Rivets,pins and plates oh my!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rivets,pins and plates oh my!
    Posted: October 30 2022 at 12:48pm
Re hand-guard end caps
Absolutely did, held on with rivets.
see pic.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2022 at 12:20pm
Yup peen-ing these is a bit of a pain, much easier with a rivet press.
Hardly worth the price just to do one or two guns though.
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
Doco Overboard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doco Overboard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2022 at 9:53am
The No3 has a riveted sheet steel reinforcement both on the upper and lower hand-guards just at the underside.
The lower handgaurd only has two locations, one at the action body ring front, another at the middle band as does the upper HG at the same place just opposite the middle band lower portion.

I think heating the rivets what ever the type to anneal them, makes them easier to install. Krag rifles for out of context comparison are particularly delicate, I think becuase the Hg internal diameter is so trim.
In either case they're hard to hold, easy to break unexpectedly becuase of the leverage that occurs when squashing them over nice and flat.
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2022 at 6:16am
Originally posted by shiloh shiloh wrote:

Correction, I was thinking No1 MkIII.
The P14 No3 rifle has a steel reinforce under the wood which is trapped by the forward band/cap.
Similar to the upper rear hand guard for the No4 Mk1/*/2/3

I thought so, but having little experience of them is why I asked the question.

It one of the delights of the British numbering system - it demands 'attention to detail'.
You'd be surprised how many people get their No1 Mk3 and No3 Mk1 confused.
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2022 at 6:08am
Correction, I was thinking No1 MkIII.
The P14 No3 rifle has a steel reinforce under the wood which is trapped by the forward band/cap.
Similar to the upper rear hand guard for the No4 Mk1/*/2/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2022 at 5:35am
Originally posted by shiloh shiloh wrote:

Yes they do, front upper hand guard, has a nose cap that gets trapped by the nose cap.

Thanks for that - everyday is a schoold day.
I've never been drawn to the 'American Enfield' - I have enough trouble justifying my Lee Enfield collection to the Police.
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2022 at 5:30am
Yes they do, front upper hand guard, has a nose cap that gets trapped by the nose cap.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2022 at 5:20am
Originally posted by Doco Overboard Doco Overboard wrote:

I recently did some Hg's using same method as McTool with same results.
Sometimes if you look closely at the means of attachment, they're really tiny screws.
N03 rifles, or most other systems I always use rivets when I have to repair them.
Some of those originally had copper rivets, but brass for the most part is what I have found.

I don't think the No3 rifle had handguard caps, (although never say never) did they ?
Doco Overboard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doco Overboard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2022 at 3:55am
I recently did some Hg's using same method as McTool with same results.
Sometimes if you look closely at the means of attachment, they're really tiny screws.
N03 rifles, or most other systems I always use rivets when I have to repair them.
Some of those originally had copper rivets, but brass for the most part is what I have found.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2022 at 3:06am
Originally posted by Omen17 Omen17 wrote:

Hi all!

I’m looking for resources on how to properly fit the end caps on a No.4 mk1 rifle. I just purchased a new wood kit from www.prestigiouswoodstocks.com, and it’s just the wood. I know you have to rivet them, but I don’t know what size and material is to be used. Also, do any of you know where to find the typical top cap that is shorter and has a rectangle cut into it? I can’t seem to find one anywhere. Thanks in advance!

I was sure I had the drawings, but it turns out they are for the No1 Mk3 so absolutely no use to you, but if you ever need to replace the screws on the No1 nose cap they are 0.096" diameter and 56 tpi (bottom left hand corner of picture)

shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2022 at 3:05am
www.prestigiouswoodstocks.com, has the caps springs and rivets.
Mc Tool View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mc Tool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2022 at 9:23pm
I re-wooded my  #1 , bought rivets and washers of ebay for the rear hand guard ........but they were sh*te . The rivets didnt peen over they just bent in the middle .
 I bought small brass nuts and screws  and turned the nuts down untill they were the right diameter , then filed them to an appropriate thickness , did pretty much the same to the screw heads ....filed them down till the slot was gone  and fitted the spring clip to the wood , used pliers to screw up the nuts on the inside  making sure they were not contacting barrel, and then dremeled them up a bit . I think they look the ducks nuts, and as I was using locally made wood (some sort of beach ) and seeing as how some moron had drilled and tapped the action for a scope  ( me  40 years ago ) I didnt get to hung up on originality .
I could post pix when I figure out how to ( hint hint 😉😁)
Hamish  
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2022 at 7:44pm
I've never had a problem with BRP.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2022 at 3:34pm
I see that they are in Winder, GA. Stone throw from me.  Think I will drive over there this week and see what bits they have I may want. 
scottz63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottz63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2022 at 3:17pm
I've purchased several things from BRP Corp this year. Very good place to deal with.
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer
Omen17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Omen17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2022 at 7:17am
I just purchased it from there, I’ll let you know how it goes! Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic