Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

History of this stock?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2022 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by smerdon42 smerdon42 wrote:

Yes it’s a Lithgow star, w ehave to remember that in ww1 a lot of rifles changed hands . Most of the rifles the aussie sand kiwis went to eygpt and gallipoli with where British manufactured rifles. It wasn’t until 1915 we started to receive our own rifles . 

After September 1915, very few Lithgow made rifles were sent abroad. Some rifles continued to be sent to the Middle East until the completion of the war but the bulk of the Australian army fighting in France and Belgium were supplied with British made rifles. 
I did read a thread recently by an Australian researcher who posted that a small batch of rifles did in fact arrive in France in 1917 and these were dated 1917 in a tight bracket of serial numbers. The key point is, the British had enough supply of rifles sighted for MkVII to equip the AIF in France, therefore very few lithgows made after September 1915 were sent to Europe.
scottz63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottz63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2022 at 2:15pm
Yes, good info. Thanks!
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer
scottz63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottz63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2022 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by shiloh shiloh wrote:

That`s cool info, did not know that.
Always assumed you guys were building your own rifles.
Learned something today, class is out, that`s all I can handle for one day....

Me too. My old brain cannot handle much info in one day like it used to. Lol!
rb67mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rb67mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2022 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by scottz63 scottz63 wrote:

Just bought it. :)

Good for you my friend! I hope to see the finished rifle sometime in the near future.Wink
pass the ammo, please, the enemy approaches!!!
scottz63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottz63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2022 at 4:57am
Originally posted by rb67mustang rb67mustang wrote:

Just bought it. :)

Good for you my friend! I hope to see the finished rifle sometime in the near future.Wink

Thanks, me too! Lol
scottz63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottz63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2022 at 8:42am
It came in and I installed it with the but plate and swivel. It fits really tight and looks good. Also a closeup pic of the markings. :)

SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2022 at 9:06am
Really a cool looking butt! 👍
Yep a (FEH stamp marking) underneath that date on top.
And it looks like a very small date underneath the (Kanga Shield) but I can’t make it out exactly.
Cheer’s 👍. 
Anyone seen the Tardis Box anywhere? 🤨
scottz63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottz63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2022 at 3:02pm
Thanks!

Just noticed is has AUSTRALIA stamped underneath near the socket end. Export mark I suppose?

SGonger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SGonger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2022 at 4:06pm

Thanks!

Just noticed is has AUSTRALIA stamped underneath near the socket end. Export mark I suppose?

No not on the furniture of the early butt’s,more like a code identification stamp (OA,MOA,SLAZ etc),an export stamp (Austrialia & other’s) would of been applied to different locations the action metal (master component) above the wood line.
Have a few butt’s dating to 1915-1917 stamped (Australia) in the same fashion as your’s.
Cheer’s today.

Anyone seen the Tardis Box anywhere? 🤨
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2022 at 4:37pm
Might they be US pre '68 IMPORT marks of some kind?
I know they're not supposed to be.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
scottz63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottz63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2022 at 4:38am
Thanks. I really like this stock. Lots of interesting marks on it. Going to have to see if I can read the date under the shield.

Edit: I can't make out the date. The last number is almost positively a 4 though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic