Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lee Enfield markings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lee Enfield markings
    Posted: August 04 2022 at 6:48am
Good day all, I am Johan Ferreira, 65 Years old, since age 14 Lee Enfield shooter and enthusiast. I have a 1941 BSA number 1 mark iii* serial number 76643, with a few markings on that I cannot find the meaning of. The rifle is in fairly authentic condition, except for two scope mounting holes drilled by a previous owner in the receiver. I am in two minds about the scope mountings because failing eyesight might force me to mount a scope sometime. For the time being though, I still get a (sort of) decent sight picture with the number 1's rear sight mounted way forward mid-rifle. The number 4's rear sight mounted at the back of the rifle does not offer the same luxury any more.

The markings I am curious about are the following:
* on the butt stock brass disc: I P.H. The I could be a 1, it is clearly stamped by hand left of the P.H., slightly misaligned, and is somewhat smaller. at the bottom of the disc there is a number 116, stamped in the same size lettering as the I on top, it looks like it could haver been done by the same person. The P.H. appears to be a factory job. 

* at the bottom of the trigger guard there is a minute 1/8th of an inch crown (think so) and a very small arrow pointing upwards. 

* at the bottom of the bolt handle there is a crown, also about 1/8', below the crown the letters BM, (the B could be a 8).

* at the bottom of the bayonet lug the letter 5 is stamped. I noticed the same number 5 on the back of the trigger guard also. 

* the rest is fairly standard, on the butt socket, below the bolt handle: A crown, with GR below it, below left of that a B, and the date 1941. Then the rifle description SHT. L.E. lll*.

Would anybody have some info on this?

Regards.
Johan Ferreira

Pensioner, classic type arms like muzzle loader, early Colt and Remington handguns and Milsurp guns enthusiast
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2022 at 5:52pm
im going to say alll those marks are inspector stampings save the disc markings - those someone can give you a researched answer on i think , 

sounds like you have a very nice dispersal rifle , welcome , glad you joined us , 
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2022 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by JJJ JJJ wrote:

I am in two minds about the scope mountings because failing eyesight might force me to mount a scope sometime. For the time being though, I still get a (sort of) decent sight picture with the number 1's rear sight mounted way forward mid-rifle. The number 4's rear sight mounted at the back of the rifle does not offer the same luxury any more.

I can’t help with the markings, others on this forum have knowledge of this.  But, I can tell you that with failing eyesight, like I have, you are much better off with a aperture sight that is on a No. 4 vs the No. 1 open notch sight.  I shoot right handed, and I’m darn near blind in my right eye, and I still compete regularly with my No. 4 rifle.  I use a prescription lens in my shooting glasses that puts the focus on the front sight.  You do not want to focus on the rear sight or the target.  The human eye is incapable of focusing on the front sight and target at the same time, and to shoot accurately, you must focus on the front sight. A small diameter rear sight apature (0.04 to 0.05 inches) really helps increase the depth of focus, not possible with a open notch rear sight. 

If you have a No. 4 rifle, or can get your hands on a AJ Parker or Parker Hale target type rear sight for the No. 1 rifle, you will be surprised how well you can shoot with very poor eyesight.  

Welcome to the Enfield Rifles Forum! 

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2022 at 7:51pm
Welcome from Brandon, Manitoba, Canada!
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2022 at 11:49pm
Welcome from Paris France. 
I have fitted the "dioptre" type sights to two of my SMLE's. 
They are a huge improvement over the original; reducing group size through a more consistent aim.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2022 at 11:35am
I'm curious the O.P. says his No4 sights are worse than his No1 MkIII ones? Or am I mis-reading something?

"I still get a (sort of) decent sight picture with the number 1's rear sight mounted way forward mid-rifle. The number 4's rear sight mounted at the back of the rifle does not offer the same luxury any more."

I have 2 No1 MkIIIs & both have been considerably improved by adding "target peep sights" similar to what  "Britrifles" & "Zed" have.
Can we get a little clarification from the O.P.?

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2022 at 6:00pm
Yes, I wondered the same thing, hence my earlier post. 
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2022 at 7:38pm
Would those sights have been used during the war or made for competitions after? Thanks!
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2022 at 2:23am
Made for competition, before and after WW1.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2022 at 5:24am
I just think they look so cool! I've said it before, "Steam Punk'ish"! They are a bit pricey... mine was $350 CDN, but in my mind, worth every penny!
JJJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2022 at 7:35am
Thanks for the advice, it is a frustration that a sport I used to take part in and enjoy for 54 years now gets so difficult with age, I shall be on the lookout for a number 4 with appropriate sights, but I fear by the time I get the licence it might be really too late. (last licence obtained in 2021 took 2 years...) In the meantime, I enjoy my number 1
Pensioner, classic type arms like muzzle loader, early Colt and Remington handguns and Milsurp guns enthusiast
Twodogs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2022 at 12:55am
The crown with the letters underneath is most likely to be a proof marking. The BP/B8 is most likely a poorly struck BP which, with the crown, would be a standard Birmingham proof mark.

The marks on the butt socket would indicate, by the sole letter B as opposed to the whole BSA that the rifle was a dispersal rifle, which I think you probably already know.

terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2022 at 2:32am
Groete, Johan!
Met  beste wense van n' buurman.
  Terrylee, Randburg.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2022 at 10:34am
JJJ
if eyesight is the problem some of these "match sights" have eyepieces with correlative (& adjustable ) lenses built in. Might that help?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic