Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Bayonets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vickers P13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vickers P13
    Posted: December 02 2022 at 1:52am
Browsing my favourite online dealer sites two weeks ago, I came across this little beauty. One of only 1500 produced. One of the 'Holy Grail' of British bayonet Collecting. Thumbs Up

Now extremely snug in my growing British bayonet collection. Heart

This is MY rifle, there are many like, but this one... is MINE!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2022 at 8:20pm
very nice looking example , not as common as others IIRC
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2022 at 6:50am
Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

very nice looking example , not as common as others IIRC

Thanks 'A-Square'. Thumbs Up

On the day, I was looking to see if there were any 'Remington 07's' with manufacture dates I want. Actually passed by this twice... leaving the site each time. I can't explain it, but something niggled me, so i started looking at my online records that I have on the Vickers P13.... comparing pics, etc. Then it hit me like a sledge hammer.Dead Realizing that I had possibly let slip through my fingers... one of the 'HOLY GRAIL' of British bayonets.... I quickly logged back onto the dealer site again. There it was, still for sale...PPPHHHEEEEEWWWW!!!. I filled out all of the relevant details for the shopping cart, logged on the Internet banking... arranged payment-------> MINE. Beer

The 'Bayonet Bar' recess was filled with all manner of the usual crud from over the years, which didn't take long to clear out. The 'Locking Stud' was seized solid... but a couple of drops of 3-in-1 soon sorted that problem out.

Scabbard surface has seen better days, but it's solid overall with tight stitching.

All in all, the P13 is in superb condition. 

Now.... where are those 'Enfield Trails Bayonets' ???

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2022 at 5:41pm
you did well on grabbing that one - vickers made them early on but IIRC did not complete their contracts , the majority of these were made in america by remington and winchester with the prior being the majority and the latter harder to find , 

the very early P1913s had the same smooth scales as their predecessor the P1907 which caused some issues and the crosscuts were added to the scales to differentiate eliminating the non-interchangeable issues in the supply chain , 
scottz63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottz63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2022 at 6:23pm
Very nice bayonet! Congrats.
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2022 at 1:03pm
I appreciate that 'A square 10', 'Scottz63'... thank you.

I've quite an extensive P13 / M17 collection. Also a side collection of '07's. The Vickers P13 forms part of the missing link ( so-to-speak ) between the two collections. The two Enfield Trials versions are alo way up there. Maybe one day!!!

Dan Morrisons book...

... already the P13 / M17 collectors bible on the gere.... along with Skennertons...

are both bayonet collecting Bibles in their own right. The latter has helped me on many an occasion, as the former is now doing. Both volumes should be additions to any serious bayonet collectors library.

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2022 at 9:55pm
great collection of references as well , i have those too [or had all of them] may have let one go in my sales of my collection a few years back , have to look in the library and too lazy to get up right now , i know i still have the latter next to my grahm priest pikes , 

at one time i had examples of most every P13 & M17 including the VN era version - i still have one , but im not certain which it is , kept it for my 1897 trench shotgun , its not the VN issue as thats been gone since my US collection got sold a decade ago or more 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic