Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Range Time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Range Time
    Posted: July 30 2022 at 6:29pm
We held a CMP match today it was  101F/ 39C 
turn out was light but I managed to win the Bolt gun match  with my 1903A3 Springfield
One guy shooting a AR15 worn a M1 Helmet with a Vietnam era cover for some reason the Mickey Mouse Club theme song was playing in my headTongue
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2022 at 6:36pm
i can hear that too , was that helmet even around in VN era ? 

but more seriously what did you win ? i hope something more in keeping with your success 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2022 at 6:43pm
I really don't get the "costuming for a match" thing.
A match is about shooting skills &, in reality, beating your self from last time!
If its a re-enactment match then yes, I get it.
If its a bullseye match then not so much.
I wore what was practical, unless it was a service thing, then I wore my No3 "$#1t order" coveralls & laid down a "shelter half" because of the sheep.
Censored
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2022 at 7:15pm
The helmet were still around for Vietnam  and many WW2 helmets got new liners and covers and got reissued 
Have a Nice Day
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2022 at 7:19pm
that explains my FILs that he said he was handed in VN , i thought it might have been a behind the lines thing but he was in saigon when he was on land - coral sea when afloat IIRC , he was a nuke sub guy tho so i could be misremembering , 
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2022 at 5:48am
Only time I’ve seen the “costume” thing at a match is the D-Day matches held at the CMP Talladega range.  I get it for that match, buy why on earth wear a steel helmet when it’s 101 degrees?  I really start to struggle once the temp hits 90, that’s about my limit.  

Congrats SW28fan.  Glad to see some guys getting out there.  Did you also shoot any of your LE’s? 

I really need to get my 03 configured to shoot in the Springfield match.  It’s a A3 with a repro M82 scope, I plan to remove the scope and mount and install front and rear sights once I find a set. 

SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2022 at 8:32am
I only shot in the one relay the heat and humidity wore me out and I was running the match
Have a Nice Day
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2022 at 9:26am
My brother-in-law is a big IPSC shooter in Canada and his dedication, practice and  attention to his weapons performance always leaves me thinking of him as a Mad Scientist! My hats off to those that pursue perfection... but even he says in the shooting sports, that's unattainable, but half the fun is chasing it!
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2022 at 11:54am
In France the competition rules state that you cannot wear military uniform. But I expect that means full uniform! 
We are allowed a US Marine corps shooting jacket for example.
But wearing a steel helmet in 101°f is pure madness! Better off just using some quality ear protection.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2022 at 12:55pm
I question my sanity every time I put on my long sleeve shirt and shooting coat when it’s above 80 degrees. 
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2022 at 10:39pm
all my shoots - CAS are costumed these days , you get the coolest duds you can ffind and suffer thru it as best you can , im not complainin , after all the cowboys we are emulating wore that all year round , im always happy to get back to camp after shootin shed my boots and hat and go to a T-shirt because it means a cold beer and a chair , maybe a steak fresh off the grill .........and later a ceegar - im i heaven with my friends close by , dont get any better than that , 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2022 at 4:43am
I do “get it” for cowboy action shooting, it’s part of the experience.  Sounds like a lot of fun…
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2022 at 1:31pm
CAS was something i was interested in a while back when it was very much a family affair so everyone could participate. But a lack of venues in NY & MD kinda killed that.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2022 at 7:39pm
thats too bad , i started out shooting it with a family of five and some other assorted friends with kids , there still are a lot of younguns interested and participating around here but ive gotten to the elder statesman category now so i get put on a posse with a loth of other older shooters - im OK with that , no one acts like your holding them up 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2022 at 11:53am
It's the politics round here. CAS is "dangerous, more so that bullseye" Many ranges even mandate shooting from a bench only or having those hideous "noise abatement tubes", & a bench!
Unfortunately when you look at the average shooting skills (or lack of them) displayed you realize they're actually bullet traps for those who couldn't strike a bovine in the butt if holding the tail with the other hand.
Just look at the quantity of bullet strikes  & relate them to the targets downrange!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2022 at 4:02pm
It’s stories like this that make me so thankful I have chosen the South East to live in.  I’ve got plenty of ranges in the area with no ridiculous rules or not allow shooting in position.  Best of all, I’ve got a world class range out to 600 yards just an hour and a half away.  

But even here, it’s become almost impossible to get approval to build a new range.  There was plans in work to build a new range facility even closer to me that went out to 1000 yards, all with electronic targets, for hosting CMP matches.  But alas, they buckled under the pressure from the leftists and called it off.

Who knows, Service Rifle shooting could well get banned altogether in my remaining lifetime. I sure hope not. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic