Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

he!!o from Utah

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: he!!o from Utah
    Posted: July 24 2022 at 2:45pm
he!!o Enfield Rifle friends

I have one SMLE iii that I have never shot, it’s been a wall-hanger for several years and I know nothing about it. 
Hoping you guys can share some knowledge.
Please let me know what area is an appropriate place to ask questions about a specific gun and share some photos.
Bree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2022 at 3:45pm
The bayonet that came with the gun has “Australia” stamped in the wood and the blade has a crown with 1907 stamped in it and under that is ‘11 and ‘17
The other side of the bayonet has several markings some of them are a crown with 45 under it and D^D
There are several others that are very small

The serial number of the gun is 79140
There are symbols stamped all over it. I don’t think I can post pictures but I can possibly send them in a DM or email if anyone would like to see.

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2022 at 9:38pm
appears to be a 1911 dated SMLE mkIII made by BSA from the last photo , the first photo shows inspections ,  proofs and such , 
serial number should be on back of bolt handle , end of bayonet boss , top of receiver and right in front of that on barrel , may also show on bottom of wood forestock right behingd the muzzele end , it could also be on the bottom of the box mag , based on what little i see in the photos you have a very nice WWI rifle that may well have also served in WWII , it does not appear to have been upgraded to mkIII* status but we would need to see the rest of the stock - both sides as well as the rear sight to confirm that for certain , 

the top rear handguard looks to be missing but that could have been removed for the photo so i cant say if your missing anything yet , is the stock still full length and can the bayonet still be fitted ? 

the dates on the bayonet is a correct P1907 , the 11 and 17 are the date of mfgr and refurb dates , the D arrow D id the department of defense military acceptance , the very small marks are proofs and inspectors markings , nice to have this with the rifle and current to the era , 

oh - and welcome to the site , we are glad you joined us here 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2022 at 9:05am
Just post in the "Enfields Rifles" section.
If you're asking about modifying or repairing something  then "Enfield Gunsmithing".
Welcome aboard.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2022 at 10:21am
Welcome from Brandon, Manitoba, Canada!
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2022 at 12:17pm
Welcome from Texas
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Bree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2022 at 7:58pm

Thank you for the information! I though the 1907 on the bayonet was the manufacture date until your post.
I will post some better pics in the Enfield Rifles section, there are a lot of different makings on this and I have always been curious what they were and I am hoping you guys would be able to decipher what they are.

Olddust View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olddust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2022 at 8:09am
 Love the mkIII! Give us some more pics!
Welcome from East Coast of Canada!
SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2022 at 9:30am
Well howdy & welcome 🤠🍻 from the never never region of Utah.
Yep more photo’s as mentioned always appreciated & enjoying 👍😉.
Anyone seen the Tardis Box anywhere? 🤨
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic