for cleaning, but stopped a few years ago.  It does not seem necessary if you allow the solvent to do the work. 

A borescope is useful to evaluate your cleaning methods. 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2022 at 5:48am
Originally posted by britrifles britrifles wrote:

Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

Everything I could read from the barrel makers say never use a steel wire brush, it will damage the bore.  Most recommend using patches only, no brushing of any kind, but if you do, push the brush right thru the bore and remove it, this will prevent wearing the crown. 

I used to use a nylon brush every time for cleaning, but stopped a few years ago.  It does not seem necessary if you allow the solvent to do the work. 

A borescope is useful to evaluate your cleaning methods. 
I don't use a stainless steel bore brush, I was just asking.
I know I mentioned this in an earlier post awhile back.
I do not clean my target rifles all the time, if I am shooting back to back to back during the week. It is best to leave them fouled until you are done with a competition completely. A pre-fouled barrel has the advantages of knowing,within reason, of where your shot placement will be as opposed to starting out with a cold bore shot followed by warming shots. When I do clean the rifles, it is with a typical bronze bore brush after running a wet patch through it. I will pass a mop down the bore and then chase that with dry patches until they come out clean.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2022 at 6:11am
I’ve occasionally skipped cleaning the bore between successive days in shooting in a match.  

Competitive Benchrest shooters who are after supreme accuracy will clean the bore between strings of fire.  
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2022 at 6:17am
Shooters such as myself were taught and instructed to leave the rifle fouled until your shooting sessions were completed. To scrub a barrel between shoots was not conducive to retaining POI.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2022 at 6:50am
Yes, this was the thinking for service grade barrels, some fouling was thought to be a good thing.  High end match barrels perform better when kept relatively free from fouling.  The Benchrest guys figured this out on their quest for 0.01 inch groups at 100 yards, that’s why the keep it clean. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2022 at 7:02am
Here’s an interesting article that gives some common views and some differences in cleaning methods.  

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2022 at 7:04am
I must be that one lucky individual that, regardless of owning a rifle with a Service Grade or Match Grade barrel can keep doing what I have been doing in regards to my cleaning regime and still maintain accuracy...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2022 at 7:34am
These guys have a different standard of accuracy.  The Benchrest shooters toss out the barrel after a few hundred rounds, likely in part due to the aggressive brushing they do every 15 to 20 rounds to get this extreme accuracy.  They are after one hole groups that require a 60x microscope to measure.  

Long range F-Class shooters clean less often, but they will clean after the match, not usually more than 60 rounds.  Many do not brush at all.  

For WWI and II Service Rifles, we will never get the standard of accuracy that Benchrest and Long Range F-Class shooters get.  For me, it’s about maintaining good accuracy for the least amount of barrel wear.  NOS barrels are about impossible to find.  I do have a new Criterion and Lothar Walther .303 barrel, which I will use on my No. 4 for Vintage Rifle Match shooting when it no longer holds the 10 ring.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2022 at 8:57am
Those are black powder jags.
The spiral is a stuck patch remover, insert push & twist pull.
I now only use the stiff blue plastic bore brushes without the brass cores.
Other synthetics don't seem to work as well.
They used to be marketed by Midway as "Stoney Point", but I don't currently know the brand.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
AussieShooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2022 at 11:13am
That's quite a collection of jags et al. Who knew???

Thanks for the overview of barrel  cleaning. As usual I am a little early (or late) as I just invested in some new cleaning equipment but tended towards the Tipton products - hopefully they are considered OK.  Rod is single piece composite, ball bearing, and has a moveable handle which can act as a rod stop.  Seems pretty good to me, and I think technique maybe more important than the equipment, assuming it is quality. 

I also use Hoppes 9, but i include a brass brush as the first step in each cleaning cycle, I don't rest overnight, and have a bad habit of storing the rifles nose up.  I think I will make some of these changes as suggested. 

I am having trouble understanding how you use a patch on the Parket Hale jags - I'm sure its straight forward, but I cant picture it.  The Tipton jags have a pointed end. 
"Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges" - Tacitus
The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2022 at 12:15pm
AussieShooter, 

The Tipton rods are good, I have one.  Just make sure you are using a rod guide in the receiver.  

The patch is simply rolled around the jag.  The jag holds on to the patch very effectively and allows you to work the rod in both directions.  I use a 3 x 3 inch flannel patch and cut it in half.  These hold a lot of solvent. 

When dry patching, you can use the patch four times by reversing it, and then flip it over for two more times exposing a clean section of the patch each time.  

I find the piercing style jags will sometimes cause the patch to get jammed in the bore if you pull back on the cleaning rod.

Roll the patch diagonally when applying solvent to the bore, you don’t want a tight fitting patch for this. 

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2022 at 12:30pm
The L8 7.62x51mm barrel was NOS when I purchased it. I have roughly 850 rounds through it to date. It is as accurate as my M700P I recently sold and it is more accurate than my Gunsite Scout Rifle. The irony to all this is that, the No4Mk1* LB is as accurate as the 7.62mm Enfield. I will never be a BR shooter simply because I don't have that kind of money laying around. I can definitely shoot like the F-Class guys. I used to shoot in a very similar situation but with more changes in elevations and terrain. Everyone has there own cleaning regimes and mine was what was instilled and ingrained in me when I first started out professionally shooting...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic