Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > 7.62 Enfield
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any Antlered Deer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2022 at 7:11pm
i grew up in iowa , never hunted the overabundant deer , but it was always shotgun only , so is the southern third of minnesota because of the populstion density , line occurs right here where i am , south of the east west highway is shotgun north is rifle or shotgun , 
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2022 at 7:55pm
I was working in Ft. Dodge, maybe a four hours from Minneapolis? Never went hunting, but almost bagged several deer with the rental vehicle on the way to the plant!
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2022 at 4:43am
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

This is one of those times that the phrase, "It is what it is" applies spot on. The rifle can and does place projectiles in rather small groups out to distances of no greater than 300 yards and that's really all that matters to me. (The throat on this barrel is .010" longer than my Rugers with both rifles having exactly 775 rounds through them to date.) The target accuracy will have to be relegated to my Japanese made .243W Weatherby Vanguard with the Cold-Forged barrel...

I plan to experiment with the 168 TMK, have a box of 500 of these bullets.  I will find out how sensitive they are to seating depth, I expect they will be.

I have 155 Palma MK and 175 TMK loads ready to test at long range.  The 175 TMK is seated at 2.935 inches OAL which gets them 0.030 off the lands.  I suspect the 155 Palma MK won’t shoot well, at 2.850 they are 0.080 off the lands. Could seat them a bit further out, but then starting to lose neck tension on the bullet.

Im not constrained by needed to magazine feed these, only punching holes in paper (or thru the electronic target faces).

I’ve probably got 1000 to 1500 rounds thru this barrel shooting mild loads, so should not have much throat erosion. 

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2022 at 12:19pm
my family has a branch in ft dodge area , my uncle was postmaster in renwick after his heart attack stopped his farming life , like i said the deer were always abundant , just never hunted them - always pheasants and rabbits and squill oh my ....[sorry ...just slipped out so natural like , 
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2022 at 12:42pm
I forgot about the pheasants! Delicious! Guys would bring a bunch in to cook on nights shifts! I'm my opinion, best tasting game bird! We don't have any around here. Some people have tried to establish a "herd" but they don't seem to take. We are getting more and more wild turkeys though... and wild pork!
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2022 at 1:03pm
iowa had a great abundance of those growing up , i hunted them all my young life , 

i suspect your winters are too harsh , over the years ive noticed that sleet storms and the blowing ice storms kill off the pheasants , my dad said their beaks would freeze when they got exposed in those storms , predators might have something to do with it too , the chicks are susceptible to raptors and the fox/coyote/wolf/cats , not to mention the weasels , 

iowa had great fence lines for cover and a lot of corn and beans to eat , still does even tho a lot of the fences are gone now the lines were property lines and still exist as hedge/grass lines seperating fields , they are the habitat needed , 

a lot has changed tho , when i was a kid i could walk out the back door shotgun/rifle on my shoulder and start hunting at the end of our property where we quit mowing and the woods started east of the farm fields a short walk away - today if you walked out the back door of the home my father built us in 1956 you would approach that same woods [and ravine that preserves them] but on the other side you would find 100s of acres of homes - they would frown on your rifle/shotgun and call the cops on you , 
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2022 at 4:28am
When I was young we had ringnecks everywhere! Walking to school you'd flush 'em(startle the crap outta ya) See 'em dead on the road - hit by car. Now theres none.
We used to hunt rabbits along the Welland canal in the late fall / winter. Now that's all turned residential & park etc.
"Progress" aint all its cracked-up to be!
Loose wimmen tightened here
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2022 at 6:47pm
gotta agree with that sentiment , when i moved here we had pheasants in the yard - there were fields of corn around us , now all have been 'developed' into housing , when i once was on the edge of town in the township we are now annexed and more or less in the center of town , 

my property on a river running through town to the mississippi about eight blocks east of here is till looking remote and parklike but its not like it once was , still have wildlife but not like when i moved here  , the neighbors cats run lose and hunt my wild areas that ive maintained between me and the neighbors property , ive got near 2 1/2 acres so i can do that , a lot of the development around me are less than an acre and fully landscaped , im glad to have what i have but im getting older and less able to take care of it - one day we may need to give it all up , not looking forward to that day at all , 
Dragunov View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dragunov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2022 at 7:29pm
A square 10, here in Florida, if you have at least 1acre, with only one house on it, you can shoot on your land, so long as the bullets don't leave your property. 
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2022 at 8:39pm
that is an issue here - not the bullets leaving the property but the city ordnance against discharging in the city limits , even prohibits BB/pellet guns as well as archery equipment but i know a couple neighbors that ignore the latter prohibition , 

there is a decent natural backstop down at the riverbank but the walking path on the other side makes it real iffy for me to follow suite , i still do on special occasions tho , 
i work at the local gun range part time so i have free use of it - that satisfies the needs , 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic