Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reproduction strikers from Numrich

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reproduction strikers from Numrich
    Posted: August 05 2022 at 3:17pm
Warning!!!
The reproduction strikers for Lee-Enfield rifles that Numrich has for sale are NOT heat treated! 
I bought a couple and after installing one I placed a primed empty case in the rifle and fired the rifle. Ejected the case to look at the primer and noticed that the indentation looked a little off kilter. I unscrewed the bolthead and could immediately see the tip of the striker was bent. Any suggestions or recommendations on a good method of a heat treat?
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2022 at 4:13pm
You really need to know the alloy to get it precise

but something like 1040 steel  if heated  to cherry red and then oil quenched and then normalised  by being heated to 550F and then allowed to air cooled will get to rockwall 55-60

The things you pick up working in research and development 
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2022 at 5:59pm
I'll give it a go and let you know...
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2022 at 12:12pm
It worked but not as I had hoped for. Except for the very tip and 1/4" back from the tip, everything hardened. I don't want to keep reheating the tip for fear of it becoming brittle but I need it done.
Doco Overboard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doco Overboard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2022 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

It worked but not as I had hoped for. Except for the very tip and 1/4" back from the tip, everything hardened. I don't want to keep reheating the tip for fear of it becoming brittle but I need it done.

Goosic, If you can find the pdf version of Howe's treatise on gun-work, (ver2) page 89 is loaded with valuable information to help with your problem solving effort.
Vickery's book is a another great source with the paperback volume available in the book section of the most popular online shopping network. (quick shipping)
 If I had the means I would get the former to you.
It is however available for viewing at another site. Version 1 and 2 if you dont already have it available.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2022 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Doco Overboard Doco Overboard wrote:

Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

Goosic, If you can find the pdf version of Howe's treatise on gun-work, (ver2) page 89 is loaded with valuable information to help with your problem solving effort.
Vickery's book is a another great source with the paperback volume available in the book section of the most popular online shopping network. (quick shipping)
 If I had the means I would get the former to you.
It is however available for viewing at another site. Version 1 and 2 if you dont already have it available.
With all that back and forth between us the other day and with the issue of these repop versions I got it in my head to make my own but until I go and buy the 5160 bar I wanted to try the heat treat first. I've got my mini lathe setup and ready to go so I think I'll leave well enough alone for the time being and use them for emergency purposes only...
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2022 at 4:43pm
When I was first reloading a guy gave me a couple of hundred used .303 brass. I broke a couple of depriming pins before realising they were Berdan! A welder at work gave me the same thickness of the broken pin in a tungsten carbide welding rod. Cut it length and it's still in that die after 25+ years! Tough stuff! Not related to the thread, but I wonder what the hardness of that rod was...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic