Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Info for New Enfield Owners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just bought a beat up Enfield

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GFreshman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just bought a beat up Enfield
    Posted: September 17 2022 at 11:56am
Hey guys!
I'm completely new to these guns and I'm really curious on what I just purchased. I bought it to make a cheap and fun hay blaster/hunting companion and to learn some basic gunsmithing, but I can't identify what I've got. Posting the auction link since there are wayyyy too many pictures in the listing. What are y'alls thoughts?

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2022 at 3:04pm
It's a torn down sporter.
Kind of a fake L39 / L42 built on a SMLE that's been massively modified to resemble an L39 or M42.
It might be a good sporter But we're talking a $125 gun at best
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
GFreshman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GFreshman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2022 at 3:27pm
good to know. welp time to restore it!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2022 at 6:28pm
Its your rifle, you're free to do as you wish, but I do advise you the cost of (hard to find) parts will make this a labor of love but a financial money pit!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2022 at 11:47pm
i must agree that it looks a costly and time consu ming restoration , might be fine a the sporter it is , od not invest in it beyond your cost = that was about what id expect for this on the market you were shopping , 

that said it looks like it might be a possible restoration if you want it so 
GFreshman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GFreshman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2022 at 10:14pm
Quick update: looks like everything works perfectly. Just threw 20 rounds into a hill no problem. my only issue now is the handguard and how torn up it is. Does anyone know any good sources on getting surplus parts for these?

also any tips for left handed shooters? it's a little awkward working the bolt with my right so anything that helps would be appreciated.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2022 at 4:42am
I'm a left handed Lee Enfield owner and long time bolt action rifle guy. I've always cycled the bolt with my left hand, kind of drop the rifle a bit and reach over. Not ideal, but pretty quick once you get used to it.
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2022 at 5:17am
I was squadded with a guy on the firing line last year who was left handed.  In the rapid fire stage, he took the rifle off his shoulder, rotated the rifle about 45 deg to the left to cycle the bolt with his left hand then shouldered the rifle, for each shot.  He did all that in the 80 second time allotment for ten rounds, including the time to reload the magazine with 5 rounds.  I didn’t think he would make it, he broke the last shot with a second to spare…
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2022 at 9:07am
   I am ambidextrous and I use my right hand to cycle the bolt regardless of which shooting stance I have taken when using a Right Handed Bolt Action Rifle.  
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2022 at 9:46am
britrifles, that's exactly how I do it. Us lefties have always found ways to adapt in a right handed world!
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2022 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Honkytonk Honkytonk wrote:

I'm a left handed Lee Enfield owner and long time bolt action rifle guy. I've always cycled the bolt with my left hand, kind of drop the rifle a bit and reach over. Not ideal, but pretty quick once you get used to it.

Thats how I do it as well, kind of second nature now
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2022 at 3:10pm
If memory serves me, I noticed this is how both the snipers ( left-handed) cycled their rifles in "Saving Private Ryan" and "Siege at Jadotville"
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2022 at 3:54pm

If memory serves me, I noticed this is how both the snipers ( left-handed) cycled their rifles in "Saving Private Ryan" and "Siege at Jadotville"
You are correct. Just watched both scenes. 
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2022 at 4:48pm
who knew there were more than the average lefties among us ? i meant left handers of course , not political lefties 
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2022 at 6:39pm
And using a sling, you pretty much have to use your left hand if your shooting left handed…
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2022 at 2:58am

Just get one of these .....................

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic