Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Info for New Enfield Owners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rims jamming each other in the magazine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2022 at 9:06pm
that makes sense , ive never noticed the bevel , but then i always shot milsurp ammo in mine , its what my father gave me for the mkIII and what i bought to resupply , i guess ill never have to worry of it as i have enough for the rest of my life - assuming its as short as i think it might be 

NO , im not dyeing yet but im certain its just a matter of time but i have a supply and shoot these seldom , at current rate i can go for 20 years - ill not live that long , 

now 22s might be a whole nuther story , but 12 ga im good and 45 colt is looking promising i need to work on the 38 spcl tho , 
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2022 at 3:05am
I use PPU in all of my .303's. I use the chargers for reloading in the competition's. If the rounds are properly placed in the chargers, I don't have issues with jamming. However you do need to ensure that the rounds are pushed well into the magazine, and allow the spring to push them back up.
If the first round won't pickup on the bolt; push the rounds down into the magazine well as and let them pop back up.
Usually this will sort them out.
One thing to look out for, is the quality of the charger clips.
There are some awful late production which don't work, scratch the cases and are not made of the proper spring steel. 
Wartime production are generally very good.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2022 at 3:45am
I’ve found the same thing.  But I rarely have a feeding issue in my Long Branch I use in matches, but it’s only charged with 5 rounds at a time.

Zed, do your matches allow magazine feeding in the prone slow fire stages?  Ours are single shot only.  Rapid fire stages are of course with magazine loading, we start with 5 in the magazine, bolts closed on empty chamber or bolt open.  Then a reload with a five round charger after the first five are fired.  For M1 and AR, it’s two rounds in the first clip/mag and 8 in the other.

scottz63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottz63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2022 at 4:13am
Originally posted by britrifles britrifles wrote:

My PPU cases don’t have that undercut just in front of the rim.  How long have you had those cases?

Late last year I think on those.
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2022 at 4:44am
Our match's are shot with 5 rounds in magazine, with a reload of another 5 during the time allowed. This is so it's an equal playing field for those that have rifles with a 5 round mag' as standard.
There is a command to load, followed by the command to fire, which also starts the clock.
Less variety in our matches, it's 200 m prone slow, 7 minutes for 10 shots. Then rapid is 200m prone 3 minutes for 10 shots.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2022 at 5:04am
Three minutes for ten shots should be quite comfortable to shoot, especially not having to take the rifle off your shoulder for single shot loading.  

Our rapid stage for the vintage matches is 80 seconds and time starts with shooters standing, so you first have to get into position, but even that feels quite comfortable.  It took me several years to slow down my pace, I was finishing in less than 60 seconds. 

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2022 at 9:21am
Yes 3 minutes is ok plenty of time.  To be honest, I generally clear the precision phase in 3 minutes as well. 
I know some say that it's better to take the full 7 minutes; but I feel that I get uncomfortable after 5 minutes on my elbows. So always shoot faster than necessary.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2022 at 12:09pm
I find that your focus and ability to hold steady during the respiratory pause only lasts about 3 or 4 seconds.  If you hold back the shot much longer than that, it will go astray, your better off going thru the breathing cycle again. Generally, I think your better to move thru the 10 (or 20) rounds fairly quickly.  I sometimes shoot smaller groups in the rapid fire stage, taking one shot each breath, about every 4 seconds. 

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2022 at 1:05pm
Agreed, I'm finding that the time is reducing as I get older too.
If time permits I do a couple of deep exhale (blows out the Co2) & full,but not forced inhale (loads the blood with oxygen) while looking away from the sight picture, just the eyes don't sh*t position, is a big help too.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2022 at 1:20pm
That’s a good thought Shamu, get some O2 in the blood, I keep forgetting to do that!  Staying hydrated too is important for vision acuity. 
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2022 at 8:41am
Would I be correct in assuming the bullets had to be staggered in a Bren magazine? Was loading a magazine done by hand or did they have a charger? Thanks!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2022 at 8:58am
That was one reason for the sharp curvature of the Bren mag in .303 so they'd do that, "jumping rims magic" as they went into the mag. You could use standard chargers. Plus the riflemen in a squad usually had several pre-loaded Bren mags in the big "universal pouches".
Charger adapter for bren:

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2022 at 9:45am
Anybody ever try to adapt a Bren magazine to fit a No4?🤔 (Be tough to shoot in the prone position!)
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2022 at 12:04pm
It won't fit. Its way too big to fit in the magazine well.
https://giga.joesalter.com/photo/11293/11293-04.jpg
Marco1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2022 at 4:32pm
Bren gun magazines were used on the Charlton automatic rifle which repurposed Lee Metford rifles on the Mk 1 and SLME rifles on the Mk 2. but i'm fairly sure this involved a massive amount of engineering rework.

scottz63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottz63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2022 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

It won't fit. Its way too big to fit in the magazine well.
https://giga.joesalter.com/photo/11293/11293-04.jpg
Too bad. That would be fun.
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic