Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Bayonets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need Help identification on this Bayonet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2022 at 7:12am
This is a 1907 pattern bayonet for the smle number 1 Lee Enfields, it fits all the variations up to the Number 1 mark lll*, unfortunately not for the number 4. It was made by Wilkinson, datestamped 8/ 1917. I have a similar bayonet made by Sanderson datestamped 3/1917.
Pensioner, classic type arms like muzzle loader, early Colt and Remington handguns and Milsurp guns enthusiast
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2022 at 12:38pm
I thought this was a new thread, my bad.
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2022 at 2:50pm
I don't understand the question, sorry. What are you looking for?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2022 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

I don't understand the question, sorry. What are you looking for?
The original question was asked if a 1907 Pattern bayonet would fit a No4Mk1.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2022 at 1:08pm
Ok NOW I unnerstann.
The P-14 versions had "lines, or grooves" cut across the Wood scales to identify them a being for the different muzzle size & shape of the P-14 from the SMLE which they wouldn't fit although looking similar at a glance.
like this:
https://militaria.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/4-16R-2-scaled.jpg
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2022 at 5:20pm
that is correct - except in a couple rare early instances , i think it was the vickers made that had the same smooth scales , but then those are so rare that we seldome see them and i doubt many got into the supply lines , i ve only seen one , 
Strangely Brown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangely Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2022 at 3:13am
The BDS stamp on the pommel has me stumped! 

BD usually signifies the county of Bedfordshire and BGS stands for Bedford Grammar School. 
BDS is not listed in Skennerton's The Broad Arrow so my best guess is that it might be a miss stamp for Bedfordshire Grammar School or possibly a stamp for just Bedfordshire School. 
Having said that Skennerton's book has many missing stamps which have surfaced since it's publication(s). 
Mick
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2022 at 3:09pm
"Bristol Grammar School" also used "BGS" on a bunch of stuff, & they had a CCF, what, if anything it was marked I have no Idea though.
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2022 at 1:12am
Goodday gentlmen..

The '07' i  question in the original post, was manufactured by - Wilkinson Pall Mall. The 'pall mall' section... ( always underneath the 'Wilkinson' ) is very sparsely stamped, though still discernable. 

Sarge.
This is MY rifle, there are many like, but this one... is MINE!
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2022 at 1:19am
'Shamu'.... Are you referring to the rifle or bayonet in this instance??? 'P14' = The rifle. The bayonet you illustrate is a 'P13'. The Americans had two versions of the same bayonet... the Model 1917 ( M17 ), and the Model 1917 - mistamped as 1918. many American's refer to the P14 as the non-existent 'P17'.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2022 at 12:15pm
The version of the bayonet made to fit the Pattern 14 Rifle, not the rifle itself, nor the U.S. M1917.
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2022 at 6:58am
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

The version of the bayonet made to fit the Pattern 14 Rifle, not the rifle itself, nor the U.S. M1917.

Appreciate you clarifying that 'Shamu'. I thought you might be slipping there for a second.  
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2022 at 5:26pm
just so we dont mislead here - 

the american companies remington and winchester produced the pattern 1913 bayonets for the P1914 rifles first for contracts for the commonwealth , then later when those were done the remarked some to M1917 for their american contracts for the M1917 rifles , 

yes there were a few that were marked 1918 by accident as per common US practice for the M1905 but this was corrected , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2022 at 5:34pm
Oh I am slipping.
I know it
I dislike it.
But I am not the person I used to be.
Please feel free to correct if needed, I promise I wont get mad if it's legit.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2022 at 5:54pm
i hope i didnt overstate , but just for S&G the Pattern 1913 and Model 1917 bayonets will interchange between the P1914 rifle and M1917 rifle ....just not the no1 mkIII-III* that required the P1907 blades  [that was the design for the P13 and M17 bayonets]  hope that helps more , 

the US continued the cross cuts as the canadians and others were using both P14 & M17 rifles 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2022 at 6:11pm
That's good to know. Its outside my field of expertise though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic