Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > 7.62 Enfield
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any Antlered Deer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Antlered Deer
    Posted: July 08 2022 at 6:54pm
I got a Deer tag for the week of Oct. 21 - 31. The hunt area is riddled with scrub pines, mesquite, ilex holly and cottonwood. Along with steepsided granite canyons that occasionally open up to flatlands.
I will be using the Faux L8A5T. I needed a rear sight with a ghost ring unlike the TR versions that have had them removed due to scope clearance issues. I took a Poole manufactured MkI micrometer sight and filed down the outside radius of the ghost ring until I got the scope to clear while mounted to the rifle. This will afford me the luxury of being able use it in both capacities if the need arises. Without the scope the rifle weighs in at 6.8lbs so it should make for an excellent brush gun. I will be using a 180grn Norma Vulkan projectile with 39.0grns of VVN540 seated to a C.O.L. of 2.700"...
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2022 at 9:07pm
no worries , if you find them the brown is down , 
Doco Overboard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doco Overboard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2022 at 5:07am

Looks like in the second picture the ocular bell of the scope interferes with about half the diameter of the aperture.
Is your set up as such that you can remove the scope as option or is it intended to work in place?
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2022 at 7:43am
The iron sights are intended to be used with the scope removed. 
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2022 at 10:44am
I hunt and see what I can get.

Horns are nice but meat fills the freezer. No matter how long I cook them I can not eat horns.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2022 at 10:57am
There's only a certain time of the year you can hunt antlerless deer here and the hunt choices suck cowpies. The area i applied for only had 59 tags available.  I got tag 59. The area has a very dense population of Mule Deer and if you have the patience, you can typically take down a good size 8 point buck...
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2022 at 11:15am
That works for me.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Dragunov View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dragunov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2022 at 4:31am
I envy you. Our deer here in Florida rarely exceed 100 lbs. Thankfully we can make up for it in our hog population. Where did you find those Norma 180s?
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2022 at 5:01am
Optics Planet.com
They have excellent penetration and expansion. 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2022 at 5:02am
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

That's what she said!!!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2022 at 5:06am
Originally posted by Dragunov Dragunov wrote:

I envy you. Our deer here in Florida rarely exceed 100 lbs.
The last Muley I took down in my chosen hunt area resulted in over 100lbs of usable meat...
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2022 at 5:13am
Originally posted by Dragunov Dragunov wrote:

I envy you. Our deer here in Florida rarely exceed 100 lbs. Thankfully we can make up for it in our hog population. Where did you find those Norma 180s?
Typical Arizona Muley...
SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2022 at 5:38am
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

Optics Planet.com
They would prolly do wonders on feral donkeys too πŸ€”πŸ˜‰
Good luck with the hunting πŸ»πŸ‘
Cheer’s.
Anyone seen the Tardis Box anywhere? 🀨
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2022 at 9:24am
The southern part of our province has mulies, but very few my way. I've only ever seen two (shot one aboot 15 years ago. Had no idea it wasn't a goofy looking whitetail!) Now they don't "forgive" you for that. You'd get a fine. We do have some good sized whitetails, but I think I Saskatchewan still holds the "typical" world record, but I may be mistaken.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2022 at 9:34am
Went to the range this morning. (Preface: Everything was done at 100 yards only.)
I started out by using 168grn Sierra TMK's to get the 7.62mm No4Mk1* Enfield on target. When I was dialed in, I used the 180grn Norma Vulkan. This is where it got intresting. The 180grn bullets are flat based and shot 1" lower. No biggie there, just 4 clicks up and, "Disco." The intresting part is that the Vulkan Hunting Bullets produced a much tighter group than that of the 168grn Sierra Tipped MatchKing bullets with the boattail. It might have something to do with the bullet diameter of the Vulkan, which is .309" as opposed to the .308" of the Sierra. The end result for me is, "If there is something standing in front of me come this October, it's going to fall down very abruptly."
Each square is 1" to give reference to how tight the groups are using the Vulkan hunting bullets...
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2022 at 9:40am
That'll work!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic