Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

#5 mk1 caliber options

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2022 at 3:35pm
Thanks Goosic, couldn't get my head around that one!
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2022 at 9:01pm
Confused
Why ?

Plenty of idiots out there loading AK 123g  pulled Pellets. With sh*te results at 300 yards.

Just want to know what the goal is ?

The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
Marco1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2022 at 11:45pm
6.5 x 55 swedish is a very nice calibre to use on medium game. Its almost identical to the No4 I have chambered in 303 / 25.
A once common Aussie/NZ calibre. sadly factory ammo is now unavailable, but easily reloaded as dies are quite common.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2022 at 10:11am
I've seen elk and deer dropped in their tracks with the 6.5x55. Pretty potent and mild recoil to boot! Keep us posted!
Marco1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2022 at 3:14pm
Yes, not much gets up and walks away after being hit by a 6.5mm Lapua mega 155 grain projectile.

Also about to test some Sako Blade (copper alloy projectiles) in 120 Grain.  Quite a longer projectile in comparison to a Hornady SST of the same weight.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2022 at 10:29am
If I remember correctly, kind of an odd looking bullet, the 6.5x55 was... the business end stuck out of the brass quite a bit.
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 10:01am
When Rhino was up from LA few years back, he hunted deer with my 6.5X55. He dropped a buck quite handily with 1 shot.
Loose wimmen tightened here
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 11:48am
But Hoadie, with all due respect, that was an eastern buck! They fall over at the mere sight of an entitled Liberal! I'm talkin' western Canadian Conservative bucks!😁😁
scottz63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottz63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

I was goofing around at my reloading table last week, and made what to me would be an excellent little Wildcat Cartridge. I cut a 303B case down to the same length as a .243W case and then full length resized it in the 243 die. If you stay under a charge weight of 34.5grns of either IMR 4064/4895/3031 you should be well under the 45000 CUP rating for the Enfield No4 action body, by my calculations. Can anyone recommend someone here in the states that could make a barrel for this 6mm303 round?

6.2x52r  Cool!
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Marco1010 Marco1010 wrote:

6.5 x 55 swedish is a very nice calibre to use on medium game. Its almost identical to the No4 I have chambered in 303 / 25.
A once common Aussie/NZ calibre. sadly factory ammo is now unavailable, but easily reloaded as dies are quite common.

Its quite commonly used to drop moose and bear, the Swedes designed this round to effectively kill humans at very long distances, and is still considered one of the very best, hard to improve on best.

In a survival scenario if I was offered a choice of No4 Enfield or a Swede M96, it`d the Swede hands down.

Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
scottz63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottz63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 1:26pm
Looks like a neat round. I see ShootersDelight, out of Australia, that sells 303-25 and has it in stock.

14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer
303 Hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 303 Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 2:53pm
I have thought about finding a parts No.4 to rebuild into a slightly more modern style sporter, and chamber it the 6.5x55 but with a rim.
In the top picture the cartridge on the left is a .303 British, the one on the right is a 6.5x55 and the one in the middle is a dummy rimmed 6.5x55 using a .303 case.
Then you still can use the stripper clips and the standard magazines. The only thing that you will have to watch with the rimless swede is in the factory ammunition because the 6.5 maximum length is 0.075 of a inch longer than the British.
The Lee Enfield is to the Canadian north what the Winchester repeater was to the American west.   Cal Bablitz
303 Hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303 Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Honkytonk Honkytonk wrote:

But Hoadie, with all due respect, that was an eastern buck! They fall over at the mere sight of an entitled Liberal! I'm talkin' western Canadian Conservative bucks!😁😁

πŸ˜πŸ˜†!!
The Lee Enfield is to the Canadian north what the Winchester repeater was to the American west.   Cal Bablitz
Marco1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2022 at 10:11pm
303.25 reloading dies are available from simplex in australia.  Its a neat calibre.
plenty of load data out there as it was used for decades in OZ for hunting.
25. cal barrels should be easily sourced.  typically I hunt using either 87 grain or 125 grain projectiles.
boat tail 125 gr seem to work out best for deer.  
If you want something with a bit more punch there is the option of 303/270.
yumastepside View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yumastepside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2022 at 1:15pm
If you can't get 303-25 reloading gear in the States, just go to 257 Roberts using a necked down 7x57 rimmed case...same thing basically, I have both, use 303-25 load data.

Roger
roger
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2022 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by 303 Hunter 303 Hunter wrote:

In the top picture the cartridge on the left is a .303 British, the one on the right is a 6.5x55 and the one in the middle is a dummy rimmed 6.5x55 using a .303 case.
Then you still can use the stripper clips and the standard magazines. The only thing that you will have to watch with the rimless swede is in the factory ammunition because the 6.5 maximum length is 0.075 of a inch longer than the British.

β€œStripper clips”?  Where is Hoadie?  Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic