Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stubborn Striker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 6:54am
Originally posted by Doco Overboard Doco Overboard wrote:

Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

The threads are different between the two.
You would have to cut and then section the two, and rejoin them if a replacement wasn't readily  available.
Somewhere recently I looked at an image of a No 1 with a No 4 cocking piece screwed onto it.
Might have been on GB I think.
Makes me cringe the more I think about it. Cry
  What you recommend by sectioning to pieces would not work. You would have to have to be so precise in your measurements first and then shape both sectioned ends to a diamond point, create a jig that rotates so the weld is uniformed while it is rotating. You would need to weld from the center of the piece out making certain no flux or air pocket is left. You would then need to heat treat the whole striker but only after you have trued up the striker itself.
The threads on a No4 striker is 1/4"×24 tpi, same as the King Screw.  The threads on a No1 use the British 0BA Standard. If all you have is a No1 striker available, recut the threads to 1/4"× 24 tpi as well as cleaning up the cocking piece threads with a tap.
Sorry, but I completely disagree.
I didn't say easy, or even efficient for that matter.
Or, this is a kitchen table, armorers/do it yourself task.
But...... saying it wouldn't work, is probably even wronger.
Thanks very much for your input however. (taps dies etc)
That's very useful for Enfield rifle systems.
Disagree as much as you see fit to but there is no way to do what you have suggested be done without having a massive safety issue involved let alone keeping the original dimensions intact.  Your do it yourself kitchen table Bubba Gunsmith might get it to work ONCE but at what cost? The (tension/potential energy) put on that striker by the spring when the cocking piece is engaged is anywhere from 16 to 20 (foot pounds) of pressure. The only thing keeping that 16 - 20 foot pounds of (tension/potential) energy caged within the bolt body is that striker. If the tabletop repair were to fail as it no doubt would, the direction of the (kenetic/released energy) would be aimed directly at your face and come from the cocking piece and whatever was left of the striker. Ouch Saying that it wouldn't work is an understatement.  It wouldn't work safely if it worked at all. A fools errand if an attempt at such a repair is ever considered and completed.  It makes me cringe the more I think about it...

Look,
I think becuase your fixated on "theirs no way" and devolving into safety issues I can tell you already dont know how to do the job.
Soon as you went on about grinding into diamond points welding heat treating, holding critical dimensions etc. It was then I knew you really didn't know what your talking about.

Also if I  didn't know any better, and becuase one could tell your more interested evidently in having or looking for a disagreement, rather than simply asking how would you do it?
I think I can leave this matter, at least on my on behalf alone right now.

Have a great day and again, thanks for all of your valuable contributions and knowledge sharing to the forum.Thumbs Up

The way in which I described reassembly would be the only way to do it so it becomes one solid mass again. 
It would be very interesting to learn how you would complete the task yourself. How would you do it?

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 10:59am
OK,there is something you can do without all the Bruhaha.
Swap the striker, cocking piece & locking screw as a set.
all No4 or all No1.
No, the No1 won't be "correct" but it will be fully functional.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 11:04am
I got my mini lathe setup to see if I can make a duplicate No4 striker using 5160 steel...
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2022 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

OK,there is something you can do without all the Bruhaha.
Swap the striker, cocking piece & locking screw as a set.
all No4 or all No1.
No, the No1 won't be "correct" but it will be fully functional.

That’s what I suggested Shamu.  Forgot about the striker locking screw…and it would be a different thread as well.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2022 at 3:47am
Seems to be a lot of fuss about a easy to fix problem! 

It's not the first time someone has messed up a cocking piece and firing pin by forcing mismatched threads. 
Just buy the correct striker and cocking piece for your rifle; replace the broken tools and fit the new parts to the bolt. 
Check the protrusion and reader clearance are to spec' and your good to go!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2022 at 7:01am
Yeah, I was just pouring a little oil on trouble waters! Wink
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
pisco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2022 at 2:21pm
I had one I couldn’t get out years ago ended up cutting it off and screwed it up as tight as I could in the vice and it still took some getting out 
Anyhow it come apart and I got it to work properly 
Breaker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2022 at 6:19pm
The real problem here are some of the parts dealers. I ordered a striker and cocking piece for a #4 rifle, got the #4 cocking piece but a #1 rifle striker. Also ordered a #4 sear but got a #1 rifle sear. of course that didn't work at all. 
   So, for now the #1 striker is cold thread welded to the #4 cocking piece and working amazingly well!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic