Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

For the Lithgow experts, which I am not.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2022 at 3:20pm
Prolly typo;
PAA;Proof Action Assembly. 
Looking good on the photo’s!
Cheer’s Thumbs Up
Anyone seen the Tardis Box anywhere? 🤨
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2022 at 4:14pm
PAA thats it! thanks.
Incidentally I've now found evidence that refinishes at Lithgow in the later days were in fact black park.
Its looking better & better.
Plus the same mismatched type font "B" on the breech as the action!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2022 at 4:49pm
Shamu I’m interested in the black finish info, can you expand on that?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2022 at 7:07pm
Let me go & find the original.
I'm looking everywhere, "research" & it's come up in several places, so it may be the same misinformation repeated.
I am NOT wedded to this, but I am looking. If I made a mistake that's fine, I'm just looking to see what the truth is.
"Buy the gun, not the story" works both ways maybe?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2022 at 7:34pm
No I’m not doubting it, you may even have seen threads where I’ve subscribed to it. Standard finish on new rifles built in the SAF after mid 1941 roughly were a greenish parkerised finish, as were FTR’d rifles from 1945 through the 1950’s. However, Ive noted rifles with early/mid 44 repair dates on the butt having undergone varying levels of repair that had a mat black parked finish. Not sure if they were done in the small arms factory, orange annex or lower level ordinance workshops, but seen enough to suggest it’s legitimate. Also many others that have had similar repairs with no date stamps at all, so can’t rely determine when it may have been done but a general consensus is they may have been done much later, possibly in preparation for sell off or special orders, cadets maybe or just tidying up after the SMLE was basically obsolete. 
Could be completely wrong of course, haven’t seen any published data on this. It’s purely observation.
This rifle however still looks more of a build up to me.  
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2022 at 10:45am
I went all over the net searching for various versions of
"Lithgow SMLE"
"Lithy SMLE"
"Jovino SMLE"
"41 Lithy SMLE".
&
"LIthgow built or JJ&CO SMLE, tell tale differences"
Searched both for "all" & "Images"

& in the course of that found several pics of black park finished '41 rifles. One of them was a Jovino the others weren't in any way similar to the "blond bitsters". They also had several other features common to mine, features that I am just finding out about.

I also got confirmation from some Aussie mates one of who knows 2 "old Guys" that actually worked at Lithgow back in the day.
He asked them & they also agreed that it was done for a while.

I'm still doing the usual birthday cleanup as it was stored untouched for many years & so is overdue.
I have found the bolt head overclocking is good, both recoil lugs are bearing 30(ish)% & evenly. I can't get a 3 thou feeler gauge in between the butt socket & the rear of the forend (I was afraid of bending the 2 or 1 thou) Firing pin protrusion is within tolerances darned near perfect in fact. Trigger pull & bolt/safety function is 100% also.
Today I'll check headspace.
I have some RLO on order & when it arrives I'll give the stock some TLC, but that's on hold for right now awaiting the deliver of RLO.

I understand your skepticism & welcome it I like to have a counterbalance to my thoughts.
Even though I found images of several Non Jovino ones I have no idea where & when exactly it was done though.
If ts a build up someone took a lot of care doing it IMO. This kind of fitting doesn't strike me as "drug out of a bucket randomly & slapped together"! Which is supposed to be Jovino's SOP.
I'd expect to find more sloppy discrepancies by now, but as you say who knows!

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2022 at 4:28am
The most important thing is that you are happy with it, and that it's safe to shoot!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2022 at 10:42am
Yep, & so far I'm seriously impressed!
Headspace passes a 0.067" NO GO, with about 1/4" of bolt knob travel left.
Trigger is smooth & crisp with a 3.5 Lb first stage & a 5.5 Lbs second stage.
Wood to metal fit is overall excellent.
Bore is sharp & shiny with good rifling
The Main screw is witness mark scribed & staked!
Someone, somewhere, put a lot of time, experience  & skill into this rifle, we'll probably never know for sure who or where.
I removed the lower hand-guard. (Ignore the Brass Kisses, that's  me using a "non marring" brass tool) to pop it free.Ermm
On the rear-sight & bore its stamped in 4 rows from muzzle to breech
"L"
"HV"
"SC"
"MA 41"
& a really tiny matching serial number matching the barrel & receiver right near the hinge.
This pic Shows the "missing" rasp marks rather well too.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2022 at 11:23am
OK, more pics as promised.
These show the wood surface in better detail including the rasp marks. I've also discovered a very lightly stamped item or two under the forend, about 1/2 way down along the length "S" (or5) 08 03. Further down, close to the end cap. "B" & Slaz 43.
Some have told me they see a
"JJ&CO
NY.NY"
 on the right side charger bridge flange but I can not see it even with a good quality 10X apochromatic lupe & directional lighting. I think its simply a slight imperfection in the metal being misinterpreted?

I haven't totally stripped it yet, I'm waiting for my RLO to arrive there's none locally. Maybe then I'll find "The Brand of Shame", even if I do its just an indication it was imported by them so I'm not worried.
I haven't taken it to the range as I'm still in the process of joining a new club & its a long slow process.
Ive been to one monthly meeting & introduced myself, the club voted on new applicants at the next monthly meeting & now I have to go for a range safety & orientation which is happening this Sunday. Then I get my membership & range keys & can shoot whenever I can get there.

SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2022 at 12:07pm
👍😎🍻!!
When you say (stripped it) y’all meaning ya gonna drop the fore-stock off it? 
Cheer’s today. 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2022 at 1:41pm
Yep pulling all the wood off (carefully).
Then I oil all the metal & frequently apply some Vaseline as a waterproofing agent!
The wood will get a couple of coats of RLO as they tend to be a bit on the dry side.
I also got a bit of information I want to check out.
It was common practice for the fitters at Lithgow to pencil the PAA numbers into the barrel channel to confirm they were fitting the same wood to the same action today as they were yesterday!
Now I actually have the rifle in my hands I notice two things about the wood.
Its much darker that it looks in pictures, almost as dark as the walnut on the BSA!
The wood has far more & more distinct grain & figure than I expected. The full length shots on the Adirondak chair are probably the most accurate rendering.
Any thoughts on that?

SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2022 at 2:22pm
Righto 🍻👍
1. A photo of the style type (copper blocks) setup for comparison to a couple of my previous finds. 
2. A photo of the stock bolt plate would be appreciated especially if stamped marked out of curiosity too.
Cheer’s today.

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2022 at 3:42pm
The chair needs some oil!😁
SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2022 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Honkytonk Honkytonk wrote:

The chair needs some oil!😁
LOLLOLLOL
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2022 at 6:10pm
Its an Adirondack Chair!
they're supposed to be "All natural"
Heck, I scrubbed the mold & lichens off it three years ago.
Evil Smile
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2022 at 6:27am
Rifle looks great!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic