Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Resurrection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Resurrection
    Posted: November 23 2022 at 8:40pm
I had this bubba`d 8/44 Fazack N05 collecting rust and dust so I decided to resurrect it.
After reading various conversations on taming the beast, I decided to give it a whirl.

This rifle was bought on the cheap a few yrs back, the receiver is drilled and tapped, the flash hider was ventilated in front of the sight with many many tiny holes probably an attempt to negate barrel flip. Then the holes where bronze brazed closed, I`d assume, based on the gold color. At least its all matching.

So I restocked, with a No4 butt, larger recoil area, took the flash hider off and cut back the damaged forward area of the barrel, about 7/8 of an inch, Then proceeded to fit an M1a muzzle brake and sight. I got the front sight height close based off the original front sight, even if its too high there`s lots of rear sight adjustment.

Tomorrow will be test day, If its better and shoots decent, I may just have a new handy light weight bush gun, game getter. If nothing else, it looks cool, and otherwise turned a turd into something functional.

Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
scottz63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottz63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2022 at 8:46pm
I like it! Good work and let us know how it shoots. Thumbs Up
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2022 at 5:31am
Excellent work.

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2022 at 10:50am
That is a really cool looking rifle!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2022 at 12:42pm
Nicely done.
Watch out for alignment with that suppressor they're famous for strikes.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2022 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

Nicely done.
Watch out for alignment with that suppressor they're famous for strikes.

Thanx Gents, Range day tomorrow or Saturday weather permitting.

Shamu, yes alignment of these muzzle brakes are a pain, to say the least. The trick is making the threads dread nutz on and using a long bore rod to to confirm alignment. My bore rods are a snug fit zero movement in any axis just apply lube and insert slowly.....
So far so good, can`t wait to shoot this beast, it`d be nice to get more then 5 rounds down range before having to ice my shoulder....Ouch

I`ll get some better pics of it when I get to the range.
scottz63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottz63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2022 at 8:55pm
Can't wait!
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2022 at 4:38pm
 Got to the range today and it was very busy, Only got a 1/2hr window to shoot, took both the bubba`d No5 and the `41 BSA. Manged to shoot 5 shots with the BSA and 4 with the N05. Load was PPU brass, Win large primers, Hornady 174gr FMJ BT and 34.7grns IMR 3031.
 Both were shot out to 100yrd. BSA rear sight set to 200yrd, tin hat target, No5 sights set to 300 yrd, same target.(targets are upside down..lol)
 The BSA shows great potential, the No5 not so much, but I will say it is a lot of fun to shoot, barely noticeable recoil especially with the slip on recoil pad fitted. This thing is loud, made my ears ring a couple times even with my noise cancelling head phones on. Shot a bunch of hack 150gr plinking rounds before switching to the 174`s.
 First picture, No5, second BSA. No sight corrections as I forgot my tools and the time restraint. The 174`s grouped tighter than the 150`s from the No5, but still not great. Maybe I`ll dyck around with some bedding options and see if I can get any improvement.

This is the first time the BSA has been shot by me, it does show potential to be a good shooter.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2022 at 6:36pm
Isn't your "Tin Hat downside up"?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2022 at 1:35am
Originally posted by shiloh shiloh wrote:

Both were shot out to 100yrs. BSA rear sight set to 200yrs, tin hat target, No5 sights set to 300 yrs, same target.

Thats a he!! of a distance - is that light years, or normal years ?

Tongue
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2022 at 3:06am
Ha ha that`s funny, funny how d`s can turn into eses when you least expect it. (edited)

And yes upside down, didn`t realize that until I got back to the shooting position. So I just shot the rifles upside down maybe that explains the crappy groups.

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2022 at 6:34am
I do not see crappy groups there. I do not think like a target shooter either however.  What I see is a dead guy. You hold those targets over your chest and you will see what I mean. Those battle implements/ rifles were originally intended to get alot of projectiles down range in a hurry. If you were to take one of those used targets and copy off twenty of them and then place them side by side on the backing berm of your range and walk back to the firing line you will see the destruction that these Lee-Enfield rifles are capable of. Your rifles are still works in progress and with more time, your rifles groupings will get smaller with you calling your shots like Babe Ruth. I say excellent results sir...
scottz63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottz63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2022 at 6:58am
Nice shooting with the old girls!
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2022 at 12:05pm
Finally got some pictures, cheeck rest left handed(made from old sported fore stock), recoil pad I had laying around(works real well). Will be putting my old Weaver K3 on it.

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2022 at 3:42am
Great job!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
rb67mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rb67mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2022 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by shiloh shiloh wrote:

Finally got some pictures, cheeck rest left handed(made from old sported fore stock), recoil pad I had laying around(works real well). Will be putting my old Weaver K3 on it.

I love it, shiloh!!! I guess I should've used a N04 butt stock on my Jungle Carbine instead of the replica I bought. The extra contact area of the No4 butt stock is much better than the original. 
pass the ammo, please, the enemy approaches!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic