Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > 7.62 Enfield
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A "New" No.4 Mk2 Target Rifle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangely Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2022 at 6:21am
Originally posted by britrifles britrifles wrote:

Also have had dud primers occasionally.

I would never have believed that dud or overpowered primers could cause so much trouble; the ammunition sourced for the Bisley 2019 NRA Imperial meeting was put together by the Lithuanian manufacturer GGG, who until then had enjoyed enormous success with their .308 target round. 
The bullet used was a 155gr Sierra MK and I believe the primers were also imported leaving GGG to produce the brass and assemble the components.

From the very start of the 2019 batch hitting the shelves in the range office stories started to emerge about broken primers on Swings, Paramount's and Musgrave's (from memory) some makes escaped the problem, Accuracy International amongst them although the target rifles they produced are fairly thin on the ground these days. 
It was believed that 20% of the primers were overpowered.  

Whilst bemoaning the fact I'm down to my last 300 CCI primers I conveniently forgot that I have about 300 Remington and 160 Winchester primers bought from a friend who emigrated to Nevada; the problem here is that I have had about 5 or 6 dud ones the majority of which were Remington, and I really don't want to waste time and energy loading substandard components. Having said that if the supply of CCI doesn't improve soon I may have to use them! 

Mick
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2022 at 7:55am
Mick, I assume you mean CCI #200, Large Rifle for the .308 Win.  #300 are Large Pistol primers.

At the Vintage Sniper Match last Sunday, we were using .30-06 Match ammo assembled with Lapua cases and 167 gr. Lapua Scenar match bullets, loaded by Creedmoor Sports on their high capacity machines.  Don't know what the primers were.  But, we had a hangfire; a good 2 to 3 seconds, happened to my shooting partner (two man team match).  He had just started to take the rifle off his shoulder when it fired, really surprised him (and me!).  We get 15 seconds to take the shot, so he was about to load another round.   

Needless to say, that shot went right over the target and cost us 10 points.  But, I shudder to think what might have happened if he had started to open the bolt.  You should really wait for 10 or more seconds on a dud, incase it goes off!

Strangely Brown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangely Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2022 at 8:05am
Geoff, that should have read, 300x CCI No.200 LR primers.

I don't think I've ever witnessed a proper hang fire other than somebody on the next lane to me firing some supposedly Pakastani Ordnance .303 which did retard for a fraction of a second. 

Decided to try some of the Remington primers again when my 200x Sierra Palma's turn up and keep the CCI for competitions.    
Mick
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2022 at 9:23am
In all the years of shooting lull bore I've had exactly two squib loads, one after the other!
It was a factory 7.62 with we assume, primer but no powder.

When I fired it I thought it was a misfire there was no sound except a "click" nor recoil either. When I opened the bolt there was a slightly smudged fired case, no bullet.
I did the old "dirty thumbnail trick" & its was black!
Pulled the bold & sure enough obstructed.
Dropped a cleaning rod in the muzzle to try pushing, or bashing it out & just the weight of the rod popped the round free.
It had exited the case & stuck just as the rifling started to engrave.
The next round was exactly the same.
I called "Alabi" & I returned the lot.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2022 at 10:23am
It sucks, but our CMP matches have no alibis.  I can see why, too many shooters and it would mess up the schedules pretty quick. 

Its surprising how much trouble primers can cause.  Numerous recorded cases of primers causing overpressure; particularly in hot weather.  So, don't substitute a LR primer for a magnum primer primer, unless your at the minimum charge in the load tables; otherwise, reduce charge by 2 grains.

The only load I use a "magnum" primer (CCI #34) is .30-06 loads in the M1, primarily because of the low load densities and for the reduced sensitivity to the floating firing pin tapping the primer as the bolt slams closed.  My loads are nowhere near max charge (I use a reduced charge of H4895 with a 125 grain bullet).  If any of you happen to have an M1, pull the bolt back on a chambered round that has been fed semi-automatically, you will see a nice little dent in the primer cup from the firing pin. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic