Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

For the Lithgow experts, which I am not.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2022 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

I have a Bayonet & scabbard, with a repro leather frog, for my existing 1914 BSA ShtLE. Its not a Lithgow though!

🤩😘😃

Those Lithy’s are getting very dearer from checking out the E/bay site’s! 😬😳😉🤞
Anyone seen the Tardis Box anywhere? 🤨
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2022 at 6:09pm
I think everything, everywhere is.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2022 at 11:26am
UPDATE:

The rifle arrived at the LGS so I was able to handle & check it out personally.

No pics as yet & I have to wait till maybe next Thursday, (which means Saturday), to pick it up because of the distance. & the 3 day wait is now 2+3 "working" days one for the FFL & the other for me. For the Federal background check & so on.

Go figure!

Good things:

The recoil plates ARE fitted I could see them with a flashlight & a bit of a contortion.

The wood is nowhere as dry looking as it appears in the pictures I was sent.

There's more visible grain coloration than shows in those pics.

The matching assembly numbers are on the bolt handle bottom & left upper rear of the receiver.

The bore looks "minty"

The bolt face, while not "unfired", is only lightly marked.

Bolt overclocking is tight, maybe 2~3 degrees only.

Striker protrusion looks about right, couldn't measure though.

Stock fit to butt socket is good with tight & full contact. Actually all the wood to metal looks good.

I can not find a "JJ&Co" stamp anywhere even with a light & a lupe

Dubious things:

Odd semi-matching serial #! The bolt serial #, doesn't look like it ever had a prefix, or suffix letter, & the receiver's "B" prefix looks separately stamped from the digits. However it seems to match the alphabetical stamps used on the wrist for:

M A

LITHGOW

S.M.L.E.

The bayonet boss seems more "rounded" at the edges, than my 1914 BSA. Its is unnumbered.

There are no embossed marks of any kind on the butt stock. except the Slaz 44 (crown) 3 S on the bottom of the wrist.

I don't see a serial # on the fore-stock wood or the rear-sight base.

I couldn't check headspace in the store, but do have a set of gauges & will when I get it home, same with lug engagement.

Seller admits its been restocked & refinished. He claims it was "un-issued" after that. The finish is a nice deep black Park semi-matte one. Not the greenish-gray I'm used to seeing with South African (Savage) ones

I wonder where the stock embossing was done? At the Lithgow factor before shipping, or at the M.D. or Unit when received & allocated to a unit & added to  stores?

I do have high hopes, but am cautiously optimistic.

Hug

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2022 at 12:27pm
🥳🤞🍺🍻😋!! 😉
Anyone seen the Tardis Box anywhere? 🤨
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2022 at 2:06pm
Sounds pretty good Shamu. Congrats on the purchase and enjoy!  Do let us know how it shoots.
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2022 at 10:15pm
Are you referring to the Slaz44 when you say stock embossing ?
The slaz44 would have been applied when the butt was made at the Slazenger factory before assembly at the SAF.
Actually the wood looks very sanded to me. Hard to tell without holding it but an unmolested coachwood stock will generally have wrasp marks in all directions. Nice looking rifle, great it’s got recoil inserts, an excellent representation if you like shiny and new,  but not remotely close to an original rifle. 

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2022 at 4:56am
That is a very nice looking rifle! 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2022 at 6:26am
Originally posted by Homer Homer wrote:

(...an excellent representation if you like shiny and new,  but not remotely close to an original rifle...)
So what if it is not an original. 
Is it a bad thing not owning an original? 
There are alot of people who own an Enfield that have gone through a Factory Thorough Repair/Refurbishment and by that definition alone makes that rifle, "not an original AS ISSUED as it left its origin of manufacturing." Sometimes, "Shiny and New" is the best and only option for those who otherwise cannot locate an original in good working and reliable condition because, let's face it, alot of originals, unless kept in a museum type setting with proper ventilation over the years, those originals can and do end up looking like all those original rifles being sold by Tiger Imports or, they simply cannot afford to purchase an original due to the over-inflated prices being set by the owners assumptions that they are sitting on the Holy Grail.
If you are a collector and looking for an original? By all means, get an original knowing that all you and your collector colleagues will be doing, more likely than not, is looking at it through glass or on a wall accompanied by an accentuated Motif or, if you are the type who like to shoot what they own, then by all means get an excellent copy/rendition of an original and have fun.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2022 at 9:14am
"Are you referring to the Slaz44 when you say stock embossing" ?
Not really, all the other big "billboard stamps"!
I assume some were at the makers but the unit & so on was what I was questioning.

Actually the wood looks very sanded to me. Hard to tell without holding it but an unmolested coachwood stock will generally have wrasp marks in all directions.
The only pic I have looks exactly like what you describe, it just isn't photographed well. I'm not sure of the sanding mainly because the other embossed stamps that are there are clear & sharp which I wouldn't expect from a sanded stock?
"Actually the wood looks very sanded to me. Hard to tell without holding it but an unmolested coachwood stock will generally have wrasp marks in all directions."

I'll do some better ones when it finally gets released.

"If you like shiny & new"
I do Shocked Wink
This will b e the companion piece to my unwrapped mummy No4 Mk2!
I've actually been looking, waiting for one to appear.
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2022 at 2:25pm
Well thank you goosic.
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2022 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

"Are you referring to the Slaz44 when you say stock embossing" ?
Not really, all the other big "billboard stamps"!
I assume some were at the makers but the unit & so on was what I was questioning.

"If you like shiny & new"
I do Shocked Wink
This will b e the companion piece to my unwrapped mummy No4 Mk2!
I've actually been looking, waiting for one to appear.

Not entirely sure about unit marks and dates. I'd assume they were applied at unit level or base ordinance workshops but I've heard some suggest otherwise.
I wasnt trying to knock your rifle previously, I think you know what you have. Hopefully the plates were installed correctly.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2022 at 3:39pm
I wasn't thinking you were.
Actually, yours seems to be one of the most neutral posts I've read.
Please feel free to keep them coming I value them.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2022 at 6:21pm
Not everyone dances to the beat of the same drummer guys.
Ask me how I know!
Its OK to have different views.
I think my drummer is a Haitian voodoo one who likes Mantovani!
There's room for all of us here, which is why I prefer this forum to most others. Thumbs Up
On that topic The LGS called My "new" SMLE is out of BATFE jail & came home this evening.
give me a day or two & pics.
Let me know if there's a specific one you want.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2022 at 8:14pm
looking forward to seeing it , glad its outa jail - but is that BATF jail or your states jail really ? BATF does not jail my items save thatr 5 minute "further review " i get because i was born in a different state and my last name is one of the two most common ----or at least it was ................ill stop there 

i agree this is one of the most accepting sites ive ever been on  , its why i continue to visit after divesting all but my trainers , we have a friendly group that is helpful and well versed in the subject , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2022 at 11:31am
I always get a hold on a background check.
Tried the SS#, HOLD.
Real ID HOLD
I'm used to it now. MD has a hold too.
Why they can't be concurrent is "becuz".

Quick 'n dirty look under the rear (lower) handguard.
Ignore the brass kisses that was me using a non marring brass screwdriver ti lift the handgaurd.
Also PAA (assembly?) numbers on bolt & receiver match.

Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2022 at 3:14pm
That’s good…….matching barrelled action.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic